The Rune Combiner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Syrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

I recently found out that you can combine runes. Is it worth it and what happens if you actually combine some?

Cenerae

10-31-2011

It's something you do with runes you'll never touch again in the hopes of getting something useful.

Trade in 2 of the same tier rune, get a random rune of the same tier. Trade in 5 and get a random one of the next tier up.

I traded in all my tier 1 runes on this account when I eventually got all my tier 3, ended up with one rune I kept (I cant remember which) and a tier 2 scaling armor quint, and a tier 2 flat MR quint that just sit in my rune list doing nothing.

My smurf account got a flat t3 health quint and a flat armor yellow, which was nice.

Amatzikahni

10-31-2011

It's generally not worth it because the outcome is completely random, so it can leave you with total garbage or some amazing runes. It's much better to have a focus and get specific runes than to accept whatever the RNG decides to throw out.

15*5*5 = 375 IP if you want to combine 25 Tier 1 runes into one Tier 3 rune (I never looked at the price for Tier 2 runes so if there's a cheaper rune than 75 IP it would be less than 375 per Tier 3). Some good Tier 3 runes cost 205 IP, so already you're paying a higher price to combine your way up than if you were to outright buy them.

It's better if you store up IP and buy cheap champs that you have tested and enjoy playing until about summoner level 15ish, then store up for a generic rune page or two at level 20 just so you're getting a little help while you continue to learn champs and LoL in general. If you're really desperate to try jungling, grab a no-runes jungler at first since they are generally very easy to learn.

Edit: forgot to mention, as Cenerae said, that if you already have some runes that are worthless because you have Tier 3 runes already, you might as well combine them up and hope you get something useful. When I first did that, I calculated something like a 16% chance of getting a "useful" rune, but since I've played hundreds more games, I've learned that there are many more viable runes for different champs; I'd estimate the odds are right around 50%.

LightKerosene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

If you play a ton, i recommend you save your ip and read leagucraft and mobafire builds until you are lv 30 and buy one or 2 rune pages that fit your guide/ playstyle the best.

If you play moderately, make a few Tier 2 rune pages.

If you rarely play you may as well make a ton of tier 1 rune pages that way you at least have something to play with. Same goes for if you do not pay money to play and have to unlock all champs with ip...

larkhill

11-01-2011

ignore the combiner. every1 else does. its terrible and useless.

webkikif

07-26-2012

pls hao to make tier 3 health quint? pls halp.

ricepotato

02-24-2013

Rune combiner can be fun to experiment with, but have caution. Not so long ago some unforseen wisdom within myself told me to combine as many runes as possible for one great big rune in the sky. Turns out it was compleatly random lol, my stats got knocked down a bit.

LarcyBrown

02-24-2013

the rune combiner is pretty useless efficiency wise, its only there as an extra feature for people who so far only played the game and never bother to look at the website forum or a guide and even never bother to look at stats.
Basically if you using the rune combiner you dont even know what runes really are for ....
been there done that - its a toy for pre lvl 20 sumoners lol.

iDpark

02-24-2013

useful for getting rid of runes.

That's all folks.

MassofGravity

02-24-2013

The combiner is rarely used and you are better off just waiting so you can get the tier 3 runes you want.