Shyvana's Lore is worse than bad...it is boring

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreampod

10-31-2011

Shyvana looks fairly interesting from a model perspective and her skillset but dear lord the lore is abysmal. It is super generic with all the hallmarks of bad character backgrounds I (and many others) wrote up for D&D when we were 12. Half the background describing their race or circumstances of birth and nothing to do with the character - Check. Family killed in unexplained way - Check. Mysterious stranger showing up knowing everything about the character and them going off with them for....some reason - Check. Only the two sentences about her strained relations with her community start to suggest some real backstory and identity but there is no development of why this happened, how it impacted her, or why she left with a stranger for....some reason.

I honestly expect better than this out of Riot. There is absolutely nothing interesting or compelling out of this champion concept other than the fact she is half-dragon and you could have used that aspect while still making her super interesting (see Trundle for a good example of making a cool champion rather than "he's a troll"'.

Vuther

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
...Family killed in unexplained way...
I have to agree that felt really bad. There's a number of champions whose family is dead, but at least the background actually said what happened to them, instead of the bland "perished in disaster" Shyvana's got.

Mjaxon

10-31-2011

Agreed. Riot must have had a secret contest at a local middle school where the winner got to write the lore.

10-31-2011

Which leads to the next question, so what happened to JoJ?

belthazor3457

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37564 View Post
Which leads to the next question, so what happened to JoJ?
My belief is that their department for lore is currently severely understaffed.

They could ask some of the respected lore-forum goers whom have written highly rated fan stuff to help, though. There's some good quality stuff there. Plenty of us would be happy to help.

Gamefreak506

10-31-2011

I bet this should help answer some things.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=16361485#post16361485

Basically, it's as Bel says. The lore staff is pretty low.

EDIT: ...Let me guess, people were abusing the links?

Larcent

10-31-2011

It could be interesting ... if it turned out Jarvan had been somehow responsible for dragon dad's death (dragonslayer skin?) and is hiding it from Shyvana, reaching out to her as a way to assuage his own guilt ... perhaps.

It could also explain how he knew who she was.

ComanderMolander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

no Jarvan has a weird history with an woman he met on his journey to kill a dragon or something, my guess is that Jarvan killed this woman not knowing that she was the dragon

Zepy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComanderMolander View Post
no Jarvan has a weird history with an woman he met on his journey to kill a dragon or something, my guess is that Jarvan killed this woman not knowing that she was the dragon
flip it around bro

Dreampod

10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcent View Post
It could be interesting ... if it turned out Jarvan had been somehow responsible for dragon dad's death (dragonslayer skin?) and is hiding it from Shyvana, reaching out to her as a way to assuage his own guilt ... perhaps.

It could also explain how he knew who she was.
See that would be cool (and potentially still possible through the JoJ) but is completely absent in this...muddle of a character. It is a really bad sign when random forum dude (no offense) can vastly improve the champions lore without really making an effort just by identifying a potential connection and introducing some tension to it.

12345 ... 6