What's the best build for Pantheon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matthlord

06-21-2010

I recently bought Pantheon and I like him, very easy to rack up kills with using his bugged HSS.

I tend to die easily though, which I think is a real problem seeing as how I have to dive into the fray to do my damage and stand still and pray I don't die.

This is my build :
I go 21/0/9 in masteries
don't really got alot of good runes yet so I'll not bother with them.

I start with broadsword and red pot(to boost hss early on for a easier first blood)

then when I go back to buy I get brutalizer and basic boots (I get either tabi or mercs, depending on the enemy)

then I try to rush pickaxe or BF sword if I'm farming very well.
That becomes an early IE.

Then I upgrade brutalizer into youmo.

Then I get bloodthirster for lifesteal + damage.

And then I'm stuck, I usually doubt between using my last slot to use elixirs or to get an item that will boost survivability.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Noctellia

06-21-2010

Usually I rush Banshees. Give him the only survival he needs, really. After that I get brutalizer, bloodthirster, then whatever AD item I need.

Cactusgod

06-21-2010

In my opinion IE is worthless on pantheon. It does give nice damage, sure, but Pantheon is not really about crits. I'd rather get hard hitting items like a cleaver, bf swords (maybe turned to bloodthirsters, depending on if you could survive) I personally can't justify the extra expense of turning a BF into an IE.

I agree with the above poster.

Edit: One other thing. I prefer not to get a brutalizer and instead go for an early BF sword. If you can swing one of those, which you will once you get the hang of it, the early game damage is downright brutal.

LiFTeDyourFACE

06-21-2010

Go defensive masteries, Rush IE, merc treads, and then buy 4 guardian angels and pray the revive stacks since you'll be dying that often....

Noctellia

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFTeDyourFACE View Post
Go defensive masteries, Rush IE, merc treads, and then buy 4 guardian angels and pray the revive stacks since you'll be dying that often....
stop being a tryhard troll

IE isn't a good item on anyone except tyrn and critplank, really. My friends argue it's good on other DPS like trist, but if your a DPS bloodthirster/black cleaver is a way betetr BF sword upgrade.

Sammarian

06-21-2010

Consider playing Panth when you have some decent runes. Even Tier 2 runes are ok. They are way cheaper than Tier 3 and you can experiment with some different builds. It's irritating, but like other melee characters that are forced to get up close and personal to do damage, Pantheon benefits more from runes than do most heroes. In my personal opinion, health quints are essential. After that I do armor pen marks, dodge seals (or hp/level), and cool down reduction glpyhs. On SR I use x/21/x for masteries. On TT I will go ahead and do 21/x/x.

Early on you are quite strong, so you want the extra health to ensure you can be tough enough to stand up and fight. In terms of first items, red pot and/or sword is stronger initially, but I think getting some form of mana regen in the form of a meki (perhaps mana regen seals instead of dodge) is the better play 80% of the time. Panth's combo costs ~200 mana and he has a crappy mana pool. With some form of mana regen you can spam spear for harrass or farm, and always be a threat to launch your combo.

My first trip back I'm hoping for a brutalizer or a BF sword. After that I generally shoot for a BF Sword or Sword of the Occult (SoC on SR only). At this point I'm fairly flexible. If my opponents aren't stacking armor, I keep up with the AD. Otherwise I start investing in some form of armor penetration. You really need to shoot to get ahead early/mid game, because Pantheon starts to fade as the game goes on.

You can leave your boots unupgraded for awhile. Panth has fast inherent movespeed and you really want to allocate your gold toward AD. I will get a lot of flack for this, but Berzerker's are NOT the worst item in the world for Panth. More AS means more shield procs, which can often save your life. If they have a lot of true, hard crowd control, Mercs aren't going to save you anyway. But in summary, I don't think upgraded boots are as important on Panth as on other heroes early on in the match. Save the money for more AD.

I wouldn't get Infinity Edge until much later game. Panth is all about his combo, and then a spearshot/couple auto attacks for clean-up. The IE unique is nice, but the crit chance you have to buy in the interim is mostly wasted. Better to pump AD. I would skip the Bloodthirster entirely in most cases. I'm ok with some lifesteal (moreso on TT than SR), but remember every non-AD item you get is punishing your damage combo output. It's ok to have unupgraded AD items on Panth for awhile as you fill out your item slots.

Be choosy about when you enter battle, and try to do the rough math ahead of time in terms of what your combo will do early game. Finally, once you get some attack speed later on, it's often better to stay and fight to engage your shield than it is to run.

Zabedisi

06-21-2010

Pure AD (with some survivability in the form of lifesteal and/or banshee) is definitely the way you want to go. AS Pantheons make me sad and confused.

I like starting with boots, makes panth that much more annoying lane against early.

boots
longsword x2 -> brutalizer
BF Sword
boots -> boots of mobility (mercs is a safe bet I just find more success ganking and escaping when I have these babies)
BF Sword -> Bloodthirster

At this point its situational; stomping the enemy team? get SotO for the luls and/or stack bloodthirsters. So so? get banshees. Stark's is also a nice item given that you have built damage first.

CWheezy

06-21-2010

Don't listen to sammarian.

Mana regen is worthless on pantheon. You need to basically solo mid. As soon as you get your ult, after you have killed mid a couple times,

You don't need a fort pot, but it helps. I like brutalizer, sword of the occult, and then start making bloodthirsters. Hopefully the game ends before you become useless which is fairly fast.

JunkRamen

06-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctellia View Post
stop being a tryhard troll

IE isn't a good item on anyone except tyrn and critplank, really. My friends argue it's good on other DPS like trist, but if your a DPS bloodthirster/black cleaver is a way betetr BF sword upgrade.
Prove it.

Sammarian

06-21-2010

Have you ever even tried some form of mana regen? Not trying to instigate. I'm actually asking. I'm not saying fort pot or sword is bad, but some form of mana regen is generally better early game for Panth, in my opinion. I've done both extensively, and WITH mana regen you are a constant threat. You can sit around 200 mana picking away, and then launch your combo when favorable. Not long afterward, you can do it again. If you're solo mid WITHOUT mana regen, you can get yourself into matchups where you have to choose between 1) saving mana for your combo or 2) using spear to farm. Make your own decision, but to me the choice is clear.