"best" ranged champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

silent411

10-27-2011

Caitlyn is so much win. Insane range and if you build up her attack speed and crit chance, her auto attack rapes. Ult to finish em.

Nethlion

10-27-2011

I like Graves and Trist. Will have to do more research on them. Those aoe spells look pretty handy with minions.

Banjo Bill

10-27-2011

When you mean aoe spell for tristana do you mean rocket jump?if so save it for escapes or killing an enemy champion.Tristana's explosive shot is more than enough to farm minion waves.

Echokatt

10-27-2011

I think if i had to pick the best ranged one i have played so far it would be Kogmaw. Granted i am still new and have only played a few but once you get his ulti he is just mean as mean can be and his range is unreal. I would get kills on things i could not even see half the time by just shooting his ulti at the edge of where i thought they were going. Sadly Kogy is costly i have been trying to save up the points to get him myself.

Nethlion

10-27-2011

I meant explosive on tristina

TehomCD

10-27-2011

All of the ranged champs have their pros and cons. I'll try to list them roughly in order of popularity and perceived strength, but this is just my opinion.

Graves has incredible AE burst damage, is far tougher than any other ranged carry due to a passive that gives him armor and magic resistance, and a smokescreen that makes him largely unkillable by melee if used very well. He's the newest champ, and popular opinion holds that he's very overpowered at the moment, so he's likely to be nerfed soon.

Caitlyn has range and lane dominance. She's considered almost impossible to beat in lane due to her range, an escape mechanism with her net, and a very powerful CC tool with her traps. She beats a lot of champions in a solo lane that other AD carries can't. In a duo lane with a very strong support, she becomes a nightmare. Her strength late game is somewhat weaker than other AD carries, but she also farms extraordinarily easily, which is a strong consideration for newer players who can't last-hit well.

Kog'Maw has damage and range. He has an activated ability that gives him the longest range of any AD carry for a decent duration, and a long-range bombardment ability. He has no escape ability beyond a slow, so he's considered somewhat vulnerable, but is arguably the most dangerous carry if not focused. Very popular in Dominion since he can 1v1 more easily than most ranged carries and his bombardment is very strong for taking or defending turrets.

Vayne is also very strong. Highly mobile with tumble, very high single-target burst damage for a carry (which also earns her the assassin tag), she's probably the best carry at eliminating a squishy opponent before turning on the rest of the enemy team.

Ezreal is mobile, can 'poke' at enemy teams with repeated skillshots very well, and is also arguably the most difficult AD carry to play. All of his abilities are skillshots (aimed abilities that can miss). Extremely powerful in the hands of masters, and pretty fun to play. Also popular on Dominion due to his infinite-range ultimate for stopping turret captures across the map.

Tristana is arguably the strongest late-game AD carry, as her range becomes increasingly long as she levels up, and she has an attack-speed boosting ability. Also mobile with her rocket-jump ability, and an ultimate that knocks back an enemy. Her and Vayne are very strong against enemies with devastating AE abilities that require them to jump on top of your team, since they can both counter that.

Ashe has utility. Previously one of the most popular AD carries, her popularity has slightly declined with a changing shift emphasizing the highest possible damage from your carries. Ashe has lower damage than others, but far more utility - she has a very strong scouting ability with hawkshot, a slow attached to all her autoattacks (while mana lasts), and an infinite-range stun if you can aim it well. Still very, very strong in the right teams.

Less popular right now are Corki and Sivir.

Corki was previously one of the most popular AD carries, but was nerfed very hard. He lost his ability to blind opponents, so many feel he lacks overall utility and damage compared with comparable champions. He can still completely obliterate enemy teams when played well, so in no way should he be regarded as useless - he's just considered to be ever-so-slightly worse than some of the top picks currently.

Sivir is currently in a bad place. She does one thing very, very well, and that's push minions and towers while being able to run away from approaching enemies at the speed of light and protected by a spellshield against CC effects. Her damage is lower than other AD carries, and despite her spell shield, the range and CC of other AD carries make them arguably stronger against mages they might have to counter. Her ultimate is a pretty strong team buff, however, so she can fit very nicely into some teams built around that.

Hybrids that can be played as AD carries include Teemo and Twisted Fate. Teemo isn't normally considered a true AD carry because his kit is more built around utility rather than augmenting his damage. He provides very solid map control by laying down mushroom traps, and can blind opponents, and run away very quickly. He's also adorable, and considered absolutely infuriating to play against by people he can kite with impunity.

Twisted Fate is kind of weird. He an extremely long range AE spell skillshot, and a spell that makes his next attack either stun, AE slow/nuke, or return mana to him depending on a very quick choice you need to lock in. His ultimate allows him to do a fairly long range (but not map-wide) teleport. Currently he's considered to be somewhat underpowered, and most often played as a mage, but he can be played as an AD carry with a teleport if you choose.

Nethlion

10-29-2011

Thanks so much for the replies guys. A new job has been limiting my time outside to about four hours a day, so I don't get much play time. I have been checking out Heimerdinger, and was wondering how many people like him? I love his turret ability, which to me adds survivability.

Acti0nJacks0n

02-14-2012

I was searching for opinions on google and this came up as the first result. A great read and hopefully not too out of date. Thanks!

R3dRain

02-14-2012

I would say Caitlyn since she is a easy to pick up range champion but I would say maybe try out ashe while so free to play for this week. also ashe is chaper then caitlyn.

Homun7

02-14-2012

what about miss fortune. i like her but not many people says she's good :S