Dominion: Why do many SR players not like it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
On this point, I have to disagree with you. Not knowing when to engage or when to retreat is what ends up losing many games of Dominion. Someone who goes into Dominion without a clear idea of the right time to attack a point or when to just let it go in order to live to fight another day is going to be absolute dead weight.

In terms of what to build, I really, really have to disagree. Possibly because of the fast pace, possibly because playing Dominion is just more practice, but whatever the reason, I've learned a lot about adaptively building my champs to suit the time and place.
I'll echo Mattrellen's point here. Bad engages are still bad on Dominion, but the extent to which you're punished is significantly less. Dying on SR means losing out on farm, giving your opponents enough gold for another item with which to bully/bury you, and possibly giving up objectives which can't be reclaimed (dragon/baron/buffs/towers). Dying on Dominion means you respawn very shortly and don't miss out on much because you're not farming, kills are relatively less important, and you can always take back what was lost.

Mistakes are still mistakes on either map, but choices in SR feel more meaningful because their consequences are more opaque and far reaching.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrellen View Post
More important, yes.

On CS, you might have to make a choice, defend or attack. Say you decide to attack another point with 2 others.

Wrong choice: The three of you die, enemy caps 2 points before you can respawn. However, you now have the ability to fight back and retake those points.

Right choice: You gain a point and kill an enemy or two. However, once the enemy respawns, you can expect some fighting over that point, or maybe another.

On SR, you might have to make the same choice. You decide to advance with your team to try to take an inhib.

Wrong choice: Your team is aced and the enemy pushes down an inhib and 2 turrets. Those turrets won't come back and you have to live with the super minions for several minutes.

Right choice: You actually manage to ace and win the game.

In SR, those choices make a monstrous difference. Games can be won or lost on the target and timing of a single ability, but until the very very very end of a dominion game, you can always take back whatever you lose, even if you lost it due to bad choices.

I cannot argue with any part of your response. You have done a brilliant job of clarifying the situation in a way that I had not previously considered.

ActionButlerGO

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
I'll echo Mattrellen's point here. Bad engages are still bad on Dominion, but the extent to which you're punished is significantly less. Dying on SR means losing out on farm, giving your opponents enough gold for another item with which to bully/bury you, and possibly giving up objectives which can't be reclaimed (dragon/baron/buffs/towers). Dying on Dominion means you respawn very shortly and don't miss out on much because you're not farming, kills are relatively less important, and you can always take back what was lost.

Mistakes are still mistakes on either map, but choices in SR feel more meaningful because their consequences are more opaque and far reaching.
Again, given the perspective that Mattrellen has provided, I am beginning to understand the points you guys are making.

I will say that, personally, I don't feel like deaths in Dominion are quite as meaningless as a lot of people would like to make them out to be, but I must admit that it is irrefutable that they are, indeed, more meaningful on SR.

hitman577

10-25-2011

I play mostly Summoner's Rift, but I enjoy Dominion immensely.

Fiercely Fuzzy

10-25-2011

I don't NOT like Dominion, I enjoy it for the fact that if I want to get a game in really quick, I can play one, but I will never come home and WANT to play it. It just isn't fun at all doing solo Q in it.

If one person is fail, you will notice this 100 times more than you would in SR.

It will never replace SR, but it is a nice addition. It's nice to have it and play it once then never have it and ask that "what if?" question.

Squirry

10-25-2011

I don't play Dominion because I prefer the "battle of attrition" gameplay of SR. I don't see Dominion as "bad", it simply doesn't fit my taste. To me, constant action is not engaging. There's a reason you write movies, books and singleplayer RPGs with a varied tension curve: Being at the same point of a tension curve for a prolonged time will make it tedious, no matter if that's constant action or constant low-key dialogue and character background.

They wanted to create a game mode that feat like playing a round of deathmatch in an FPS (That's obviously me paraphrasing them) and I think they succeeded in that. Dominion is a short intensive action-burst. And peace to that! It's just not the sort of entertainment I personally prefer.

I really really REALLY like the ramp-up and the vast strategics of summoner's rift. Dominion has removed that, purposefully, to create another experience. And that's ****ing awesome! A single game engine and game concept that is capable of proving two drastically different play experiences. That's great!

One of them just happens to not entertain me at all. It's all about subjective taste

viledemon19

10-25-2011

i don't like dominion at all. ( my opinion so shut up is you don't like it )

its boring and feels to unbalanced like TT
it makes certain champs good and other really bad. which is pretty stupid considering everyone should at least be on an even playing field.
i hate the fact that it makes certain champs godly. this is the most annoying part to me
you don't really need to much team work to win. you be a 3v5 team and still win in dominion without much of a sweat

Backyard Mime

10-25-2011

Dominion just doesn't have very much strategy at all. It feels, to me, like less of a mental game than SR. This is not to say I don't enjoy it-- I like it plenty, and have been playing nonstop Kassadin to great effect. And it's great for when I don't really feel like investing the mental effort in a potentially hourlong SR game, or when I just want to play for fun. But it just lacks the strategic component which allows SR to be so interesting competitively.

Ragnar Draconus

10-25-2011

To me, dominion is complete garbage in both balance and gameplay. Carrys scale way to easily/way too fast and most players don't seem to understand the concept of control and defend.

Also, they made it so that comebacks are artificially enhanced by disabling kills from lowering nexus health at 100 hp. Seems pretty lame to me.

McPummi

10-25-2011

Dominion feels like a mini game to me. There seems to be nothing in it, that contributes to the 'real game' of Summoner's Rift.

There is also a distinct lack of strategy and team synergy on Dominion. Sure your team comp might matter a little, but mostly you just need champions with good mobility, who are good in 1v1 or 2v2 situations. And a pusher/defender for your bottom point. There are no 5v5 team fights, which is what I like best about SR. They really test your team comp, and your team play skills. You can overcome a bad laning phase with good team synergy, and cooperation.

Dominion also feels a bit dumbed down, because it lacks roles. There's the role of defender/pusher for bot. Then there's everyone else who just fight over Windmill, and occasionally defend your mid, or try to ninja theirs. SR has more roles, and more ways to fill them. You can complement the weakness of one champion with another, because the goal is to be fighting together at some point. On Dominion you need to be independent, because you never know who you'll be fighting with, as champions die constantly. In a way, you can fill the roles on Dominion in even more ways, but it's more like most champions work because everyone gets 'farmed' anyway.

The biggest issue I have with Dominion is that it just feels wrong. The champions of LoL were not meant for a game mode, such as Dominion. With the possible exception of some of the more recent additions, like Wukong and Skarner, who were subpar on SR but seemed fine on Dominion. I just don't want to go through learning all the champions on a new map. It took long enough to learn the balance on SR, and I'm still finding new things almost every day. Maybe that's just me being lazy, but I don't see that Dominion offers nearly as much depth, and as such is not worth the effort.

Also, my fps drops by ~20 on Dominion, regardless of my graphics settings.