Dominion: Why do many SR players not like it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ATastyDessert

10-25-2011

Dominion is pretty much Domination from COD. And it;s a pain in the ass when minions do 20% of your hp at level 10 in a few seconds.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrellen View Post
Short term view must be taken, and sometimes snap decisions are vital to the outcome of the game.
Forgive me for needing clarification, but are you saying that snap decisions are more common/more important on SR than on CS?

This seems like another instance of me seeing the exact opposite. Decisions on CS almost always feel like spur-of-the-moment judgements that force players to weigh the benefits of attack point x vs defending point y.

FailTsukkomi

10-25-2011

Nobody knows how to play Dom yet. Hurr hurr attack 4th point even though we already capped windmill. Etcetc. Just not fun at the moment right now with those kinds of players.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltadude View Post
dominion was more fun for me at start, now that you see the successful strat its boring

it's basically 1) pick an OP champ 2) cap 3 points 3) turtle whole game and only go offensive if you are 100% sure you will win fight or if its otherwise necessary to win
I understand where you are coming from with that comment, but I have to disagree with you. The turtle defense just does not work without a coordinated team (as in, a team that rotates between its points in order to allow teammates to b and upgrade their items). Just sitting on points will almost always end in a brutal death as the enemy comes back with better stuff than you.

NannerNe

10-25-2011

Dominion quickly fell into the same area as TT for me. Everything is balanced around SR, so stuff tends to be unbalanced (or downright broken) on the other two maps.

Until they find methods of balancing the roster for more than just one map, I won't be able to play anything other than SR without going "BULL****".

Kaoculus

10-25-2011

couple of things
game is balanced around sr
don't say sr isn't balanced, because there isn't anyone right now that you can't a) shut down in lane b) counterpick
artificial gold/lvl inflation makes it too hard for mediocre player to go hardcore carry status, and it's unable to stop
you can't shut them down in lane, so characters like singed or jax just trolol and get super farmed and you can't do anything. no counterplay, which is really dumb. dominion having no laning phase just completely breaks the game

FertileTrout

10-25-2011

i feel like in dominion there are engagements that are guaranteed, and your overall goal is not to best your opponent in combat, but to take more capture points to them. juxtapose this to summoners rift where you have to know when to engage, when to chase, when to retreat, where to push and what to build. in dominion all you have to do is get a static build that will pub stop 90% of the enemies that you come across then spend as much time as you cant trying to be where their not and capping points...if you happen to bump into one of them, well then you just fight, and whoever wins goes on to continue avoiding other players until he has too. as long as you count out the really really stupid times to engage every just seems to jump right in, even if you are on a capture point. this lack of fast paced decision making when to comes to ENGAGING is extremely dull. however, i feel that once the game mode has become more common place, as in it is less new and more a part of LoL more meta's and strategies will adapt to make the gameplay into something much more interesting and intense. until them imma play some SR. dominion ranked would also be pretty cool.

MakesN0Sense

10-25-2011

I've played like 20 games on Dominion. I just don't enjoy it.
It's all about running around capturing 3 points and then defending. The pvp involves no strategy but only mindless charging to whoever is trying to get your point or charging at whoever is defending a point.

Mattrellen

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
Forgive me for needing clarification, but are you saying that snap decisions are more common/more important on SR than on CS?

This seems like another instance of me seeing the exact opposite. Decisions on CS almost always feel like spur-of-the-moment judgements that force players to weigh the benefits of attack point x vs defending point y.
More important, yes.

On CS, you might have to make a choice, defend or attack. Say you decide to attack another point with 2 others.

Wrong choice: The three of you die, enemy caps 2 points before you can respawn. However, you now have the ability to fight back and retake those points.

Right choice: You gain a point and kill an enemy or two. However, once the enemy respawns, you can expect some fighting over that point, or maybe another.

On SR, you might have to make the same choice. You decide to advance with your team to try to take an inhib.

Wrong choice: Your team is aced and the enemy pushes down an inhib and 2 turrets. Those turrets won't come back and you have to live with the super minions for several minutes.

Right choice: You actually manage to ace and win the game.

In SR, those choices make a monstrous difference. Games can be won or lost on the target and timing of a single ability, but until the very very very end of a dominion game, you can always take back whatever you lose, even if you lost it due to bad choices.

ActionButlerGO

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileTrout View Post
juxtapose this to summoners rift where you have to know when to engage, when to chase, when to retreat, where to push and what to build. in dominion all you have to do is get a static build that will pub stop 90% of the enemies that you come across then spend as much time as you cant trying to be where their not and capping points...
On this point, I have to disagree with you. Not knowing when to engage or when to retreat is what ends up losing many games of Dominion. Someone who goes into Dominion without a clear idea of the right time to attack a point or when to just let it go in order to live to fight another day is going to be absolute dead weight.

In terms of what to build, I really, really have to disagree. Possibly because of the fast pace, possibly because playing Dominion is just more practice, but whatever the reason, I've learned a lot about adaptively building my champs to suit the time and place.