Urgot questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

POP0BAWA

10-09-2011

TL;DR at the bottom

I bought a couple new champs with RP lately - Jarvan and Urgot. I played Urgot once the last time he was free and I definitely like his playstyle, especially in the lane phase. However, I sometimes have trouble with team comps and determining when to secure a kill with Urgot. I also have several questions about summoner spells and runes. I don't plan on playing Urgot on Dominion, he seems pretty bad there. I don't play ranked games, just normals.

So, just to make sure I'm not doing anything intrinsically wrong..

I read this Solomid guide on Urgot

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=578

and after testing it, it seemed like a pretty logical setup to me (even if I do still suck with Urgot). I follow the rune setup with AP marks and quints, MR glyphs, and mana regen/lvl seals. However, I'm considering getting CD reduction seals but I'm not sure what the benchmarks for CDR are on Urgot for getting the most out of his E -> Q combo. I'm also considering getting flat mana regen seals over scaling mana regen.

I go with Teleport/Flash currently, but I'm considering Exhaust/Flash since Teleport seems sort of meh to me. Buuut, I could be using Teleport incorrectly.

The mastery I run with Urgot is 13/7/0 at the moment (I'm level 20). I pretty much follow the Solomid guide's mastery. Is it still a good choice, or is there better I can do with Urgot?

Regarding team comps, I sometimes play with a several friends but I usually solo queue. One friend always goes with Fiddle, and the other goes Trist/Anivia, but he's got quite a few champs and knows how to play pretty well.

TL;DR My questions are:

1) What are the CDR benchmarks for Urgot's E -> Q combo? That is, how much CDR do I need to fit in 3 shots? 4 shots?

2) Mana regen/lvl seals or flat mana regen seals? MR glyphs or CDR glyphs?

3) Teleport/Flash or Exhaust/Flash?

4) Is Urgot a good pick with Fiddle and Anivia/Trist? I also have Jax, Mundo, Morgana, Jarvan, Ashe, and Yi but I usually go with Jax and Morg (been practicing with Jarvan lately though). Given my friend's picks, which of my champs would have good synergy? I realize skill plays an important factor, I'm willing to practice with whomever would have good synergy.

5) When is the best time in a teamfight to use Urgot's R? As an initiation, just after initiation, cleaning up after a successful teamfight?

6) When going in for a kill in the laning phase, my opponent usually tends to escape. I'm not pro by any means, I'll admit. What's the best way to open up on an enemy with Urgot? W, autoattack, then go for the E -> Q while throwing in autoattacks for the slow?

7) My mastery is 13/7/0, following the linked guide's mastery. Is this a good choice, or is there better? If I pick up exhaust, I will of course grab improved exhaust.

Thanks in advance!

Macaco Velho

10-09-2011

30% CDR = 4 shots. Mana regen per level Seals. CDR glyphs. Urgot is classified as an anti-carry. Urgot's R is an initiator. Do never autoattack enemies, start with E, if it hits, turn W on and start spamming Q. Masteries are pretty much your choice.

I hope it helps!

Bahiamat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2011

Im not a progot, but I have played a lot of him to figure some basic stuff out.

For one E you can land Three Q's from the get-go. At 40% you can land up to five.
For Summoners I get Flash + whatever fits team comp. Usually Ghost but sometimes I take exhaust/ignite.
For his R, I use it as initiation. Ult the enemy carry into your team, and flash back to safety. Sometimes you dont have to initiate with it, and in that case you can just ult whoever is fleeing from a battle, OR, use it as just a form of suppression for the one taking apart your team. That couple seconds of suppression can really help in the midst of things.

Urgot in general seems to me as a Reverse-Carry. He dominates in lane phase and in a sense "carries" your team into mid-late game, where by then his effectiveness wears off. By this time yer eitther fed a couple kills or at least harassed hard enough that they consider you a very serious threat. I generally build tanky after manamune + Brut, but whatever works for you.
Personally, I use CDR blues.

Hope any of this helps at least a little.

POP0BAWA

10-09-2011

You two have helped a ton, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions

InglouriousCobb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2011

Personally I love playing Urgot and am getting quite good with him, but I am not pro by any means.

If you want to check out some more builds, I have used multiple ones from:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/urgot-guide
The first one by Searz is very effective. I play him often in both Dominion and Classic mode. He can do quite well in Dominion once you learn how to use him. I usually take Ghost which is awesome for chasing down fleeing enemies and landing the final blow. Flash is great for using after using his Ult. to quickly get back in formation with your team.

His Ult. can be used in a variety of situation, whether initiating or just using it to get the last few hits you need. It can be great to disrupt the enemies attack by pulling one of them into your tower or champions. Using it on retreating enemies after a team attack is a great way to get that enemy in range of your teammates and to possibly get a few more shots off on other retreating enemies.

When in the laning phase I usually start off with E then Q. If they run straight at me it is possible(depending on the opponent) to retreat a few steps till Q is off CD then get in another shot before they can even hit you. I usually wait to use W till they start hitting me or retreat. If they retreat I will W then keep spamming Q while getting an auto-attack in before Q is ready again, that should keep them slowed so you can hopefully finish them off.

Right now I am only level 17 and for Masteries I use either 0-9-8 or 0-0-17, getting the Defense Masteries in Resistance, Hardiness, and Strength of Spirit is working out well for me.

This video by Ciderhelm is good for information on his abilities and a couple of good ways to use his abilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZiozOpFjpA

Have fun with him!

Wibbiz

10-25-2011

Urgot is viable in dominion.

I play him often... He's a good counter to many champs that are good in dominion like Akali and Heimerdinger.

Start off with a brutalizer and a hp potion (3 gold left) and ask to take mid alone. When you get to top, the battle should be well started and you should be able to land a sneaky corrosive charge and clean up what your team couldn't. Sometimes your team will have taken a beating before you get there and you can't do anything...

Don't go 1on1 anyone because if it turns 1v2 you'll get raped unless you're at a tower... Which is what Dominion Urgot is good at. You'll spend most of the game either defending if you're winning or poking ennemies at towers with corrosive charge and acid hunter. Ult is AWESOME when doing either of these.

When your ult isn't up check out where your team needs you most.

After your first _B_ (because you want to avoid the first *death*) grab either ninja tabi or mercury's threads (depending on ennemy cc and damage type) then I usually get warmog's. Atma's if you feel like it otherwise grab some magic resist or armor with effects you feel are good for the current game. The rest should be pretty much defensive or ad... I like going for frozen mallet after atma's if the game lets me get that far.

It took me a few bad games with Urgot before understanding how good he was in dominion... He is played very differently than any other character on that map... You just have to give him a chance and you'll catch on.