Roles in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkenDragon

10-24-2011

im starting to think people have the wrong ideas of what roles there are in LoL, especially the role of tank. as there really not such a role.

im gonna list the roles that are in LoL and certain champions can play more than one role at the same time.

AD carry - this is the champion that builds and deals the most physical damage in the team. mostly responsable for doing most of the damage and to quickly dispose of key enemies

AP carry - this is the same as a AD carry except that they build mostly as a caster and using magic to deal their damage.

hybrid carry - these are the champions who relies on both physical and magical damage to dish out their damage. examples are jax and akali.

all 3 of these classes tend to be glass cannons for most of the game since they focus mostly on offensive items and very little defensive items.

Initiator - this is the champion who has abilities that are capable of entering a battle expecting to soak up all the inital damage from the enemy team and also able to survive the fight to still aid in the rest of the battle. this is your typical sense of a tank but not really the tank. i'll explain in the end

Interrupter - this is the champion who has the ability to either stun or disable champions to give your team an edge. they usually help teams by help chase enemies down and slowing or ensnaring them for the rest of the team to catch up. or just stop an enemy from casting a channeled spell.

Support - these champions' main goal is to help their teammates do better through buffing them or apply debuffs to enemies.

now these arent the only roles there are in the game but they are the key roles.

the reason why a tank isnt a role is because in typical sense a tank is the one that absorbs all the damage throughout the fight (such as in a MMO game where you have 1 person being the damage soaker) but in order for that to happen, you must be able to force your opponent's to attack that champion, and this is not possible except for 3 champions who actually possess an ability to "taunt".

instead we shouldnt think of tank being a role, but to be either an initiator, or an interrupter. these are the key aspects of a tank that we can use in this game.

now i said that a champion can have multiple roles. well that is true since the carries aspect is mostly about what type of damage they do. while the second half is all about what additional aspects they bring to the table.

for example tryndamere is an AD carry that is also an initiator, he is able to build heavy in AD damage, and due to his abilities, can soak up majority of the damage allowing his allies to come in and help out safely without worry that they'll be destroyed in the first few shots.

or Kayle is a hybrid champion that is also a support that can help her teammates with speed/heal buffs or an shield to turn them invincible, but still able to dish out a good amount of damage herself.

so just because you believe that your champion may be a "tank" doesnt mean you shouldnt build offensively, cuz if you do not own a taunt, then you need to some how make yourself a threat such that the enemy will want to attack you instead of ignore you and kill the rest of your team, because lets face it, defensive items are useless unless someone is attacking you.

Also when picking a champion for your team, remember you want a good balance of all these roles. you want a good mixture of damage types such that you force your opponent to having to either choose to be weak in one type or waste another item slot to protect themselves against both. and also make sure you always have at least 1 initiator and 1 interrupter to garentee successful team fights

Ayketh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2011

I don't think it's right to say that all offensive champions are carries, as the term carry applies to a champion that needs help initially but will scale into a force that can likely carry the entire team to a victory. Any champion can deal a "good amount of damage" when built right, but only a few can really stomp an entire team when fed a good amount.

Other than that minor nitpick, I like where you're going with this. Maybe expand on your idea by giving practical examples with specific champions (well more examples, I should say), as well as categorizing the champs into their roles in a compiling list. This could transform from an intriguing idea to a provocative article with a bit of work. Maybe add a few more categories,like Jungling, as it is a widely recognized strategy with its own specific perks like more team experience gain and often successful ganks.

DarkenDragon

10-24-2011

yea your right, I shouldnt call them carries, and make "carry" its own role, but still reconize how each champion has a damage type and people need to understand what they are.

and thats a great idea, though im lazy it'd be something that would take forever to do, but if there is a wish for it to be made, I'll make the effort. though one thing i'd like is a list of roles people believe there are. these are the 4 I came up with off the top of my head, and you reminded us about 1 more. now lets see what else we can come up with.

so recap the roles are:
Carries - a champion that builds up to deal heavy damage in the late game.

Initiator - a champion that is capable of being the first champion to enter battle to soak up majority of the damage to allow his allies to safely enter the battle field

Interrupter - a champion that excels in disrupting the enemies to allow allies to harass them easily and to stop enemies from acting

Support - a champion that excels in buffing their allies and themselves to improve other champion's ability or hinder's enemy champions from doing much damage.

Jungler - a champion who is able to solo jungle minions at the beginning of the game to allow an additional lane to have a solo champion.

LancerXXX

10-24-2011

A tank is a fat guy that can disrupt, and some can initiate. Most non-new players know this. Amumu and Maokai are pretty much the only tanks that tank with some damage. The rest rely on their skills to disrupt.

So what is your point?

DarkenDragon

10-25-2011

the point is, that the role isnt a tank, its initiator and interrupter, you dont tank you initiate and interrupt.

in a game, you dont need a person to do both, as long as you have a pair of players that can do one and the other.

the term tank came from the idea that its a unit that can draw fire and absorb hits, but in this game only 3 champions can "taunt" and draw fire. so really you cant really call someone a tank, and many people are mistaking certain champions to be tanks and what not, and I believe we should just get rid of the term all together. and go with initiator and interrupter, it makes things much easier

GoBzi

10-25-2011

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champions check tank=problem solved.
Stop comparing lol with RPG, MMORPG or even RTS games... For your info THESE kind of games (LoL,HoN,DoTa) are called Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) games... There is a huge gap between these and RPG games!

DarkenDragon

10-25-2011

but that is the problem, this isnt an RPG, there is no tank, which is why I believe we should just take that idea out and use terms that better describe the champions.

cuz everyone knows that tanks must be initiators and interruptors, but as far as riots concern, their catagorizing a tank isnt that. not all of their tanks have the ability to initiate and/or interrupt. but what we need is those specific traits when picking a team.

all this is really leading towards how to pick champions based on what you have, cuz really a full team of carries isnt gonna go well in most games, you really need a balance of all roles to do well. and people dont seem to understand this because of the misconception of terms that dont work in this game.

bylobog44

10-26-2011

There are some roles you are missing.

Feeder - an unskilled and overly aggressive player who continually dies to towers and 1v3, 1v4 situations.

Lane Pain - a player who insists on a particular lane/role with no consideration of team comp, his champion's strengths or other players choices/roles. This leads to the 2 mid or 3 top meta-game.

Rager - spams in-game chat with insults, profanity, racial slurs and negative comments.

AFK/DC - AFKs or disconnects for periods of time. Sometimes returns to game with a severely under leveled champion and assumes the role of Feeder.

Lagger - any mistake in the game is blamed on lag.

GlyphTsen

11-23-2011

Don't forget the role of Troll

In any event, people say "Tank" in LoL, HoN, etc. It's just a matter of semantics, but they still mean the same thing: Initiation and disruption, while being hard to kill so you don't melt if/when you initiate (or if you do it's because the enemy used a lot of cooldowns allowing your team to clean up).

Semantics aren't important. At least not as important as capitalization.

In any event, I think there are are a few aspects missing, but I assume it's meant to be relatively basic, covering the main roles.

That said, you're missing two important ones:

Assassin
Tanky DPS

These two vary from Carries in meaningful ways. While an Assassin will often be squishy like other damage focused champions, they are primarily focused on burst damage against a single (or at least small number of) target. I suppose in DotA they'd have the tag: "Ganker." Compared to carries, they can fall off, and lack sustained damage.

Tanky DPS may or may not be able to initiate, but they excel at dealing damage while also being able to soak a fair amount themselves, their initiation and/or disruption is also generally fewer in numbers and less effective than champions that are more dedicated to the role.

Thestuey

11-23-2011

While the op is technically correct that the role is mis-labeled to a degree, the problem is that you're trying to change a label that's already known and accepted by an established community. There just isn't much point.