Proper leashing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arlowne

10-23-2011

So I've always thought that leashing involves getting the first hit on a creep, then backing away so your jungler can get a few seconds of free hits while you run to your lane.

Today I did a game as Ryze, and when Golem spawned I cast Q and ran back to the base. Our jungler, a Fiddlestick, then proceed to curse me out asking me why I did that.

In short, is there something else I should know? He said I should let him get the first hit, but wouldn't that be negating the whole point of leashing? (That is, give them a few seconds of free dps)

In addition, I understand sometimes that the creeps to reset if you get too far away, but since the jungler is there they shouldn't reset, should they?

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2011

A normal leash is a normal attack or skill hitting the buff/ any neutral creep.
This is used so that the jungler can get a few hits onto the creep before they start taking damage.
However, there is some exception.

For example, you should NEVER, EVER leash for shaco, shaco's boxes can get easily mess up by a bad leash (the little creeps going to tank the box if you leash it wrong)

In this case, it seems like fiddlestick was draining when the aggro reset, there had been cases when drain is working, fiddle will not get aggro (rare case though). And of course...Fiddle shouldn't start draining before the golem hitting him either way (he is a bad jungler imo.)

Edit:
(Using blue buff as an example)
A professional leash, is to drop the golem's hp down below 400, and thus, allow jungler to smite the big wolf and might even finish the smaller wolves in the shortest amount of time, before blue golem spawn. (which means he needs to kill all 3 under 15 seconds).

This allow the jungler to level up fastest, but require rather lot of teamwork, as bad players will stay in xp range of the blue golem, and this method also tends to make mid lose a melee creep's exp or one of the bottom laner going to be slighty behind, but yet this is definitely the best method and the best leash for the jungler.

Arlowne

10-23-2011

Good to know about the Shaco exception.

Just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong particularly. Thanks for the help.

Che Gimpera

10-23-2011

I've had very bad leashes when I was jungling as Fiddle but the only person I can blame is me.

If I start draining a tad bit early, and the leasher runs in the WRONG direction, then aggro resets and blue golem gets back to full health. This is why it's better to have MID leash as opposed to a side lane leash.

A mid-leash from behind the wall moves the golem into the bushes creates the safest situation at blue AND doesn't reset the aggro for some reason: an enemy invasion has to CV the spot before they can smite-steal it. Also it may take them a few seconds to figure out you're in the bushes if they're not very good.

TBH though, leashing is not a big deal for Fiddle as his autoattacks do almost no damage anyways.

Ebonclaw

10-23-2011

Your Fiddle was an -idiot-.

It has nothing to do with you, whatsoever.

If he started his Drain before the golem switched focus to him, he just straight up fails, and he should be put in his place if he wants to ***** at you for doing -your- part exactly correctly.

Ebonclaw

10-23-2011

Oh and Gimperion, that's incomplete. If your team does it properly, the leasher can run off, and other people can help you attack. If everyone does it right, they will not miss out on any of their xp in lane, and they can beat the golem quickly down to a single Drain kill, rather than a 2 Drain kill. This leaves you significantly higher HP at the only point in your jungle that you are vulnerable, and saves some time, getting you closer to an unexpectedly early level 4 gank.

Che Gimpera

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
Oh and Gimperion, that's incomplete. If your team does it properly, the leasher can run off, and other people can help you attack. If everyone does it right, they will not miss out on any of their xp in lane, and they can beat the golem quickly down to a single Drain kill, rather than a 2 Drain kill. This leaves you significantly higher HP at the only point in your jungle that you are vulnerable, and saves some time, getting you closer to an unexpectedly early level 4 gank.
I've actually never finished blue (with Fiddle) less than 100% HP if it didn't reset. In a 5's team game, I'll most likely try this (but I probably don't jungle Fiddle as I'm not that good with him) but in a solo game, I'd just prefer a tap and gtfo because I don't trust them not to leach exp.

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2011

4/5 times that I've had randoms leash the two golems for me, they leach xp, and I'm stuck at level 1 for the next fight. In fact, one time a guy came and fought the golems after I had aggro. Yes, I got half xp, and I took full damage. It's been a nightmare honestly. If this guy hadn't posted about leashing, I was going to do so.

Please tell me this: can't a teammate simply smack and run? Do they need to hang around and hog my xp? It's really a problem, as I end up a little UP for the next big pack (e.g., no SSlash).

Warrrrax

10-24-2011

Yep, don't feel about. Fiddle was a stupid fool. You are right that the whole point of leashing is to get in a few hits and RUN.

Idiots stay around to "help" which means I either wind up NOT smiting and getting beatdown until they leave, or I lose a huge chunk of XP. Dont be that guy. Use your Q, autoattack once or twice and take off.

When taking off, its better to NOT go towards the bushes, and go top/bot instead. That way they dont lose sight of the golem and have odd pathing issues, causing the stupid golem to heal on the way back.