Mage quints; flat hp or hp per lvl?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asuramundos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seelyon View Post
There are better options available, see here: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-leg...ne-pages-guide
Thanks for the link, Seelyon! Lots of info there lol much more than I thought in fact XD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuramundos View Post
Thanks for the link, Seelyon! Lots of info there lol much more than I thought in fact XD
No problem, the two videos should also help you out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FABIOForever

Senior Member

10-24-2011

There is really NEVER a time where you would want per level runes over flat runes. A lot of math crafters get tunnel vision and just assume per levels are better because NUMBERS.

The teeny tiny extra benefit per level runes will give you over flat later on is nothing compared to the benefit the early boost of flats will give you.

Imagine you just opened up your own small business with the goal of becoming a millionaire. Which would you rather have: $50,000 extra starting capital, or $70,000 after you've already become a millionaire? That's exactly what flat vs per level runes is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImZyzzBro

Junior Member

10-24-2011

like others have posted in this thread the flat HP runes will benefit a lot more. I personally also play Veigar and you wanna have that extra hp especially if you are getting harassed, since early game you don't want to waste your baeful strike too much on the opponent since you want to last hit minions with it. 1 AP > 80 damage to the champion, i mean it's not like you are gonna kill him at the start anyways so wasting a baeful strike on the enemy is useless.

Basically you get more HP so you can stay in lane longer, farm your AP, and once you get baeful to at least 3 you can start harassing the enemy.

I personally like harassing the enemy with baeful, and once he gets to low HP (I'll also be on low hp+mana prolly), I recall + TP back and own him with stun+dark matter+ulti+baeful.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

arphan

Senior Member

10-24-2011

Don't take HP runes, you should take 4,95 ability power quint, and dominate your lane.
I got good result with Morgana, I never loose a lane when I play her.

-Arphan-


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asuramundos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
There is really NEVER a time where you would want per level runes over flat runes. A lot of math crafters get tunnel vision and just assume per levels are better because NUMBERS.

The teeny tiny extra benefit per level runes will give you over flat later on is nothing compared to the benefit the early boost of flats will give you.

Imagine you just opened up your own small business with the goal of becoming a millionaire. Which would you rather have: $50,000 extra starting capital, or $70,000 after you've already become a millionaire? That's exactly what flat vs per level runes is.
Thank you, FABIOForever! This is pretty much how I originally thought on the whole 'flat vs. scaling' conflict.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asuramundos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImZyzzBro View Post
like others have posted in this thread the flat HP runes will benefit a lot more. I personally also play Veigar and you wanna have that extra hp especially if you are getting harassed, since early game you don't want to waste your baeful strike too much on the opponent since you want to last hit minions with it. 1 AP > 80 damage to the champion, i mean it's not like you are gonna kill him at the start anyways so wasting a baeful strike on the enemy is useless.

Basically you get more HP so you can stay in lane longer, farm your AP, and once you get baeful to at least 3 you can start harassing the enemy.

I personally like harassing the enemy with baeful, and once he gets to low HP (I'll also be on low hp+mana prolly), I recall + TP back and own him with stun+dark matter+ulti+baeful.
Thank you, ImZyzzBro! Very well explained post, and basically what I was going for in my initial strategy! ^_^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Something Snazzy

Senior Member

10-25-2011

The thing is, HP per level give twice the HP. But think of it this way, your late game HP will be 5x your starting HP. So twice really is not much at all. It takes until... what, level 9 for HP per level to surpass flat HP? By level 9, 74 HP is maybe a 10% increase. But 74 at level 1 is a 20% increase. By the time HP per level surpass flat HP, they are hardly noticeable.

Other points that are important. Veig needs to get his AP farmed up early game. Flat HP is often the difference between a kill or a death. That means 300 gold plus ~10 or so more CS.

Runes and masteries are supposed to cover your weaknesses. Veig's weakness is his early game. A strong early game is the difference between carrying and feeding.

Oh and yeah, with Rylai's and RoA, there is pretty much zero reason for an AP carry to not get any HP items. Which means HP per level will seem even more useless late game.

TL;DR Flat HP every single time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elodin

Senior Member

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalshazzak View Post
The only Runes worth taking Per Lvl over Flats are mp5/lvl mana regen and (only if jungling) mr/lvl blues. (although a number of people seem to like ap/lvl on some mage champs)

~15% more health at the beginning of the game is better than ~8% more later on when focus will just obliterate you anyway.

So....go Flats, and if you find yourself needing health later in the game, just build a health item.
While I do think flat HP is better than HP per level, I disagree with Kalshazzak saying that MR per level is only good on junglers, they are great basic glyphs for Solo top too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Something Snazzy

Senior Member

10-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elodin View Post
While I do think flat HP is better than HP per level, I disagree with Kalshazzak saying that MR per level is only good on junglers, they are great basic glyphs for Solo top too.
I love mr per level glyphs on almost all of my champs... but I also tend to run flat mr quints on most of my champs. +24 mr at level 18 and 14 at level 1... throw on merc treads and any champ is tanky.


12