Mage quints; flat hp or hp per lvl?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asuramundos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2011

Specifically for Veigar. I was messing with a LoL builder app on my phone, and the crossover value for flat hp and hp per lvl quints is roughly between lvl 9 and 10.

I was just wondering, which would be better for Veigar? Or is it just based on play style and preference?

Please don't bash me with "X is a better for quints not health" or noob labels, I'm quite aware I'm a noob still and thats why I'm asking

Any and all helpful responses appreciated!

AbominableToast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2011

Well do you need the tankiness early or late? thats for you to decide

breadbocks

10-23-2011

Take per level. Veigar is an end-game winner. You won't be focused until you can nuke half their team with E+W. He also has absolutely **** hp scaling. Only take flats if your going to be up against someone who can harass easily, like Urgot or Ezreal.

Asuramundos

10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
Take per level. Veigar is an end-game winner. You won't be focused until you can nuke half their team with E+W. He also has absolutely **** hp scaling. Only take flats if your going to be up against someone who can harass easily, like Urgot or Ezreal.
Good point breadbocks, I notice people really start targeting me once I have my ult and use it to harass pre- and during mid game.

Kalshazzak

10-23-2011

The only Runes worth taking Per Lvl over Flats are mp5/lvl mana regen and (only if jungling) mr/lvl blues. (although a number of people seem to like ap/lvl on some mage champs)

~15% more health at the beginning of the game is better than ~8% more later on when focus will just obliterate you anyway.

So....go Flats, and if you find yourself needing health later in the game, just build a health item.

Asuramundos

10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableToast View Post
Well do you need the tankiness early or late? thats for you to decide
I had the notion that people would suggest flats more often so that you can actually live through early farm and possible harassment against you, without having to b too frequently. And like breadbocks suggested, I become quite a popular target at mid to late game due to my ult and general squishy-ness.

So I suppose with the hp per lvl quints I'd get more health in the long run to help just that much more in survival late game, and just play my usual defensive farm during early.

Is that viable?

Asuramundos

10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalshazzak View Post
The only Runes worth taking Per Lvl over Flats are mp5/lvl mana regen and (only if jungling) mr/lvl blues. (although a number of people seem to like ap/lvl on some mage champs)

~15% more health at the beginning of the game is better than ~8% more later on when focus will just obliterate you anyway.

So....go Flats, and if you find yourself needing health later in the game, just build a health item.
Thank you, Kalshazzak. You do bring up a good point. I mentioned earlier (somewhere in this thread lol) that the early health boost with flats would benefit my survival and possible harass during early game farming. Also, health does come rather easily in game when you itemize for it so if need be I could just adjust as so.

ViashinoWizard

10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuramundos View Post
I had the notion that people would suggest flats more often so that you can actually live through early farm and possible harassment against you, without having to b too frequently. And like breadbocks suggested, I become quite a popular target at mid to late game due to my ult and general squishy-ness.

So I suppose with the hp per lvl quints I'd get more health in the long run to help just that much more in survival late game, and just play my usual defensive farm during early.

Is that viable?
This sounds like the better plan. Even with scaling quints, Veigar will be very squishy late game. He wins his fights by killing his opponents before Event Horizon's stun wears off, so a few extra HP won't help much. Conversely, having a lot of HP up front will help your abysmal early game and let you take that much more harass before having to go b.

Asuramundos

10-24-2011

Thank you for your input, ViashinoWizard good point indeed!

Seelyon

10-24-2011

There are better options available, see here: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-leg...ne-pages-guide