Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Garen any good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Santos L Helper

06-20-2010

Quote:
Panuar25:
I've tried him out for a few games, and practice games and like his play style and feel like I could do well with him myself, but the group of friends I play with tend to think he is worthless as far as the team game goes due to not being a tank and not having any stuns or slows.

Is there any advice on this character, should I look for someone else or is there any good arguements I can use in his favor so I'm not getting lol'd for using him?

I don't play him, but I can't say that I've ever faced a Garen that gave me any trouble. Whether that's just me playing tons of bads or the champ not being that good idk, but I would lean towards the latter.

Panuar25

06-21-2010

Well I've been playing around with him and a few others lately and I think, possibly just cause the people I play with and who they play, he just doesn't really fit well, I tend to feel like I'm the useless one. Ended up switching to Yi and feel a lot more productive even when I'm not topping kills. I'll probably keep messing with Garen in random games when I'm not playing with my friends to test him out some more but he definitely seems lacking.

As for not seeing any good Garens I have seen 1 so far who absolutely carried a team I was against but it's always hard to tell if someone else is just really good or the people they are killing are really bad since he didn't run into me much till he was like 4 levels ahead and fully itemed out after feeding off my team. And other than that one most Garens I see were annoying at best.

Eloking

07-06-2010

I've played nearly 100 game with Garen so far (my main character) and I can say he's one of the best early game ganker. Sadly, Any veteran LoL player will know how to survive his wrath.

But, even if Garen is really good in Mid-game, he end up missing something in end-game. And unless I had a lot of early game kill, I'm more a support than anything.

I find he's kinda the opposide of Yi, who suck early and shine in end-game.

Omnipherious

07-07-2010

Garen is one of my favourite champs to play. I hardly ever build him as a tank (only if say I solo queue and my team insists we need one) but usually I build up dmg and atk spd fast.

Even at level 1 no matter what your items may be and what runes/masteries your opponent has, Judgement brings champs down to half hp or less with ease.

Courage not only helps build your toughness with each minion kill but also gives you that few moments of reduced damage and can be a lifesaver. I can't tell you how many times I've been left with around 300 - 400hp seeing Karthus channel his ult and have courage save my ass just with that dmg reduction.

His silence helps you to move slightly faster for a short period enabling you to chase/get away (only to a limited extent but even that short burst is useful).

As many have said, his ult is fantastic. You deal good damage with added bonuses for missing points of health. See slightly worn down 4k hp tank at about 30-40% health and just execute them instantly.

If played well and with good synergy and support from your team Garen is awesome.

Even so, I do agree that in higher elo games players are more likely to effectively counter Garen. Constant harassing prevents his passive regen and stuns stop him in his tracks while in judgement.

Mamanmatt12

08-27-2012

i tank with attack speed as garen

Kreyni

08-28-2012

He is a tanky DPS that excels at dealing tons of damage to single and multiple targets. His ability to tank and deal tons of damage makes him a great addition to your team.

If you start with Q, it deals A LOT of damage at level 1. That's basically 1/2 of their HP with Q+Ignite.
In a bush, W+Q+E+R+Ignite is basically a Garen-teed kill.

Basically, Garen can be strong with just a Brutalizer early to mid game, then after you have your main tanky items down, you can build damage. He is almost a hard counter to the new champion because you can make the opponent Rengar scared of the brush, which is a core mechanic of his.

TheDjinni

08-28-2012

Pointless necro is pointless, don't bother posting.

FEFE ALAZZEH

09-14-2012

hh

HinataHakamada

10-27-2012

try him in tutorials

Judas Priest

10-27-2012

During the time I've been playing I learnt that in Summoner's Rift all champions can be VIABLE if you know their roles and how to play them, but not all champions are equally GOOD and useful to the team in general. It means that I think champions are not balanced (as Riot claims, don't be foolish) and there are better champions than others. Garen is one of those that is not so good. Is he viable? Ok, he is, if you know what your doing and if you are satisfied with just a "not so goodl" spin and other "not so good" stuff. But besides being VIABLE, is Garen really GOOD and can he change the tides of the battle? No, definetely there are champions that are overall better and more useful than he is. His damage is low, his CC is average and his tankyness is by far not the best in the game. He is not a great initiator either. Overall, there are several better options to fulfill his role.

When you play solo queue, it's better to find those champions that are really "good", try not to play those that are only "viable". Later, when you find a team, you can think about team composition and champion sinergy. Some "not so good" champions can turn into beasts when side by side with other specific champions. But in solo queue you can't really count on that, mainly in low levels.

Oh, and don't forget that the statement "all champions can be viable" only works for Summoner's Rift. For other maps not all champions are even viable. There are some champions that are very bad picks in specific maps no matter what, like Master Yi in Dominion. That's why I think the most important seconds of the match is the champion selection. Poor champion picks, forming a poor team composition in the wrong map will be a certain loss. Don't let people tell you that everything in this game is perfect and that when a champion sucks the blame is on you, because it's not. OP champions forming a good team composition will make a huge difference, despite players' skills.

TL;DR: Some champions are not meant to be played, if you play to win.