Garen any good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panuar25

06-18-2010

I've tried him out for a few games, and practice games and like his play style and feel like I could do well with him myself, but the group of friends I play with tend to think he is worthless as far as the team game goes due to not being a tank and not having any stuns or slows.

Is there any advice on this character, should I look for someone else or is there any good arguements I can use in his favor so I'm not getting lol'd for using him?

R66Y

06-18-2010

Unless you are playing top level games or tournaments....any character can be good. I've seen Garens tear people up before. Can't give you specific builds as I've not played him myself, but I will say while he has some tankiness, if you (or your friends) are playing him as a straight tank you're doing it wrong.

Also, his silence is on a fairly low cooldown and is annoying to any casters. Nothing funnier than watching Annie run in, get smacked/silenced, and turn around and run right back out of the fight.

Panuar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2010

I don't play him as a tank, but at the same time I'm not really sure how I should play him, he seems more like a damage dealer that needs to run with someone who can stun or other than that he feels like just a harassing player for the most part.

I could be seeing his worth completely wrong as I am pretty new to this genre of game in general.

SethCypher

06-18-2010

I think his role as a tank comes more from Courage and his Innate ability. Courage able to reduce damage significantly and his Innate allowing him to stay in the game without having to go back to base and regen HP. His ult will allow him to turn the tides on mages and Judgement does its fair share of damage. As far as I can tell, Garen is actually a jack of all trades which you can branch out into alot of different builds.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-18-2010

Nowadays Garen is usually built as a tank. In terms of champion strength I really wouldnt pay attention to those things, the most important thing is how you as a player control them. That being said hes pretty middle of the pack so its not like you would be playing someone really weak.

As for him as a character you want to be a frustrating guy in teamfights. Spinning into squishy enemies, silencing their important casters and making them try to get away from you is his main role. This takes some of their big damage dealers out of a fight and lets the rest of your team beat up on the remainder of theirs. That is tank Garens general playstyle.

As far as not having stuns/slows, he does have his silenc, and with his spin he cannot be stunned or slowed. That in itself is a good quaility. As I said hes not the best champion of all time, but hes very effective at causing chaos in the other team and staying very durable himself.

PunchGroin

06-18-2010

As someone who often plays casters, I can tell you, that silence is deadly. And much like juggernaut in DOTA, if you rush boots of swiftness, the whirlwind can net you some easy early game kills. (Hes another hero I think is stronger in 3v3 than in 5v5)

Helfeather

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-19-2010

I think Garen's pretty awesome. Most people don't see this, but Garen's is very versatile. His silence is also a chasing mechanic. His defensive skill is also an anti-nuke shield. His spin completely negates slows. And his ultimate is definitely an awesome move to have at your disposal for finishing someone off when trading blows.

However, good Garen players are hard to come by. You can build him as a tank, but why bother when there are plenty of better tanks out there to fit the role? I think his greatest potential as a teammate is his ability to silence and chase. Grab a Youmuu's for the active and use it while spinning. Grab a red buff potion and your spin is again upgraded. Use your silence in a fight to disable that annoying caster. Use it again after the fight to chase down stragglers. Buy a frozen mallet and who can escape your grasp? Not to mention, he has no mana!

Pie Slice

06-19-2010

I think he's a cheap copy of tryndamere (mainly because of his spinning attack) but well, I can tell you that Garen is, at least, better than tryndamere, so if you had to choose between the 2 spinning slashers you'd better choose Garen

Kymera3

06-19-2010

I mostly build Garen AD since my buddy always tanks and hes good at it.

Anyways he is very strong early game, the spinning ability does massive amount of damage and the silence is just great to take down casters like Ryze, silence + spinning and hes almost dead, he will snare you and your partner takes him out.

When i have a good game and it's going far, meaning the other didn't surrender, i will get guardian angel so i can initiate a fight without being scared of being killed in a second. GA + Garen's shield just makes you a bit more resistant to big magic spells let's say like Karthus ult.

His ult is ridiculous, any squishy caster with a bit less than half hp can be killed with this. It can save you from some1 tower diving you, just pop your shield turn around ult him and you win

I like the fact that hes strong not only early game but also all game, he can be played AD or what seems to be popular, tank. He is very good at both. He's good in SR and in TT witch is great and he's very easy to play, he's far from worthless like your friends say.

I'd say try him out in a free week to see if you like him, but he's great

ElHaggis

06-20-2010

Feel free to add me on PvP.net sometime, and I'd be happy to discuss Garen with you.