Do you think Tiamat is underrated after reading this and the comments?

Yes I think it's underrated 54 56.25%
No I don't think it's underrated 42 43.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Viability of Tiamat One of the Most Underrated Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ConfusedKillers

10-22-2011

The other day I heard something in a game that annoyed me, playing my GP a player on my team said 'Why are you building Tiamat? It's a terrible item.' The moment he said that a bit of me died from hearing such stupidity. Tiamat is an epic item, that has an AMAZING passive, as well as good AD and some HP/Mana regen. The exact stats are:
Tier Advanced
Effects +50 attack damage
+15 health regeneration
+5 mana regeneration
Passive Your basic attacks splash, dealing 50% physical damage around the target (35% for ranged attacks). (Taken from Leaguecraft)
How much does this item cost? 2070 gold, for items and combining fee. Now here's the thing, alone it looks...meh. I'll admit, BUT, but, but, but The passive stacks, it isn't unique. So for example, when I play as Gp my full build ends up being:
AS boots, PD, IE, Tiamat, Tiamat, Tiamat.
Now you're going: Huh? That doesn't seem like a lot of dmg. But Here's the thing. Level 18 Gangplank has 108 AD without items. with my build he has 338 dmg, 250% crit dmg, 55% chance to crit, and a bonus .521 AS. (looking only at dmg) Provided you play carefully and don't get bursted the HP regen and Mana Regen will keep you alive. Now if Gp were to crit he would deal 845dmg PLUS 150% dmg to enemies around him meaing he would deal 1267.5 dmg in AOE. Now...Lets look at Parley. 350 dmg if u crit that's 875 plus 918.75 AOE dmg (reduced AOE dmg for ranged attacks)

At this point I'm looking at GP and saying: Hmmm, now what's funny about this? Let's say I gank Renekton, and Sona at bot. I see Sona is standing close to Renek and is low. BAM I fire Parley at renek, it just dealt more AOE dmg to Sona then it did to him. It's hilarious because in teamfights You can focus the tank and end up dealing even more dmg to his team. It makes them think. "Should I really Taunt him?" Anyways I gotta go right about now, feel free to argue against me (I like getting to argue about it so long as we keep it fun) And I'll come back later to review it and see what I've missed.

Incase of TL;DR Long story short tiamats passive is an awesome aspect of dmg especially when you think about it's other stats.

P.S. It works for champions other than GP as well, he's just a funny example to me.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2011

Actually, since Parrrley is ranged Tiamat should do 105%, not 150% in the AoE.

Stacking Tiamat's great for those zerg metas, get your ass busted for standing next to the target.

ConfusedKillers

10-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Actually, since Parrrley is ranged Tiamat should do 105%, not 150% in the AoE.

Stacking Tiamat's great for those zerg metas, get your ass busted for standing next to the target.
I did do 105% AOE dmg, I just didn't say so, if u do the math it is worked out to 105%. Srry for not including that.

LancerXXX

10-22-2011

To get to that point requires a LOT of gold, and you are still pure glass cannon. While I do not doubt its effectiveness if you throw a Quicksilver Sash, Cleanse etc. (Yes I know you can eat oranges as well) in there, to try to realistically farm all that in a single game is... not realistic.

However, if you could jump straight to the endgame (Dominion?) it is VERY powerful.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedKillers View Post
I did do 105% AOE dmg, I just didn't say so, if u do the math it is worked out to 105%. Srry for not including that.
Actually, what I saw was you said 150%. That's what I was correcting.

It's not a bad setup if you can get to it. That's the problem, Tiamat's both too expensive and not really built in a useful set of items.

I've personally thought that if it built it from Philo Stone, maybe made it 2 Long Swords instead of Pickaxe+Long Sword, and adjusted cost and stats accordingly, it would be a little more often used and viable.

Claricorp

10-22-2011

Actually parley is considered a melee attack for the case of tiamat.

Also I love my tiamat MF.

KazukiSato

10-22-2011

tiamat is good but only if you stack them, the downside to it is, if you were to stack it you wont have the slots to build survival which is crucial.
example being your build: the PD gives you crit chance , 3 tiamats (obviously what you need for ur build/argument), boots (or youll be a slowpoke), IE for the 250% crit and damage

damge check
atk speed check
crit chance check
aoe splash damage from 3 tiamats check
total health on champion ...nope
armor? nada
magic resist? none what so ever

conclusion: high damage, squishy as hell <- sorry but that doesnt sound ideal to me

JustMyBassCannon

10-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazukiSato View Post
tiamat is good but only if you stack them, the downside to it is, if you were to stack it you wont have the slots to build survival which is crucial.
example being your build: the PD gives you crit chance , 3 tiamats (obviously what you need for ur build/argument), boots (or youll be a slowpoke), IE for the 250% crit and damage

damge check
atk speed check
crit chance check
aoe splash damage from 3 tiamats check
total health on champion ...nope
armor? nada
magic resist? none what so ever

conclusion: high damage, squishy as hell <- sorry but that doesnt sound ideal to me
Glass Cannon is usually not optimal, and when you need to be glass cannon for an item to be viable, it's not really worth it.

I could argue that you would build runes for defense, but that's +13 Armor and MR if you got flat seals and glyphs, not a whole lot.

Nea De Penserhir

10-22-2011

MEANWHILE AT THE LEGION OF DOOM

The team stays five feet away from each other and suddenly you wish you went Tankplank instead.

Raisu

10-22-2011

Considering the game goes on long enough, my build for Trynd ends up being PD / PD / Ghostblade / IE / Tiamat / Tiamat... Nothing better than critting 1200 damage on one target, and having it splash to a second target and killing both of em just by attacking one person.