Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Bull-dozing with Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

11-16-2009

I play Alistar in a entirely different way build wise:

#1 Mana Manip --> to Soul Shroud (alternatively, and pretty good as well, better later, but not as good early game is straight rush for Nashor's Tooth)
#2 Boots --> (Magic resist boots)
#3 Frozen Heart
#4-6 game should be over, close to over - so last 3 slots depend on enemy - I like to get guardian angel, and locket for extra mana/regen etc.
(something I would like to experiment with is a bunch of philo stones to farm gold with first then AP alistar up, but doubt this will work well)

skill build:
#1 Pulverise if you are in lane with another good stun, if not, headbutt for lane/creep control
#2 depends on lane, but normally 1 point in roar
#3 headbutt (or pulverise if you went headbutt first)
#4 headbutt
#5 headbutt
#6 Ult
#7 headbutt
#8 pulv
#9 headbutt
#10 pulv
etc.

Why just 1 point in heal? well, at lvl 1, it only cost 20 mana, and you can spam it on recharge with a mana manip build sporting clarity. The 1-2 combo can be used effectively and often as well, inbetween trips to the shop.

Summoner skills - always clarity and flash - Utility Mastery, specced into both clarity and flash, and defense for the rest for more regen, and armor.

This build is so much fun, you can spam skills, stay in your lane, and get some surprising kills with a quick clarity pop on an unsuspecting enemy. I've logged about 25 or so games now with alistar, and tried your build 3 times now. My build seems far more effective for me. (I will note that this is primarily for 5v5 team games, and has less potential to kill and be effective for smaller games, or as a ganking character, which Alistar does not seem to be.)

My favorite laning partner is Blitzcrank with a mana manip for dual aura, or oddly a heimerdinger or soraka, just cause its fun to abuse their skills with my own.

GingerGiant

Recruiter

11-23-2009

I really enjoy this guide. What's the point of being a tank if you aren't enough of a threat to be worth attacking?

Ruuha

11-26-2009

Thank you Dr. Awesome for this great guide.

Al is really the king of the "I hate towers" playstyle. Just a quick question on money making:

I am having trouble getting last hits early on and my money out put is not there yet as I am lvl 17 and do not have the full book or talent tree to play with yet. I was wondering in my instance would any one have any suggestions for getting more of them golden doubloons?

Again thanks for the awesome guide and I wish every one many happy hours ramming your heads into things for fun and profit!

WΎÅRР؃ LØLŽ

11-29-2009

I used this build and led the game in kills and we won. Never been in a game where Alistar led the whole game in kills til I did it, so this build is OK to me.

Best game offensively that I have ever played as Alistar and I was still pretty tough to bring down as well.

I looked this up, went in a game queued with my GF and this was the result.

DevourxD

11-30-2009

i've been playin alister and Tryndamere, Tryndamere is a slaughter but seriously, playin alister and working a beside taric, you cannot die if u have mana. you can lock up players so badly that they start to cry. i've been focusing abit on roar getting first pulverize(lvl1), roar (2),headbutt(3),roar(4-5). starting out with meki pendant -> charlice harmony, i do whant the mobility so i go for berzerker greaves. after that im not really sure. i see alister as a good supporter class, he is very needed. Good guide but it a little blurry to me, if someone wanna discuss Alister 1-1 and give me some tips, pm me please =)

nicosharp

11-30-2009

you can't play Alistar this way now, unless your team has another support, like a Taric or Soraka.

Alistar is better played currently as full support. Working first on Cooldown redcution and mana regen with either mana manip straight to Soul Shroud, then frozen heart or nashor's; or Chalice to Frozen Heart, to Aegis. Mercury Treads with him are great and another way to stay in battle to keep spamming stuns and headbutts. It is very important if you play Alistar Support to get your cooldowns maxed to 40% reduced, and be the stun spamming hatetank the enemy will fear. I suggest going ghostwalk, and flash and utlity spec, to maximize your positioning throughout the game for ganks team pushes and to ultimately save teammates.

I love this guide, but it's very rare in a team game that you can build Alistar this way when your team needs you to support/carry. That being said, Sheen is awesome if extra gold comes your way.

Malasa

11-30-2009

I actually just finished playing a game with Alistar as a more offensive hero than defensive. The items I got were mostly defensive items, but I chose two items to help me offensively, Phantom Dancer and Frozen Mallet. I think that with pulvarize and headbutt, paired with the movement speed and slowing effect from these two items, I was very good at ganking.

1: Philosopher's Stone - Meki Pendant being first item purchased for mana regeneration for healing early game. Also for the 5 gold regen because of how weak of a farmer Alistar is.

2: Boots of Tabi - For the dodge and armor.

3: Heart of Gold - for HP, Armor, and again the gold regen.

4: Phantom Dancer: Got this for the crit chance, attack speed, movement speed (to help chase enemies), and dodge. The team I was facing had a Jax, Twisted Fate, and a Tryndemere and with the dodge from the boots and this item I was able to withstand them all easily by just stunning them, healing myself, and using ultimate.

5: Frozen Mallet - For the HP, attack damage, and the slowing effect.

6: Sunfire Cape - The HP and Armor made me even more hard to kill.

I finished the game second in kills (10 total) with only 4 deaths.

Degini

11-30-2009

Any updated thoughts on runes for him?

I8C SRS FACE

12-01-2009

I gave this a shot and had success. I really didn't care for Alistar all that much (Mundo and Cho'Gath and Amumu are my tanks of choice, depending on my teammates) but I didn't really understand the pushing power of Alistar. Sheen + Roar spam = dead tower. You can chunk the crap out of them, and then if unbreakable will is up, you can get away from MULTIPLE enemies EVEN WITH the tower hitting you.

I prefer a slightly different item build. Rather than get Atma's when he suggests, I get Zeal first. If I need the survivability, I'll delay finishing off the Trinity Force until I finish the Impaler, but the Move Speed alone is worth getting Zeal first. The attack speed is a nice bonus for when you're ravaging enemy towers.

Great guide.

Tactorin

12-02-2009

I mostly play Alistar with a group of friends (3 to 5 premade), and I have been doing a very...weird build with him, and it is quite effective (though I am going to change it because it's not that great...but still fun).

I do meki pendant --> philo stone, then mercury treads (unless there are not many slows/stuns/mages, then ninja tabi/berserker). Then I go for stinger, then sheen. At this point, I decide based on how things have been going if I upgrade to Nashor or Trinity Force (only if I can forsee that I'll be able to afford it before game is over) or just get an Atmas. Of course, if I'm getting stomped on badly, I at this point get a banshee's veil or warmogs...but that's fairly rare.

So I usually end up with Philo Stone, Merc Tread, Stinger/Nashors, Sheen, and Atmas. If the game lasts long enough (1/4th of the games), I have a Trinity. How I play is aggressively like this guide says, but only during the first 6 to 8 levels. At this point, if everyone stays laning...which is odd, I'll bash on towers or help team up on the people in my lane when someone comes. Otherwise, when the five man gank squads start gathering around 8-10 (sometimes 6ish), I'm very key in team fights. Timing when to initiate, then running in and spamming Q and E and knocking back any heavy damage dealer that my team cannot focus due to range. I use the ultimate if they immediately start trying to kill me, or I save it until I'm stunned or at half health. I die about half the time, but my death goes to slay 3+ of them without anyone else on our team dying.

Often another useful initiation is to charge into them and toss on the ultimate when they stun, cleanse when they do it again (flash works wonders here as well of course, but if it's on cooldown...), and W the squishiest damage dealer into my whole team for them to focus down instantly while I Q the rest around me.

I doubt my craziness will work for amazingly good players (and it fails if against mass tank groups while we have no heavy dds), but it is my start to Alistar, and it's quite fun for mid tier gaming. I do like the previous mentioned build of mass cooldown, because supporting in team fights is Alistar's key use...I just adore my power to kill towers when no one's looking...or even if 2 to 3 of them are.