Cocoa Powder in chili?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadLock

11-10-2013

Has anyone tried it? I've been looking at recipes online, and a surprising amount of recipes used cocoa powder. Thoughts?

Poeta Somnium

11-10-2013

It's pretty bomb, I must say. Chocolate (especially dark cocoa) actually pairs really well with heat.

Most supermarkets carry a chocolate bar in the candy aisle that is infused with chili pepper that I recommend you try (Lindt will probably be the common brand.) That should give you a rough gauge of the flavor dichotomy. Plus it's just freaking delicious!

Ideally in the chili, the cocoa power shouldn't be a really dominant flavor. It's more of a complimentary note.

MadLock

11-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeta Somnium View Post
It's pretty bomb, I must say. Chocolate (especially dark cocoa) actually pairs really well with heat.

Most supermarkets carry a chocolate bar in the candy aisle that is infused with chili pepper that I recommend you try (Lindt will probably be the common brand.) That should give you a rough gauge of the flavor dichotomy. Plus it's just freaking delicious!

Ideally in the chili, the cocoa power shouldn't be a really dominant flavor. It's more of a complimentary note.
Lindt chocolate is orgasmic. I plan on putting in a small amount of Crown Royal whiskey as well. Though I am surprised that so many recipes require 4 whole cloves of garlic for 2lbs of chili.

donthitonmegirls

11-10-2013

I've had chilli powder in cocoa before, but not the other way around.
What I learned from the experience is that chocolate goes with anything.

BattleCrewser

11-11-2013

You probably shouldnt put that much garlic unless you want everyone to stay at least 50 feet away from you at all times. But also I've never tried it but now I am curious.