Are some supports in Dominion viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

DPS Taric is a beast. He's pretty tanky by default with his Shatter aura, so you build him to stack up as much armor reduction as possible.

Build Stark's Fervor and Black Cleaver, and with 3 stacks Cleaver + Shatter, you'll reduce your primary target's armor by 95, which is pretty hilarious.

With the attack speed, you'll be able to spam heals on yourself constantly to keep yourself up along with the lifesteal, and any AD on your team will want to have your babies with how easy you're making it for them to kill people with your stuns and mass armor reduction.

A big plus is that most melee AD champs can't beat you in a straight up fight because you just have so much armor and sustain through DPS.

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

Of course they are, that's the beauty of it. You don't have to give all your farm to the carry...you get gold too! You can now build like a carry and do damage with the rest of them.

maxusmaximus

10-20-2011

+1 for the lichbane/rabadons build. I usually go prospectors ring boots then sheen, sorc boots, needleslly large rod, finish lichbane then deathcap. Then some cdr via codex. Dont play her as a true support tho. I only get one point on heal at 4 just for the proc for your passive. Check my sona record. She really can work and really well if you constantly harass, the main difficulty is defending. I've pulled off some awesome saves but in general if you let someone like jax or akali get close to you, you will die. I've had a few games now where i've gone 28/5/20 or thereabouts. Keep the movement buff as much as possible!

Kuryaka

10-20-2011

Basically: No heals. Support fire ERRYTHING.

You're not a healer. Supports aren't really healers now anyway. You are a mage with AOE, massive auras, and DPS boosts to your team.

SpecialTaktic

10-20-2011

if you build her like a support

yes it will suck

you need to try new builds on dominion, AP sion doesnt even get played and AD sion is considered god.

Shaxtenn

10-21-2011

AP Karma is good. Lots of utility (team-wide haste), free to max CDR really quickly with passive gold, and no ultimate ever on cooldown means she's at her full capacity in every fight. Her lack of hard CC means she's vulnerable to assassins and bruisers, but tbh so is almost everyone.

AP Janna is great. Her passive is a solid team buff. Q is good for countering pushers among its other uses. W makes you fast and speed is king. Her ult is great for defending points from dive attempts. All her CC is really handy.

AD/AS Taric is pretty good. You can complement his armour debuff with items like Cleaver and Stark's, and then pick up more items that work with those two. I had a hard time going up against champs like Xin/Jax/Trynd though.

Triforce Sona seemed to work ok. I never play Sona though so I was pretty rubbish at it. I think AP Sona does well too.

AP Nunu was really fun. I know he's not strictly a support but hey whatever. ROA, deathcap, void staff, revolver, and the game's usually over before I can decide between gunblade or WOTA. He falls over against the wrong enemy team, but so does anyone.

Anyway, yes, all supports are viable in Dominion. Don't build them as supports though, that's silly. Explore their full capabilities with the expensive AP items you can never afford in SR, and try out troll builds like AD or crit because chances are they'll work.

Aikimiller

10-21-2011

The support playstyle is one that doesn't really fit into the current meta (the current meta being everyone running around like it's a little league soccer match, with no real purpose or understanding of why they're there).

If you get a team that coordinates, defends, and covers the different roles in champ select, a support can be amazingly good. It plays differently that in SR- you're more than just a babysitter, however you're still a heck of a lot better when you've got allies close by.

lbgsloan

10-21-2011

Supports really shouldn't be called supports in Dominion, as they should be building as mages or tanky mages if you don't want to be a massive late game liability to your team. I've seen some work, some not so much. My 2 cents:

Soraka - Decent bot, pretty good early to mid-game, starts to fade later as she lacks the burst damage of real mages.

Sona - Pretty weak early on, gets decent mid-game with the right items, generally too squishy late game to do much.

Taric - Decent early-mid-game. Lacks the damage output to be of much use later, though good survivability.

Janna - Passive is awesome, early-mid game damage output is good. Lacking late game due to weak ultimate, usually has to resort to ninja-capping.

Karma - Decent bot, strong mid-game, weak W really cripples her later on.

Zilean - Really strong early-mid game, but one offensive skill (with a 4 second damage delay) means he can't do much later on by himself. Usually has to resort to ninja-capping.

Karma could be quite strong if Riot ever remembers she exists and gives her some buffs, but beyond that I'd say all the supports are average picks at best in Dominion.

Jpeg

10-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wekele0 View Post
The reason I'm wondering is because Sona is my main, but I keep seeing threads where people say supports suck in Dominion, so I've been afraid to try her. However, she seems pretty viable to me as she has things I feel would be viable in Dominion, like her movement speed buff. Do you think Sona or any supports would be viable for Dominion?
have you ever played AD sona? with the passive gold you don't have to be support, you can have a huge impact on the game

@lbgsloan you forgot alistar

SunRedux

10-21-2011

AD/AD Sona works great.
AD Taric is a beast.
Alistar is a beast at pushing bottom.
Nidalee is balanced all around.
Karma , i have yet to try her but people say she's great on Dominion.
Teemo , well , mushrooms everywhere.
Soraka is alright but i'd say the other two provide more utility for their team.

AP/AD Sona + AD Taric are my best supports in Dominion.