Assassins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RoyBaldwinThe3rd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

Where do Assassins fit in this game? They're far too squishy to be considered remotely tanky. They have little to no CC to be used for utility. Nor do they deal enough sustained damage to be a carry. I see them more as AD casters if anything, but most normally lack any useful CC. The only useful CC that I see is silence from Talon.

I really want to get started on playing assassins, such as Talon, since they seem to be fun, being able to off targets one by one. However, I don't want to be a hinder to my team if they don't really serve a purpose to the team.

Soldrart

10-20-2011

They tend to have insane single target burst, akali is an assasin who can just pop up, insta-kill someone, run. (kat, lb, kass, talon, poppy, all these champs tend to do that.)

RoyBaldwinThe3rd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2011

Yes, but once team fighting starts, wouldn't it be hard to assassins to useful? Most assassins are melee and would be melted by the opponents. I mean they can go after the carries, but aren't they normally protected by the tank or tanky DPS?

I am going off what I hear, if I am wrong. Then I am wrong.

Lord Dunkmaster

10-20-2011

It depends on your play style. For example, I use Kassadin a lot. In team fights, I generally wait until I get a chance to gank, or someone is silenced / stunned / slowed, and I rift walk in, deal 1.5k damage with a spell combo (with max AP items, of course), and riftwalk back out.

Learning to sit on the sidelines until the moment arises is the key.

Also, Akali is very good at dropping people in a combo, if she's set up and played right.

RoyBaldwinThe3rd

10-20-2011

I see. So Assassins strike at the most opportune moment rather and staying with the team.

-A side question: How often do assassins get raged at for "stealing kills" since they appear the team fights a bit later than everyone else.

TwistWrist

10-20-2011

Depends on their teammates.

DrDooma

10-20-2011

Assassins do not need to be squishy, although I can see what you mean because they are sometimes tricky to play right. The general pattern of LOL is that carries kill tank with continous dps, tanky characters kill ap characters after they tank the nuke and then get close and beat them up, and ap characters nuke down squishy carries. Assassins fill the same role here as the ap nuke, just with more finesse. Smart ap and ad carries wont just jump into a fight and they then need to be focused and killed by an assassin.

The job of an assassin in a team fight is to get in and kill the enemy squishys then get out before dying. All assassins have a dash combined with a burst, you gave talon as an example. He can dash to an enemy ap caster, silence them, rake, bleed and then ult to either finish them off or run away. Take the best assassins, akali, kass, talon, they can all jump in, kill someone, then either go invisible, or jump away again. At this point you still do some pretty good dps as a carry though and only run from a fight if you failed to kill the enemy nuke as you are about to become their number one target.

If left alone a fed carry or ap nuke will bring down your entire team while staying at a range that would be untouchable for most characters, its your job to deal with them. If you believe yourself to be too squishy you are either engaging incorrectly or are building incorrectly. Wait for the tanks to jump in and the first waves of cc to shot on by, no need to jump to a target only to be stunned in the middle of their team. Once you see an opportunity jump their casters and carries, kill and get out. Never jump the tank. If you feel you are too squishy as an assassin you need to build a little better. A frozen mallet on talon with greatly buff his survivability, his damage, and give him additional cc. (throw in a atmas for crazy armor, hp and damage). Still too squishy, get a banshees, this great item allows you to jump in and avoid a critical stun or disable allowing you to bring their carries to their knees.