Is it just me or is the friend referral system kind of ridiculous?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kearndog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2010

So, I've gotten several friends to play LoL and they've both gotten to lvl 10+, and I didn't get anything for it. My question is: why is the bar set so high for friend referrals? Why do I have to refer 50 people and get them to lvl 10 to get the special warwick skin? My thinking is this: the friend referral system has such ridiculously high standards that I'm not even interested in spending the time to send the referral emails to that many people. If they were to significantly lower these standards. Say after 5 friend referrals, you get a special champion skin of your choosing. Or you get a month long IP boost. Now if that was the case, I might actually go out of my way to recruit more friends to reach one of those referral tiers. However, as it is, the bar is set so high, It's not even possible for me to refer enough people to get to the cool benefits.

I'm going to ask friends to try LoL either way, but I'm just not too excited about the difficulty of getting rewards.

Anybody else thinking the same thing?

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

06-16-2010

You already get free boosts every 5 or so. 10 people gets you 975 RP. Its not supposed to be a short term "oh look I'm done" You're supposed to be recruiting for as long as you're playing. Grez has 1500 referrals.

ap0Gsound

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2010

you don't necessarily refer friends to get the prizes, you refer friends because you want to play the game with them

the rewards are just a nice bonus

of course, there are those that do set out to acquire the rewards... you'll have to ask them how they rationalize it :]

BangWow

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
You already get free boosts every 5 or so. 10 people gets you 975 RP. Its not supposed to be a short term "oh look I'm done" You're supposed to be recruiting for as long as you're playing. Grez has 1500 referrals.
This means I could spend the 975 rp on a spiffy skin and not a champ?

kearndog

06-16-2010

I agree that Riot should give people something to shoot for, but there's no way I'm getting more than about 5 referrals to get past lvl 10. So, if there's no significant benefit for doing that. Then, I'm not even gonna bother referring the people that I get to play. Grez is probably getting friends of friends to refer him or using a website. Good for him, but I'm not going to be able to invite more people than my friends who already play videogames which is around 5 people. So, unlikely grez, once I invite all the people I already know, my friend referrals stop there and I will probably never make it to the 5 friend referral award b/c those people already play LoL.

Lucid Dreaming

06-16-2010

The referral system obviously isn't for you then.

kearndog

06-16-2010

Well I guess nobody really agrees with me then. I've recruited my brother who recruited 4 friends and I recruited another friend who also recruited 3 more. I had a friend recruit me, and since they reset the referral rewards. I haven't seen a single boost. Eh, I'm not griping b/c I don't like the current system. I'm just saying, I don't feel that I or anyone has a realistic chance of getting to any of those rewards.

P.S. I haven't seen a single medieval twitch or warwick.

kearndog

06-16-2010

and -1 my thread for everyone immediately agreeing w/ the emissary of the league. Of course he's gonna say that the current setup is perfect.

BangWow

06-16-2010

I'm sure they expect 1 person to get to 10k if that.
Only a few to get 1k.
Only a handful to get to 350.

975rp is worth it to me to get 10 then I stop.

Larias

Adjudicator

06-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearndog View Post
and -1 my thread for everyone immediately agreeing w/ the emissary of the league. Of course he's gonna say that the current setup is perfect.
It's not a matter of Emissary vs non-Emissary - it's a matter of what people agree with or don't agree with.

The RAF is a completely optional program that rewards people for going out of their way to help other players.

I recruited well over 2,500 players in beta in less than a month. It's not as hard as people believe.