Ultimate Olaf Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeatB1ade

08-06-2010

The only issue I see with this guide is the slow progression towards lifesteal. The combination of vicious strikes + the leech from an item like bloodthirster can really keep you going in a team fight that would push you over the edge to victory when otherwise you would have died and possibly lost the fight.

To the OP or any experienced Olaf users, how do you feel about bloodthirster in the place of ghostblade? I know the runs speed and attack speed is great, but the leech on the thirster + the stacks after 20+ minion kills is pretty deadly.

CarbunkleFlux

08-12-2010

I think the big benefit with ghostblade is less the stats it provides and more the active. Ghostblade's active is insanely good for chasing, escaping and dpsing; and it's on a relatively low cooldown. Since Olaf has no other escape mechanisms and relies on chasing, that give him the edge he needs to get in and kill things. Plus building up to it gives him some extra cash and early crit thanks to the Avarice blade.

Bloodthirster's stats synergize well with him, but I wouldn't replace Ghostblade with it. IMO Ghostblade is pretty much a requirement on him.

JefeRico

08-19-2010

I purchased Olaf 3 days ago, and tried several other builds with mixed success. Overall, I felt the purchase was going to be wasted. However, once I found this build it changed my opinion of the champion entirely. I've had more wins with this build than any other. A huge compliment to the OP and the detail he goes into about strategy, item choices and general information about Olaf. Probably the most game changing thing here was the ghostblade rush after boots. I can't stress enough how well it synergizes with his W and absolutely punishes the first few champions who find themselves on the other end.

Eleoste

08-19-2010

I am really dissapointed with Olaf as i cannot figure him out at all.... I generaly finish games with 7-10+ deaths with kills averaging the same. In addition i can't help feel like im merely just another champ rather than being a carry.

Focus fire, mages, other dpses liek Xin scare the **** outta me...Why? Because they often focus fire me before i can do much. I only get kills if they decide to run away. Having a larger number of burst champs around also renders my W useless due to the fact they unload their damage and just dash away...

JefeRico

08-19-2010

I guess my only advice would be to use tank masteries and play like the fragile DPS you are until you get starks.

Generally, just try to punish their charges early on with a blind and undertow. Using this build so far I've found that I get enough chase down using Undertow and Ghost / Ghostblade that I can use Exhaust for defense. As soon as they turn their back or it looks like they are going to try and outlast you toe to toe use your W and git 'r done. The thing that other melee champs seem to forget is that as they get you closer to death you become an absolute terror.

Late game I had an Akali jump me at half health, she got me to about 5% HP, but I attacked so fast and hard at that point that my activated W killed her in a mere few seconds and had me back to half health. Literally 2-3 700+ crits.

Animus

08-19-2010

I'm tempted to buy Olaf, but honestly me being level 25 atm, I've never seen Olaf do extraordinarily well outside of maybe 1 or 2 games. In games I just see him being outcarried by say a Xin, etc.

JefeRico

08-19-2010

Here's my game record for tonight with this build. The two most recent were the other team surrendering at about the 25-35 minute mark. There are even 2 4v5 victories in here with a leaving teammate.

http://yfrog.com/5oolafkj

Enjoy.

Just for the record, I'm only level 20. So I have to acknowledge the fact that I in an arranged 5v5 match I would have likely been countered. And I also have to acknowledge the fact that I was lucky and placed with at least 3 competent people during each of these wins. As far as Xin VS Olaf I feel like Xin is higher front end damage with a dependable high damage output where Olaf is just plain volatile.

Animus

08-19-2010

What build were you using?

X SouLReaveR X

09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
Reckless Swing (E) is a reasonably strong ability, particularly if you max it first. However that means very little because as I stated earlier, you have a horrible time trying to keep in range of enemies early in the game. Often you will get the 1 nuke off and that will be the extent of the damage you put on the target
To mean that seems like a reason to get E over W, because W implies that you will be right clicking the opponent without them moving. This rarely happens early game, and occurs more often as the game prolongs. It would make sense to me to level Q and E with a point or 2 in W. What I use is W - > Q -> Q -> E. Followed by R>E>Q>W.

Neo1793

09-09-2010

I have had olaf for some time now and was really having a hard time playing him. I just googled a guide for him and came across this. I have used a lot of other guides before and couldn't really do much with them. This guide has completely changed the way that I play olaf and I can actually kill things! By far the best guide I have come across. Just one question. Can you jungle WITHOUT runes? I am only lvl 15 at the moment and I haven't jungled for fear of... being killed by creeps lol. Thanks for the guide and good luck!