Ultimate Olaf Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vychoow

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxion View Post
Lol, that statement makes your whole argument invalid.
Sorry, but you are wrong. As i stated before in my guide, there is almost never enough time to build Vampiric Sceptre into anything. Still, Malady is far more cost effective on Olaf, if you play this character right, your teammates wont benefit from starks if you build it.
Even if you think about high elo games, when you have to stick more to your team, there are other champs who can build it.

Vorvoros

06-30-2010

Great guide with excellent pointers. Ill be sure to try this perspective, though allow me to present mine.
I find cdr on olaf pretty good. Thus i master him as a caster in a 9/0/21 format, to get the cdr, coupled with runes i start with circa 15% cdr, helping me jungle with q spam as the cooldown is nullified if u pick up the axe. Getting ghostblade only helps his natural high cooldowns, making grinding/chasing a much easier task. Let me know of your opinion.

PoohBear26

07-15-2010

+1

I've read a lot of guides about this hero and that. If I hadn't come from Dota, I'd probably have found their lane and team fighting strategies/tips more useful, but none of it seemed fresh...

...this guide on the other hand is exactly the opposite. Laid out incredibly well; presenting an aspect of the game, jungling, that I rarely experience. It's something I've always struggled with, since I primarily play tank/support heroes who don't jungle or simply cant. A+ material

StarcraftGhost

07-15-2010

i Only play Olaf on TT and this holds true with my views. but you look at game from "jungler or not" where as i make similar changes in my build but i determine it if the enemy has "tanks or no tanks". if they have tanks:
dsheild,
boots,
boots2/longsword/chain vest(x2 if ninja)
madreds
longsword, ruby crystal
phage.
that is just as much damage as the ghostblade route and totally saves your ass, helps u win by always getting the buffs etc.
if they arent tank heavy (in 3v3 u only have 3 game options, 1,2 or 3 tanks) ill pass on the madreds.
i regularly get starks, but i will trade it for Last whisper very often if no one on my team will benefit from starks.

StarcraftGhost

07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorvoros View Post
Great guide with excellent pointers. Ill be sure to try this perspective, though allow me to present mine.
I find cdr on olaf pretty good. Thus i master him as a caster in a 9/0/21 format, to get the cdr, coupled with runes i start with circa 15% cdr, helping me jungle with q spam as the cooldown is nullified if u pick up the axe. Getting ghostblade only helps his natural high cooldowns, making grinding/chasing a much easier task. Let me know of your opinion.

CDR??? really i found out instantly that was my least needed stat on him. since u will be doing some autoattcking to kill them. not just spell spam, im not waiting on cooldowns on my spells as it is with 0 cdr. I suffer from mana problems as it is, wouldnt want to spam more. i dont see how ur cdr can improve spells with under 7 second cooldowns already. it is nice for the W and ult though?? or just more E spam? im curious, cause its easy to incorporate cdr for me

Vorvoros

07-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarcraftGhost View Post
CDR??? really i found out instantly that was my least needed stat on him. since u will be doing some autoattcking to kill them. not just spell spam, im not waiting on cooldowns on my spells as it is with 0 cdr. I suffer from mana problems as it is, wouldnt want to spam more. i dont see how ur cdr can improve spells with under 7 second cooldowns already. it is nice for the W and ult though?? or just more E spam? im curious, cause its easy to incorporate cdr for me

I just picked up olaf again and tried a whole different setup. This one relies on going deep into defense tree to keep me alive for my passive and abilities to last as long as possible.
Thus i took out any manner of cdr, apart from items. Now the trick is that i find at least 15% cdr on him invaluable,which i can get with either omen (my choice) or possibly ghostblade. I do though base this build on hp and tankiness so i generally omit ghostblade.

Now as for the cdr build. Comparing the 2 build, the defensive one is more reliable. Olaf got immence cooldowns, thus cdr benefits him. In the cdr build i generally go for 30% cdr, having a nuke e at ~3secs, w leaving me open for ~4secs and an axe with 1 sec cool. Jungling with blue is way faster cause u get to spam q every second, provided u pick it up. Without blue though, as u said, u ll be running out of mana relatively quick, unless u build mana items like veil. His low mana pool doesnt accomodate cdr though, which was the reason to try the defensive tree, which does indeed seem more reliable.

StarcraftGhost

07-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorvoros View Post
some stuff .
you bring up some interesting points, i rarely play olaf on SR, but with the golem i could see how the cdr would benefit you. also im gonna have to work omen into my builds more often.

Armed Response

07-18-2010

First and foremost I have to say, this is an awesome guide.

I've been bouncing around with so many different olaf builds and variations for two days now, this one seems to be the winner.

In conclusion, this guide is awesome.

If my post was humorous in anyway? Good.

Vrtra Theory

07-19-2010

Sometimes, I end up in a game where I'm underfarmed, no kills, no gold, etc., and it's tough to determine what order to build things in. I might be running with Phage, Avarice Blade, and my boots, and we're already in the middle of teamfights, so it gets tough to itemize -- I want to finish Ghostblade, but desperately need lifesteal, so I grab Emblem of Valour, then I feel a little too squishy, so finish Frozen Mallet, etc. Anyway, it seems like in some games I end up with the first component of each of my main items.

This isn't a problem in games where I'm dominating, as in those games I tend to quickly build Ghostblade, Boots, Frozen Mallet, Stark's. I have been liking the addition of Ghostblade, my previous build was Mallet, Boots, Atma's, Stark's (basically relying on W+E for damage.)

Just curious if other people have experienced this and whether they shift their build order when they end up in a "bad" game.

One more question -- I have seen some Olafs build what I'd call "carry-style", Last Whisper + Infinity Edge + Bloodthirster. It doesn't rely appeal to me, but what are your thoughts on a build like that?

CarbunkleFlux

08-05-2010

I just wanted to say, thank you for writing this guide. I'm using it as my base to become competant with Olaf and build the confidence to bring him into ranked matches.

I also wanted to ask your opinion; how do you feel about Aegis of the Legion on Olaf? Is Starks just a better choice for aura since the Lifesteal and AS synergizes well with W? I like Aegis because the armor and MR makes Olaf harder to kill and it buffs AD slightly, adds HP too. All stats that are very beneficial to him. And provides an AD aura.

Am I gimping myself by going Aegis over Starks?