Tristana: AD or AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zon

06-15-2010

Hello! I'm new to LoL and am working on learning my first champion, Tristana. I got her from following the game on Facebook, which is where I heard about it to begin with. I've played a couple of games and I have a question. Is Attack Damage or Ability Power better for Tristana?

I have gone Attack Damage for my first two games and it's worked well. I level Rapid Fire first so that when I have high attack damage items I can get big hits off quickly. Rocket Jump is my secondary ability, as it serves both as a great gank tool and as an escape. I level explosive shot when I can't train either of the other two, with my ultimate taking priority over all else of course.

Is this the correct way of playing, or should I be training a different skill order and/or going AP?

AlejoTheBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2010

i personally think ap is ALOT better then ad for her

for AP Ult>Jump>explosive>rapid fire after other two are lvl 5 and ult isnt available.

however AD isnt a bad way to go

RaTukt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2010

You can always try a hybrid.

Zon

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4l3X View Post

for AP Ult>Jump>explosive>rapid fire after other two are lvl 5 and ult isnt available.

That's the skill build I figured an AP build would use. I'll definitely be trying it out in the near future. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTukt View Post
You can always try a hybrid.
I'm reluctant to try that only because I like to get items with some survivability as well as AD. I figure if I try to get survivability AND AD AND AP I might end up gimping everything because my gold is spread out too much. But who knows, it might be viable. :P

Urobolus

06-15-2010

Black Cleaver is the only reason you'd want to go AD. I personally haven't tried AP, since I haven't touched her since I was level 15...

playshin

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4l3X View Post

I have never seen a Tristana go with AP, let alone do well with it (and i've seen lots of Trists), so I can't really refute that. But IMO, AD Trist's the way to go, cause Tristana is very fragile. AP Trist means you have to actually get quite close to the enemy to deal damage, and that puts you in danger. However, AD Trist is safer, with her really long range because of her passive she can deal tons of damage without actually being close to her target. AD Trist works really well, many people have owned with it. But i haven't tested AP yet, so be my guest if you wanna try.

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

06-16-2010

I prefer AD over AP, because yes you could try to burst with trist, but there are so many champions that are better at it, not many are better than she with attack damage and she has rediculously good range.

Hakairyu

06-16-2010

I think it's a matter of taste, and also about how long the game will last. If you have a level advantage with Tristana, Rocket Jump will do plenty early. If you manage to snowball well enough, then your damage output will always be decent enough to at least Rocket Jump -> Buster Shot -> Rocket Jump. One of the issues is that you don't have enough throughput (all of Tristana's cooldowns are relatively high, so Lich Bane doesn't work well on her either), and in general your Rapid Fire is going to waste.

AD, however, is a little safer. You take advantage of your first skill as well as your passive, use Rocket Jump as an escape, and use Buster Shot as disruption.

Dragonk

06-17-2010

AD Tristana is not that great until mid game but is far more lethal late game. AP Trist is good early game but putters out late game.

cwatz

Adjudicator

06-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon View Post
Hello! I'm new to LoL and am working on learning my first champion, Tristana. I got her from following the game on Facebook, which is where I heard about it to begin with. I've played a couple of games and I have a question. Is Attack Damage or Ability Power better for Tristana?

I have gone Attack Damage for my first two games and it's worked well. I level Rapid Fire first so that when I have high attack damage items I can get big hits off quickly. Rocket Jump is my secondary ability, as it serves both as a great gank tool and as an escape. I level explosive shot when I can't train either of the other two, with my ultimate taking priority over all else of course.

Is this the correct way of playing, or should I be training a different skill order and/or going AP?
First of all, AD is definitely better than AP.

Secondly you shouldn't be leveling rapid first first. It is her best ability and the most important one later in the game (roughly 20 minutes and above), however it is very weak early in the game. Her auto attacks dont do very much damage and you dont often get chances to unload on things early in the game.

By getting levels of rocket jump and/or explosive shot (even if its just a few ranks of them early on) you drastically increase her strength in the early and midgame, rather than being completely useless until you get items. Most importantly you can still get rapid fire maxed (or close to maxed) by the time it becomes important.

I think if you try that out you will find yourself much stronger throughout the entirety of the game, rather than having to wait till you have items to be useful (at which point you can still have rapid fire maxed anyways).