Sorc. Boots + or vs Void Staff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Concretar

06-15-2010

'lo mage loving summoners,

It occurred to me that a lot of games, after buying my sorc boots I almost immediately end up with a Void Staff for my mages. I'm wondering whether void staff may be enough magic penetration for the whole match, and I could spend my boot money on other stuff (like boots of swiftness or merc's treads).

If an opponent is low on MR, he's probably squishy anyways, so I wouldn't need the +20 magic pen from the boots to kill him. If he's a tank with 150+ MR my boots wouldn't make a big impression either, with void staff making most of the difference. Does this leave sorcerers boots obsolete or, a less viable option than swiftness or mercs?

Holler

Netheryn

06-15-2010

I'd say it's pretty obsolete. Especially since they changed the MR reduction formula to apply the % AFTER the base damage. So you're taking 20 points off the top, then 40% rather than 40% then 20 points. I'd say don't bother with the boots, but the void staff is huge. May also consider Abyssal Scepter depending on the champ.

Vacazar

06-15-2010

i personally dislike the sorcerer's boots, because treads are more versatile. most champs don't even buy magic resist, so your runes and an abyssal scepter should be enough. in case your enemies are buying items such as banshee's veil or force of nature, a void staff would be a favorable item, as it scales with the your enemy's defensive stats.

Concretar

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netheryn View Post
May also consider Abyssal Scepter depending on the champ.
Abyssal scepter instead of void staff? With boots it'd give what, 40 magic pen?

But thanks for the input, I thought I was a dreamin or something!