Maokai vs Galio?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myrmidont

10-17-2011

maokai is the better ganker, and will have his ult up for more situations

Gnarlsbarkly

10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedTico View Post
Maokai is beast...

"in a teamfight galio has a better ult" but in a teamfight the enemy has to be near galio. Maokai can sapling toss behind the tanks to get vision on the ranged carries and lock them down with his root
Yeah because his root definantly goes as far as his sapling. This isnt very accurate. In my opinion Galio has less cc as far as qwe but in his aoe slow and planted speed buff he becomes a tank(I always play him tank) that can catch the enemy team when they are trying to get away. Maokai needs less feed to 1v1 a champ is pretty much the one benefit he has over Galio. As far as "jobs" go in league I think of dps doing damage, tanky dps taking a bit of damage and dishing it out well, and tanks taking LOTS of damage and delivering massive CC. Galio conquers this role with the best of them.

But sometimes you can get put against a team where you cant build too much MR though on Galio which makes you facepalm

Our Hero Niko

10-17-2011

i loved galio ever since he came out.

they are both very different.

Doctor Vosa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2011

Galio isn't very tanky/supporty. He plays more like an AP Carry than anything, except for the sweet ultimate.

Maokai is rock solid, though. Dropping saplings everywhere, rooting the enemy, then dropping the ult right when a teamfight starts.

Maokai if you want tanky support.
If you wanted Galio, you'd want Tanky DPS.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

10-17-2011

They are both mage tanks. Here is the key difference, though:

Maokai can peel people off your carry, but he cannot initiate a teamfights with a huge aoe cc.

Galio can initiate a teamfight with a huge aoe cc, but he cannot peel enemies off of his team for beans.

That is the chief difference - Galio is bigger and showier and more effective in short bursts, Maokai is more consistent.

Pick whichever one you'd prefer.

Tserris

10-17-2011

Maokai has bush-checking shrubberies, a solid snare, an ineffective slow with a channel interrupt, decent harass, decent farm, and one of the better team fight-under-the-turret and turret-saving ults in the game. Good early game, great mid game, mediocre late game.

Galio has solid harass, a respectable slow that's moderately difficult to land, speed boost on a easy-to-land nuke, great anti-auto attacker shield with fantastic sustain, and a niche ult that can turn a team fight on your favor all on it's own. Decent early game. great mid game, mediocre late game.

Galio is harder to play, farms harder than Mao, has better lane-sustain, and has the ability to single-handedly turn a team fight in your favor, and has a much harder harass.

Mao has better lane-safety with his free suicidal wards, sets up kills better than Galio can, lasts longer in team fights, invaluable for pushing towers and defending them, he can also jungle where Galio cannot.

Galio is 60% mage 40% tank, Mao is 60% tank 40% mage.

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2011

Answer is all too obvious.

Saplings are ADORABLE.

PerfidiousAlbion

10-17-2011

I have them both. I greatly prefer Maokai myself.

He's a far better ganker, he can peel well with his W where as Galio can only do so with his long CD ult and he has a 6sec CD interrupt in his Q, while Galio again can only function similarly by using his ult. Mao also has just as good early game harass and a powerful vision utility in his E. His passive provides very respectable healing in a team fight. I'll always proc my passive at least twice in a teamfight, and can reasonably get as many as 3-4 procs in. %14-28 healing on a tank that's been stacking a fair bit of health makes a big difference.

Galio has a stronger ult. A far stronger ult. But since it also has a far longer CD I find it hard to say he's got a clear advantage even there. People rag on Mao's ult, but a teamwide %20 damage reduction for even a few seconds along with a fairly high damage AoE is nothing to scoff at. Its only real limiting factor is bad team-mates. People smart enough to stay in it make it much stronger, while Galio's ult is less dependant on team-mate skill.

Quenthal

10-17-2011

I have both of them as well. Galio is nice on teams that are on teamspeak/vent, and Mao is nice in pugs if you anticipate movement with his ult.

I preffer Mao, but I really want to like Galio more.

HMS BUTTPEE

10-17-2011

Quote:
People rag on Mao's ult
Butbut...Maokai's ult is one of my favorite ults in the game!

20% damage reduction is completely insane! I don't even care about the explosion! 20% damage reduction also makes Maokai one of the only characters that can break 80% damage reduction without doing something completely idiotic with his build.