Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Maokai vs Galio?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caitlin Sweeney

10-16-2011

I finally have enough to buy either Galio or Maokai, but I just can't decide which champ would be better for filling the role of tank and/or support.

Help please?

AlexIchonfire

10-16-2011

i think galio is better overall....
But i prefer maokai somehow

Caitlin Sweeney

10-16-2011

Yeah i feel the same way

BrotherCaine

10-16-2011

I love.. and I mean LOVE support Moakai right now. Flash + CV. Gold/5 items. He is the perfect person to feed a vayne or xin or something else nasty and AD bot. Great map control. If you like being a despot with wards/oracles and locking down the map he is very hell fun.

Galio is one of the best solo toppers right now. Teleport + Flash. Bulwark is sillysause sustain. He is great in the way that he can laneswap to mid in a pinch if someone has just been hard countered. He is hard countered by smart people who have champs that can preload CC onto their next hit. These champs include Renekton, Garen, Bear stance Udyr and Blitzcrank.

Galio is slightly more dependant on the 1 big moment during a teamfight for an ultimate whereas Maokai is better at a longer brawl and looses no effectiveness as he locks down out of position carries for his team to decimate. Maokai is alot better when your team chooses to siege a tower; although the tower damage is not reduced the defending champ's damage is... almost to ignorable level.

AlexIchonfire

10-16-2011

get galio, he's easier to master and his ult is better than maokai'S

Brianqt

10-17-2011

Galio is better in team fights but maokai will dominate his lane most of the time and get a competent ad carry fed bot.

Houle

10-17-2011

They are different...

Gallio definitively got a better ult, his ult can completely reverse a teamfight (just like amumu's ult). While Maokai's ult works for 2 secs (until everybody get out, even teamates).

But... After Gallio's ult is done. I think that Maokai become better when a Teamfight last longer. He has better abilities that teases enemy carries during teamfight, as much as defending your carries (Snare+Little knockback slow). While Gallio only has a Slow with a longer CD than Maokai's slow.

But... Gallio's got a Shield that can make a teamate very tanky for some secs...

So i would say...

Gallio is a support that can turn a fight aroudn
Maokai is a tank that teases carries alot and can burndown an enemy squishy more than Gallio.

My opinion is that Gallio is better.

Twilight Monkey

10-17-2011

I would say it depends on your team.

If you got bot with a ranged carry Maokai would be better overall since he can ward/hold/push back enemies

If you partner is melee, Galio is great. He pops his ult and your friend got one or two free kills.

WickedTico

Recruiter

10-17-2011

Maokai is beast...

"in a teamfight galio has a better ult" but in a teamfight the enemy has to be near galio. Maokai can sapling toss behind the tanks to get vision on the ranged carries and lock them down with his root

ScyrinPain

10-17-2011

Maokai better helps unorganized teammates (solo/duo que), but Galio if you're going to be working with organized teammates. The planned 2 seconds of taunt will DESTROY in teamfights. DO NOT INITIATE WITH YOUR ULT. This is a terrible idea, as it is better used once the enemy team has grouped up and both teams are fighting then all of a sudden, BAM, your team gets 2 free seconds of attacking time. However, should you be in a solo que, your allies will turn tail and run only to turn around afterwards then complain that you 'failed your ult'.
Maokai works better for an unorganized team, as the larger AoE and timer of the ult allows for your team to gain a significant edge, without having to be planned.