@riot make garrison auto cast

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atraiyu

10-16-2011

The first time I had picked it up I did what a lot of others before me posted, clicked on it thinking that like Promote it would auto garrison the tower I standing on. I ended up losing that tower and dying in the confusion of those few seconds. That being said, I've had no difficulty using Garrison after that first initial mistaken encounter with it.

Having played using Fortify before, I wasn't thinking about targeting the tower. Would make sense to me to switch it to Garrison the tower you're in range of.

areid2

10-16-2011

As above there is only 1 possible target for the spell at all time and because it is almost always used in situations under duress like being tower dived where you only have a second to get it off before being chain stunned.

It's basicly a defensive move and needs to be 1 click so you can use it fast enough to survive. Even when using it offensively it will still be just as effective and just as intuitive. I don't understand the reasoning for not making it like this.

Arance

10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Auto cast is typically a little less intuitive. We used it on Promote because we didn't want people confused when trying to cast it on a normal minion and not have it work. That being said, if you guys can make a good argument for why it should switch I am down for it.
Really? I mean, I had always assumed before release that Garrison would auto-target. I can see someone confusing it a bit and accidentally using Garrison at a bad time if they're new to the skill and expect it to not auto-target (should be unlikely though if you gray the skill while they're out of range, most will notice that quickly). But even then, that would be a mistake some people made only once, having to take the extra time to target towers affects everyone all the time (and that time has really mattered to me before in the middle of a tower fight).

isOmetriC

10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire447 View Post
Because there is only one tower in range that it could possibly be cast on so having to select the tower only costs time.
There really is no better reasoning than this post. The reason it should be auto casted is BECAUSE THERES NO REASON TO NOT HAVE IT AUTOCAST.

Lootsweeper

10-16-2011

I thought of Garrison like Heim's ult. I thought, oh my tower next to me is just gonna gain the better stats, took me like 4 attempted casts in heated battles to realize I was doing it wrong. It makes no sense for me to have to spend my time choosing the only tower I can cast it on. I think it is less intuitive to have to choose something when there is only one choice.

Hugs From Momma

10-16-2011

There's no benefit from being able to select among the 1 target in range.

Storm Frog

10-16-2011

Quote:
Auto cast is typically a little less intuitive. We used it on Promote because we didn't want people confused when trying to cast it on a normal minion and not have it work. That being said, if you guys can make a good argument for why it should switch I am down for it.
The instances where you use Garrison are all very time sensitive. You are either:
  • Trying to interupt a cap.
  • Diving someone.
  • Having someone dive you.

I each case, if you are off by a fraction of a second you can lose your chance to cast Garrison. You could be stunned and killed while dishing out or receiving a dive, or someone could finish neutralizing a point during the small casting input delay.

I've personally died a few times because I missed clicked with Garrison and it feels really terrible.

There is also no situation where you have more than one target for Garrison, so it might as well be non-targeted.

HowlingKommando

10-16-2011

Agreed. I'd actually rather be able to target the Promote.

There's absolutely no point in targeting the garrison and I actually found the targeting less intuitive. I remember it taking me off guard that you had to target it, the first time I used it. It would also be much easier to use in clutch situations.

Valcyclovir

10-16-2011

Quote:
Both Garrison and Promote are available in Dominion only, a fast-paced "arcade" mode of LoL. Promote being auto cast is absolutely fine as it is. Garrison need to be changed to auto cast because it is much more convenient. It allows the player to have better focus on the opponent and to cast Garrison the exact moment he wants it to. As stated before, why having to manually cast something when it only has 1 obvious target ? Alistar's Triumphant Roar, Teemo's Move Quick... as obvious as it sounds, these spells are auto cast because the target is obvious. The frustration is the same when you fail to use those spells to escape/defend yourself because you have to click on yourself to activate it. I use Garrison in almost every Dominion game, and I happen to die the second I click on Garrison without having time to apply it on that tower I'm right under, quite annoying. On the offensive, the attackers will only use Garrison when they are close enough to the assaulting the tower, it just seems very logical to click 1 button to Garrison this tower and assault, while focusing on the opponent.

hollywoodAnimal

10-16-2011

Solution:

Have Smart-Cast auto-target the nearest turret

You keep your anti-intuitive targeting (what?) and we get what we want.

Just a thought.

1234567 ... 8