Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Carrying dominion games as Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekrogen

10-15-2011

EDIT: I now have a stream up! if you're bored during queues and wanna drop in please do: http://www.own3d.tv/Nekrogen

Well I've been meaning to do this for a while now but just haven't had the time. This is intended to be a general guide on how to play Ryze on dominion, and the general theory behind why he he can become such a huge threat.

While Ryze is extremely versatile in which role he can play in dominion, This guide is going to focus mainly on how to dominate bottom lane. You may be asking, "Why bottom lane? Isn't Ryze's damage output needed top to win the fight for windmill", and I would say he's around on par with other damage dealers early game and usually isn't very tanky to start off with (unless you start off with a catalyst... but good luck getting around without boots). After around 200 games with Ryze alone in dominion (since beta), here is what I have discovered about bottom lane and why Ryze fits in perfectly:

-Bottom lane is the carry lane. 50% of the game is on the hands of a SINGLE person. If the enemy wants to be crafty and put 2 bottom then more power to top. Ryze should be able to single handedly hold his own against 2 because of his snare (consider leveling snare a few times for maximum safety).
-Ryze is designed to be a high damage pusher in dominion considering how much mana you start with.
-Ryze builds his tear at a MUCH higher rate in bottom lane simply because you are pushing non-stop. Harassing the enemy laner also builds tear and forces him to back off for an easy push.***
-Almost all of the "superior" bottom lane champions are going to have a very hard time against Ryze simply because of his range and snare.
-When the lane is pushed you can easily promote and take/neutralize their bottom point forcing another enemy from top to come down and help. This will allow the rest of your team to *hopefully* overcome 3 top, or push to their mid point if the battle at windmill went well.

The benefit of going top is you simply become a nice addition to the damage output, but you really can't consistently build your tear without enemies being present which becomes a problem later game. I will now go over how to build Ryze and what kind of pre-game strategies you should keep in mind.

Summoner spells: EXHAUST + REVIVE. Since the summoner spell remake, flash has become less effective in all escape and catching up situations, and after many games of trying it out, I would say it's a wasted spell slot now. Exhaust is just a great alternative because it will essentially help close that gap for you and ensure 1v1 skirmishes bottom lane. I used to run promote, but ever since i entered the competitive scene I've been needing to take Revive a whole lot more due to ganks; it is, overall, a much safer summoner spell since you cannot guarantee another person will come bottom lane.
-Trade out Exhaust for Ignite if you feel that the enemy laner is going to have a lot of sustain in a 1v1 fight (i.e. Nasus, Morde, etc.).
-You can trade out Exhaust for Garrison if you think that you're going to need it vs strong early game pushers. Ryze pushes like a madman post 6, but before 6 you need to be careful of certain matchups.
-I personally haven't ran Clairvoyance on Ryze bottom lane but if you think that it might benefit your premade team, more power to you.

Runes are as follows:
-Reds: Magic Penetration, for rather obvious reasons
-Yellows: 9 Mana/lvl, because you gain levels at a ridiculous rate, these are very important. If you want to just go full on flat mana runes, be my guest, but I like to have a mix of early game and late game potential.
-Blues: 7 flat mana, 2 CDR/lvl, the 2 CDR/lvl is just to max out the CDR by end game, but the flat mana glyphs offer a LOT of damage early game, which is where Ryze is weakest. These are preference and can be swapped for MR, mana/lvl, etc, but you should always aim for 40% CDR.
-Quints: 3 flat mana. My old setup had 2 movespeed quints, but since we get 5% movespeed above 70% hp (and 2% movespeed below), we should already have 378~ movespeed with boots and 326 without (**** that's good), which is plenty vs most champions. The 3 flat mana quints actually provide a straight up 10 or so damage on each q and w at lvl 3, which makes a HUGE difference against champs like Yorick and other Ryzes.

Masteries: 0/21/9, capitalizing on the new defensive tree is huge for Ryze. Here are the specific masteries:
DEFENSE
-Resistance: 3**
-Hardiness: 2**
-Durability: 4, Health is a harder resource to acquire in Dominion now with Warmogs gone. Don't pass these up.
-Veteran's Scars: 1, Same reason as above, also providing an excellent beginning game bonus.
-Indomitable: 2, Flat out damage reduction of any form is welcome. You take 2 here because you will probably only face a certain type of champ bottom lane, and the extra point is going to be wasted in Resistance/Hardiness.
-Initiator: 3, 3% movespeed while trying to get into the perfect position to strike your opponent? Yes Please. Coupled with the 1.5-2% in utility = 4.5-5% movespeed above 70% hp, which is quite frankly nuts.
-Enlightenment: 3, getting the 8.1 CDR by lvl 18 is a must if you're going down the defensive tree as Ryze.
-Honor Guard: 2, Same reasoning as Indomitable. I only take 2 here because I believe the other point is better spent in the utility tree, but you are free to put the 3rd in here for 0/22/8.
-Juggernaut: 1, This is why you go all the way down the defense tree. The PERCENTAGE health increase is incredible for the same reason as Durability and Veteran's Scars; You should be getting around 100 HP from just this component alone end game, so approximately 250 HP total from masteries alone. You also get the 10% CC reduction which is honestly why you get this mastery. With this component you can get away with skipping Merc treads if you aren't facing a heavy AP CCer and get moonflair later without much worry, all because of this mastery. It also STACKS with other tenacity items to provide maximum spellcasting time .
UTILITY
-Summoners Insight: 0, I mention this mastery simply because it provides some nice stuff, but it a) doesn't lower the CD of promote anymore which is why I would take it and b) the reduced flash CD is nice but nothing new; there are better things to take here. If you'd rather take this mastery point over one I've invested below, then good luck deciding which one you're gonna sacrifice.
-Good Hands: 3 or 2, depending on how attached you are to this mastery, you'll want to take either 2 or 3. I take 3 because every second you are dead is a second more that the enemy has to capture your point.
-Expanded Mind: 3, 216 mana by lvl 18, yeah I'll take that. If you were a Ryze who went 5k mana, then this mastery got nerfed, but my build in fact does not go that high in terms of mana, only around 4k~ or slightly above that, which provides about 216 mana by lvl 18 anyways. That said, you only need to put 3 points into it now instead of 4, which is pretty nice.
-Swiftness: 3 or 4, depending on if you put 3 or 2 in Good Hands. I take 3 because there aren't enough mastery points!! QQ, but yeah I prefer the Good Hands mastery ever so slightly, but if you want that 5% movespeed buff, by all means. With 3 points you still have 4.5% movespeed, which is still really nice.

Items:
It Depends. Thats all I can really say, either go catalyst if you're having issues getting burst down in lane, or grab a glacial shroud for more pwnage. If you're facing someone with a lot of early game AP, grab a negatron and continue as usual. If you face someone with a lot of lane sustain, grab an early revolver. The order is very dependant on who you will be facing in lane, how their team is composed and what they're building against you. At the end of the day: My core build is always Tear of the Goddess, Merc/Sorc boots, Frozen heart, and Odyns veil (OP as hell on him) and Hextech Revolver. At this point your last item is going to be very situational, Here are some suggestions:
-Void staff, for when they are stacking MR against you (or your team)
-Moonflair spellblade, for when they are CC heavy (or have lots of silences). Typically, I grab this item instead of merc treads when the CC from most champs don't make a difference until later and they've leveled up those abilities. You need that movespeed and penetration ASAP if you are dominating their team. The alternative is to get Merc treads and Haunting guise instead of Sorc boots and Moonflair, which is perfectly fine but the latter is cheaper and good for the "Oh **** I'm being CC'd forever" moments. Also, most bottom lane problems won't be because you are being CC'd, it will be because they are pushing harder and sorc boots help to conter this. Take what you would prefer more. From recent experiences, I've started out with sorc boots and later exchanged them for merc treads, which works too if you don't mind wasting some money for securing your early game, just make sure to grab void/guise ASAP.
-Haunting Guise, this cheap little item provides health (yeah, itemized health in any form is excellent), AP and 20 penetration, which is great if they don't have much MR. You will notice a dramatic damage increase with purchasing just this item, but don't expect much if they have a bunch of tanks with MR; you should be grabbing a void staff in those cases.
-Quicksilver Sash, for when the enemy team has a CC that you need to get rid of immediately (Fiddle's CC combo, Rammus's taunt, Kassadin's Silence so you can get him before he rifts away, etc.). Also very useful against good Malzahars and Warwicks (good Warwicks will ult you when you REALLY don't want to be ulted), and provides a good chunk of MR.
-Abyssal scepter, for when theyre AP heavy, but you haven't bought void staff. I'm not a big fan of this item on Ryze, but there is nothing wrong with it.
-Rylais, for when you're getting bursted down and also gives a nice slow. Pretty expensive for what it gives Ryze, but if you really feel the extra utility is going to benefit you, by all means.
-Rod of Ages when you need more damage and they have 0 MR. Getting this first works, but you're really sacrificing the much needed CDR and MR that odyns and FH give. I would suggest starting off with a haunting guise, and if the game progresses past that point, sell it and grab this.
-Thornmail for those pesky AD hypercarries.

When you are finished building your 6 items, go ahead and upgrade your Hextech Revolver to Will of the Ancients then Tear of the Goddess to Archangels Staff (in that order). Archangels is good, but doesn't give as much as the other items before your tear is matured, and the extra 10% spellvamp from WotA isn't particularly useful right away, so don't worry about upgrading this until you are confident in your build (It's also cheap to upgrade, so doing it before upgrading to Archangels makes sense as well).

Skill order: R, Q, W, E with a point in E at level 4. The only time W should take priority over Q is when you are facing a very competent player bottom laner. R takes priority over Q simply because of the massive spellvamp and passive mana it gives.

Combos:
-QWQEQRQ: Standard DPS combo, maximum output but takes a while.
-QWEQ/QEWQ: Pre-6 burst combo. Because you get the XP masteries, you will get lvl 4 when you get to the health relic region, so you can contest it with this burst combo to make your opponent back off.
-QWEQRQ: standard burst combo
-QRQEQWQ: Maximum AoE and spellvamp for clearing minion mobs or clustered enemies.
-QEQWQRQ/QEQRQWQ: Non-standard DPS combos which incorporate the MR reduction from your E. Does more damage than the standard DPS combo, but you may not have them in place long enough.
-QERQWQ: Non-standard burst, but works wonders if you can pull it off.
There are many more combos (obviously), but these are the ones you will probably be using the most. YOU MUST USE SMARTCASTING ON RYZE FOR THESE TO WORK.

Enemy bottom laners to be wary of (Somewhat ordered):
-Urgot: Sort of the same deal as Kog'maw, but you can easily dodge his spam combo. Just make good use of your amazing movespeed and go in for the pain when he misses his E. Good Urgots WILL wreck you, so even with the good movespeed you probably won't stand a chance. No one will.
-Kog'maw: Doesn't always go bottom lane, but when he does he can become an immense annoyance. He doesn't have much pushing potential but if he gets his slow off on you, you can kiss your health goodbye. A good way to avoid most of his damage output is to notice when he has bio-arcane barrage up and when he doesn't, go in for the pain. A fed kogmaw is never fun in Dominion, but he is relatively manageable early game.
-Yorick: This zombie is going to be one of the biggest pains in lane you will ever see. You need to out DPS him early and get the health relic, and make sure you start with catalyst!
-Cassiopia: Sort of on the same level as Ryze, but doesn't benefit as much from pushing bottom as Ryze does (farming tear). Avoid her poison and DPS her when she misses.
-Soraka: This ***** is a bot lane master and will not stop pushing the lane no matter what. You're going to want to grab either MR if she is leveling her Q, or Merc treads if her silence is becoming too much of a problem. You CAN out DPS her early on, so use your larger range to take her down. Note that your snare is the same range as her silence (both are instant, but usually her silence wins).
-Brand: Good at pushing, but if you can avoid his stun, you're golden.
-Galio: Earnestly Ryze's biggest problem bottom lane. He's this down low because even if you see a Galio, he will almost never go bottom (speed boost for top lane). Try to avoid his combos and DPS him when they're on cooldown. Due to his shield, it is actually quite difficult to bring him low, but keep at it and focus on the push.
-Twisted Fate: If he has some early AP, his pushing and poking potential is very high. Avoid his Q and you should be able to force him to back off (even though his Q is long range).
-Fiddlesticks: He won't leave the lane until the minions are pushed or one of you is dead, and very problematic after level 6 where him being MIA could mean he is literally right above you. Building his counters (Tenacity + MR) will help a great deal and WotA will keep you on higher ground thanks to your massive damage output. When his fear and silence are down, go in for your nuke combos (after leaving his drain), because that is the best way to bring him down.
There are probably more, but I can't think of them at the moment, please comment if you have a champ you think would beat Ryze bottom lane.

Play-by-play:
Start with your Tear of the Goddess and boots and make sure you are soloing bottom lane. Please note that if you KNOW you're going to be having a hard time bottom lane, grab a catalyst instead because it DOES provide a better chance against those scary champs like kogmaw, heimer, yorick, AD bruisers (except Urgot who will wreck you even with more HP), etc. Head down, cap the point, and KEEP TO THE TOP OF THE LANE. This is exactly where your movespeed advantage is going to come into play, because you need to contest the health relic. If they think that bottom brush is more important, then you've already won your lane. While you wait for the health relic to spawn, concentrate all of your efforts on spamming the enemy AND the minions. You need to force your opponent to back off, but you also need to make sure your minions are amassing for the big push. Grab the health relic when you can, then continue pushing. By now, top should be decided and you're lane should be on the inevitable decision point too (assuming you aren't facing a dangerous bottom laner). Once your minion mob is at their last minion wave, it is time to promote. The minion mob will take care of the minions quickly, so focus your efforts on keeping your opponent at bay. When the mob starts capping the point, join in but cancel to harass your opponent off the point. The minion mob will do most of the work and if someone from top hasn't come down, you should have your first point. As I said earlier, if you force another player from their team to come bottom, you've given your team an immense advantage top, which is very good.***

By now you've either died, gone back because there is no way you can defend their bot point against 2, or you're still defending their bottom point. For the first 2, buy your much deserved items and rinse/repeat until you deem it necessary to assist top (I can't really help you here, this is dominion instinct and is too complex to know when to leave, but you should at some point). If you're still at their bottom point then congratulations! You've effectively carried your team by holding 2 points ALONE and should have a total of at least 3 assuming your team isn't sucking horribly. Hold their bot point until you deem it unsafe (or die), then go back to buy and rinse/repeat. The more time you control their bot point, the longer your team is at an advantage.

After a certain point in the game you need to adapt to how well your team is doing and how well your opponents are doing. If they are backdooring your bottom point while you are holding theirs, you need to evaluate whether or not your team is going to pitch in, or if you need to abandon your efforts.

For the last 5-10 minutes, you should be the god of your team. Your tear is probably at around +600 or so, and you can effectively 1v2 while defending. Focus on pushing other lanes and capping undefended points, because this is the time of the game that requires some skill and awareness of their team. Don't let your guard down! You might be a super carry at this point, but your team might be suffering so make sure you allocate your presence appropriately!

In conclusion, Ryze is an extremely strong champion in dominion and frankly underrated by some people. I just wanted to give the new dominion players a different perspective on how this mode works and why Ryze is a good choice in addition to how I build him. It's just my 2 cents, but I hope it helps those who haven't realized the true potential of one of the most amazing champs in the game.

TL;DR: Ryze is OP in dominion, but don't tell Riot!

**I take 3 in resistance and 2 in hardiness simply because the vast majority of bottom laners are actually AP as far as my experience is concerned. If you KNOW that you will be facing a good AD such as Yorick or Graves, then consider reversing these. You shouldn't remove one from Indomitable because you are wasting potential damage reduction against laners with only 1 type of damage (AD or AP).
***The preference of tear over catalyst+boots is subject to change in the near future. It is still very important to get tear, but actually more often than not you will probably want to start catalyst and work on getting a fast tear shortly afterwards. I will update and clean up these points when I can, but for now these points are still fairly accurate. I also want to make a section on when bottom lane becomes a 2v2.

Won my last 9/10 games bottom lane as Ryze. The one game lost was due to a leaver, which happens. Here are the screenshots:

Hugs From Momma

10-15-2011

Quote:
-Moonflair spellblade/elisias miracle, for when they are CC heavy (or have lots of silences). Typically, I grab these items instead of merc treads because they provide higher tenacity.

Might wanna look at that again.

Nekrogen

10-15-2011

Quote:
Hugs From Momma:
Might wanna look at that again.

Thanks, good catch. Fixed and updated.

Argotto

10-15-2011

I'd agree with the fact that ryze is more viable than many other casters atm, but he is still easily dealt with. Are we talking draft picks, or just plain randoms?

RealWolf M

10-15-2011

Only thing that concerns me about putting Ryze bot, is that he has no AoE beyond his ult.

If his ult is down, or if its pre-lvl 6, he can't fight off a minion wave effectively

Nekrogen

10-15-2011

The thing about bot is, whoever is zoned first will have a hard time pushing the creeps, right? If ryze wins the health relic he is pretty much free to harass the enemy champion and push the lane without resistance. Ryze does a fine job pushing the lane early game with his high damage dps combos on the large minions. If you take out their large minions, yours are allowed to clean up the caster minions and the lane pushes. AoE champs are good bot but do not assume that their damage is going instantly clean a wave, because it won't. Brand's conflagration isn't going to take out a super minion or even a caster minion at level 4-5, whereas ryze can easily dps down a super minion and keep his lane opponent at bay. Ryze also has his E for light AoE as well.

Nekrogen

10-15-2011

Bump for feedback.

Poopdog887

10-16-2011

I like your build. I pretty much do the same exact thing. I don't do the same masteries, but they've definitely proven viable. If you disagree with his build just check his match history... he almost always lands 1st in our high elo games. Can't argue with empirical evidence d00d.

ZaberZ

10-16-2011

whenever i play with nekrogen he completely dominates every time. He always controls bottom and when needed will leave bottom lane to carry. look at all these low elo players trolling.

Alvinheimer

10-16-2011

Ryze is beastly in Dominion good guide and observations!

@realwolf m. I don't really have a problem clearing large waves of creeps because i spam all abilities clearing the wave including W & E until R becomes available. I also run garrison just in case.