A comprehensive guide to Katarina - The Sinister Blade

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corazu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruuch View Post
I'm just wondering here... Since the two recent changes to the Kat ulti leave it at 40% dmg from AP, is it still worth going for the AP build even though it gets 65% from Attack Damage?
Yes. You've got far more damage off of Shunpo and blades because of it. I was playing a game tonight (very close game) and the other team was smart enough to move so I wasn't getting a lot of damage off of Death Lotus unless they were slowed/disabled - most of the damage was Shunpo and Blades. Now, I need to work on shunpo->in front and then death lotus, since I never really did that..or at least conciously, I was usually running into danger if I did that though since it was a chase back to towers/other team mates...

Love this hero though, very effective ganker and even late game for team fights can be quite devastating if played right.

The other team had a Kat playing a DPS build with some lifestealing and except for once when I got stun + slowed by another of them, I completely owned her every single time.

Fr05tbite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corazu View Post
Yes. You've got far more damage off of Shunpo and blades because of it. I was playing a game tonight (very close game) and the other team was smart enough to move so I wasn't getting a lot of damage off of Death Lotus unless they were slowed/disabled - most of the damage was Shunpo and Blades. Now, I need to work on shunpo->in front and then death lotus, since I never really did that..or at least conciously, I was usually running into danger if I did that though since it was a chase back to towers/other team mates...

Love this hero though, very effective ganker and even late game for team fights can be quite devastating if played right.

The other team had a Kat playing a DPS build with some lifestealing and except for once when I got stun + slowed by another of them, I completely owned her every single time.
Just to be clear, AP does not increase the Bouncing Blades damage.

I personally prefer the DPS Phys Kat. I love to be able to Shunpo> Death Lotus and then mop up the survivors with auto attacks and life steal them. People are like wtf what just happened!?!? Considering that you start with almost 60 Attack Damage and the Death Lotus does 65% of your physical damage I find it easier to get damage faser with the DPS build.

However the insane damage Shunpo's from AP is awesome with the AP build.

Wywytchel

11-07-2009

Anyone have suggestions for late game with AP build? I manage to do extremely well early and if there is even one carry opposite of me, I just teeter off late game. This is really disappointing when none of my team seems to be a tank or a carry and our team just crashes.

Gingko

12-07-2009

In your guide, for Shunpo, it says:

Quote:
Katarina instantly moves to her target location. If the target is an enemy, she deals damage.
This is somewhat misleading, since you must have a target to Shunpo to, whether it be your own minion or theirs. You can not just Shunpo into empty space, which is how that sounds. I don't recall if that's the exact text on the ability in game but you may want to adjust it in your guide accordingly.

Good guide btw, just tried Kat for the first time and went 18/5, not too bad.

boltti

02-09-2010

One thing you should notice between AP and ATK builds are the prices at shop. Where you have to pay almost 1.9k for 50 ATK, you can get 40 AP with only less then 900 etc, so you can build your AP up a lot faster than ATK.

I personally start with Regrowth Pendant -> Lucky Pick (for nice income, get this as soon as you hit 765 gold) -> Ninja tabi (for teh dodge (ki + ulti) -> Soulstealer (if you play good early-game which you should, this is important to have in the beginning) -> Rylai's (for slow) -> Zhonya's -> Lich Bane.

Had best of 43/3 with those items, many games with over 30 kills and even more with over 20 kills. Can't remember when was the last time I actually sucked with this build.

Dartkun

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltti View Post
One thing you should notice between AP and ATK builds are the prices at shop. Where you have to pay almost 1.9k for 50 ATK, you can get 40 AP with only less then 900 etc, so you can build your AP up a lot faster than ATK.

I personally start with Regrowth Pendant -> Lucky Pick (for nice income, get this as soon as you hit 765 gold) -> Ninja tabi (for teh dodge (ki + ulti) -> Soulstealer (if you play good early-game which you should, this is important to have in the beginning) -> Rylai's (for slow) -> Zhonya's -> Lich Bane.

Had best of 43/3 with those items, many games with over 30 kills and even more with over 20 kills. Can't remember when was the last time I actually sucked with this build.
Why you decided to necro a REALLY old thread, I'll never know. Do you queue with a premade or solo? I see you're doing pretty well in the lower brackets.

willbwow

03-25-2010

I usually get about 20 kills with this build, but sometimes I skip the phantom dancer and go straight for another bthirster or edge if I'm really fed.

Razid

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltti View Post

You just forget that you need about twice the amount of AP for DL to do the same dmg as AD. Also, why oh why don't you take sorcerer's boots? Kat without Magic Pen = ****.

Zelax2

10-14-2010

Played the ap build for my first time with kat and it worked very well .

I get the lucky pick then soc boots soulsteal Rylai's then b veil ending with war mong.

Works wonders

ZehNetoBR

10-18-2010

Well, I just happen to use Bouncing Blades a lot and it works pretty good for me. My skill build begins with something like Bouncing/Killer/Bouncing/Shunpo/Killer OR Shunpo.Lotus. Once I get that much, I just focus on pumping Shunpo and Killer, with Lotus when I get the chance. Shunpo+Killer is godly. I usually get some nice kills on 1v1 with Killer+Shunpo, then Lotus and, if needed, cancel with Bouncing.

The blades are pretty annoying, so they help pushing the enemy champions, which allows you to farm more, not to mention the extra gold you get from last-hitting minions. Besides, they are VERY useful when you're in the middle of a team battle and you're out of Lotus. When that happens, just get away (preferably by running, if you can. Otherwise, Shunpo) and aim Bouncing Blades at the proper target. If the conditions are appropriate and you do it right, you deal interesting damage to at least 2 targets. Besides, if you saved your Shunpo, you'll be able to use it on the weakest enemy.

Of course, I just began playing this game and I was only a casual at DoTa, but that's what I've been doing for now...and it works