U guys go play ap yi

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doctor Awesome

06-14-2010

My thoughts on an AP Yi build:

One of Yi's big weak points is his lousy mana-management, so starting with Meki-->DFG or Doran's Ring is a solid choice. That said, he can easily kill golem by himself with a little Meditate, so you don't need to go crazy on this.

Soulstealer is key to Yi because he can get kills so easily, but Yi is generally very likely to die in teamfights unless played very well--I wouldn't reccommend this until you're very familiar with AP Yi, when to use his abilities, etc. Definitely wait to enter teamfights until you see some crowd control thrown around.

Zonya's is an exceptional choice, especially early--this is what makes AP Yi hard to keep down; he can easily farm this monster up, and once he does, any AP items he buys later are far more powerful. AP is already significantly more aggressively priced than AD. Zonya's gives you a nasty trick for when the enemy finally does interrupt your Meditate, or when a charge doesn't pan out how you hoped. The new Needlessly Huge Rod is a very, very nice replacement for the BF Sword AD Yi would be buying. If at all possible, try to pop the activated part of this when there's 2 or less seconds left on AS's cooldown, so you can fire it the second you get out for even more evasion. Alternatively, fire this right before you Meditate--it should make it much easier to get it off without getting stunned/etc. since most people back off when you go invulnerable.

In any case, here would be my build. I'll test today and see how it turns out.

Runes:
Armor Pen Marks: Your Alpha Strike is going to do good damage unless the enemy team has just crazy MR, I feel like it's more important to just make sure your AA's are still a threat.
MP/5/lvl Seals: A little mana regen goes a long way, Meditate should cover a lot of your defensive needs.
AP/lvl Glyphs: If you're going for Zonya's, it's nice to have some base AP to sweeten that 25% bonus.
HP Quints: No explanation needed

Masteries: 21/0/9--I feel it's absolutely vital to be doing as much damage as possible with this build. You sacrifice the sweet CDR close to the bottom of the Utility tree, but honestly it should be child's play for you to just get Golem, which should be enough.

Spells: Cleanse/Ignite. Ghost is unnecessary if you just wait for Highlander (which you should), but you have to avoid getting ganked whenever it's not. Cleanse will serve that end. Ignite is nice for the mastery and for getting those last few hit points off a fleeing opponent before you have high AP, in time to get Highlander back up.

Skill Order:

QWQEQ, R>Q>W>E. If you find yourself sorely lacking for attack damage when the time comes, switch to R>Q>E>W. You can start putting more points in E after you get 3 in W, if you just prefer--rank 5 W is usually overkill even in teamfights.

Items:

Build 1--Zhonya Rush (For when you need raw firepower, good aganist aggressive pushing teams that are likely to be in range.)

Dring + HPot
Boots 1 + Tome
Mejai's (Now go gank whatever lane looks easiest--you need any kills, not necessarily the high priority targets.)
NHR + Boot Upgrade (rule of thumb: if you don't have enough gold to get both of these upgrades at once, head back out and farm/jungle--the early-game ganks just aren't happening.)
Zonya's
Sheen-->Lichbane

Build 2--DFG Rush (Good against beefy or evasive enemies that you need that extra little 'oomph' to get rolling.)

Meki + HPots
Boots 1 + Codex
Lucky Pick + Boot Upgrade
DFG (rule of thumb: it's good to let Lucky Pick do a little money work for you before you upgrade it. Don't upgrade to DFG until you fail a gank that you would have certainly gotten had you had a DFG, or until you've had it for 6 minutes, which should put you around 100 gold ahead.)
NHR
Zonya's

Build 3--Economy (A general fast-game caster build that gets an aggressive amount of firepower at a low cost, in hopes of rushing the game to a finish. Yi farms so well that he can build like this, then switch to something devastating if it doesn't pan out.)

DRing + HPot
Boots 1 + DRing (Yes, 2 DRings. It gives better stats than a Tome, a Meki, and a Ruby, for 430 less gold. If you end the game fast, what does it matter if you can't build these up?)
BW
Sorc Boots
Voidstaff (Most bang for your buck hands down, and universally useful--no matter what you build after this, you'll be glad you have it. Really makes MR-stacking enemies suffer if you get this before they can get high MR--they end up paying full price for only 60% of the effect, which will lead to them buying more MR because you still do too much damage, which means now they're lacking in firepower, etc.)
NHR-->Zonya's (Game should be over before you get this if you play aggressively enough; once you have this, though, you should be set.)

rotacioskapa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2010

i know that most ppl who thinks ap yi sucks havent even tried yet xD

Leirkov

06-14-2010

^ I raped with him in an arranged before. I was skeptic the first time I heard it, but seriously, go try it. It really works.

rotacioskapa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post

One of Yi's big weak points is his lousy mana-management, so starting with Meki-->DFG or Doran's Ring is a solid choice. That said, he can easily kill golem by himself with a little Meditate, so you don't need to go crazy on this.

Soulstealer is key to Yi because he can get kills so easily, but Yi is generally very likely to die in teamfights unless played very well--I wouldn't reccommend this until you're very familiar with AP Yi, when to use his abilities, etc. Definitely wait to enter teamfights until you see some crowd control thrown around.

Zonya's is an exceptional choice, especially early--this is what makes AP Yi hard to keep down; he can easily farm this monster up, and once he does, any AP items he buys later are far more powerful. AP is already significantly more aggressively priced than AD. Zonya's gives you a nasty trick for when the enemy finally does interrupt your Meditate, or when a charge doesn't pan out how you hoped. The new Needlessly Huge Rod is a very, very nice replacement for the BF Sword AD Yi would be buying. If at all possible, try to pop the activated part of this when there's 2 or less seconds left on AS's cooldown, so you can fire it the second you get out for even more evasion. Alternatively, fire this right before you Meditate--it should make it much easier to get it off without getting stunned/etc. since most people back off when you go invulnerable.

Runes:
Armor Pen Marks: Your Alpha Strike is going to do good damage unless the enemy team has just crazy MR, I feel like it's more important to just make sure your AA's are still a threat.
MP/5/lvl Seals: A little mana regen goes a long way, Meditate should cover a lot of your defensive needs.
AP/lvl Glyphs: If you're going for Zonya's, it's nice to have some base AP to sweeten that 25% bonus.

Masteries: 21/0/9--I feel it's absolutely vital to be doing as much damage as possible with this build. You sacrifice the sweet CDR close to the bottom of the Utility tree, but honestly it should be child's play for you to just get Golem, which should be enough.

Spells: Cleanse/Ignite. Ghost is unnecessary if you just wait for Highlander (which you should), but you have to avoid getting ganked whenever it's not. Cleanse will serve that end. Ignite is nice for the mastery and for getting those last few hit points off a fleeing opponent before you have high AP, in time to get Highlander back up.

Skill Order:

QWQEQ, R>Q>W>E. If you find yourself sorely lacking for attack damage when the time comes, switch to R>Q>E>W. You can start putting more points in E after you get 3 in W, if you just prefer--rank 5 W is usually overkill even in teamfights.

Items:

Build 1--Zhonya Rush (For when you need raw firepower, good aganist aggressive pushing teams that are likely to be in range.)

Dring + HPot
Boots 1 + Tome
Mejai's (Now go gank whatever lane looks easiest--you need any kills, not necessarily the high priority targets.)
NHR + Boot Upgrade (rule of thumb: if you don't have enough gold to get both of these upgrades at once, head back out and farm/jungle--the early-game ganks just aren't happening.)
Zonya's
Sheen-->Lichbane

Build 2--DFG Rush (Good against beefy or evasive enemies that you need that extra little 'oomph' to get rolling.)

Meki + HPots
Boots 1 + Codex
DFG (rule of thumb: it's good to let Lucky Pick do a little money work for you before you upgrade it. Don't upgrade to DFG until you fail a gank that you would have certainly gotten had you had a DFG, or until you've had it for 6 minutes, which should put you around 100 gold ahead.)
NHR
Zonya's

Build 3--Economy (A general fast-game caster build that gets an aggressive amount of firepower at a low cost, in hopes of rushing the game to a finish. Yi farms so well that he can build like this, then switch to something devastating if it doesn't pan out.)

DRing + HPot
Boots 1 + DRing (Yes, 2 DRings. It gives better stats than a Tome, a Meki, and a Ruby, for 430 less gold. If you end the game fast, what does it matter if you can't build these up?)
BW
Sorc Boots
Voidstaff (Most bang for your buck hands down, and universally useful--no matter what you build after this, you'll be glad you have it. Really makes MR-stacking enemies suffer if you get this before they can get high MR--they end up paying full price for only 60% of the effect, which will lead to them buying more MR because you still do too much damage, which means now they're lacking in firepower, etc.)
NHR-->Zonya's (Game should be over before you get this if you play aggressively enough; once you have this, though, you should be set.)
completely different then mine

5HATCOMBO

06-15-2010

I like AP Hybrid Yi because you can still backdoor towers after you farm a gazillion creeps during the midgame. With straight AP Yi if the other team gets fed too hard you're pretty much reliant on your team to nuke someone down to within range so you can highlander>alpha kill>alpha again before highlandering out and meditating or using zhonya's and praying your team aces so you can whack towers.

With hybrid yi, you get all the advantages of meditank and alpha nukes with the backdoor potential of damage yi.

xahhfink6

06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post

Runes:

Skill Order:

Items:

Dring + HPot
Boots 1 + Tome
Zonya's
Sheen-->Lichbane

Meki + HPots
Boots 1 + Codex
NHR
Zonya's

DRing + HPot
BW
Sorc Boots
This. Lots of really solid build and play advice right here... although I like CDR as an option instead of ap/level glyphs, especially because it lets you decide between ap/ad yi AFTER you've seen their team comp... which I feel is important. AP Yi is a great counterpick for certain champs but there are also champs that can easily overrun him and team comps that you will need the higher damage output of AD yi for.

Fiddle

06-21-2010

AP Yi is practically a hard counter to Heimer. I held a solo lane just now and I managed to outfarm Heimer, their mid, and everyone else in the game. The nuke is crazy, but as usual yi isnt that great till mid or later, or if he has a good team.

Nethervoid

06-21-2010

Ah yes AP Yi. Nothing like a super squishy caster with only 1 spell on a 10 second cool down with no cc. Super viable.

Nethervoid

06-21-2010

Quote:
Zonya's is an exceptional choice, especially early
Ah yes, this statement is my favorite. I lol at an EARLY zhonyas.

AP Yi is a horrible build, Yi is more or less a bad champ in general. Doing a 400dmg strike to 1 enemy champ and 3 creeps once every ten seconds is horrible.

Lynxion

06-21-2010

You guys are all baddies. Hotshot played AP Yi and said it was viable. It is, 1000+ Alpha Strikes to everyone in a teamfight, super tank for 6(?) seconds, and Lich bane rapes too. Also, you can still BD with Lich Bane + Wuju + Highlander.

1234567 ... 10