Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[FULL GUIDE] How to install PBE, Step by Step

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TildeMerand

10-13-2011

Summoners!

It seems some people are still having some issues getting the PBE launcher to start patching. There are other guides on how to get this set up, but none seem to be descriptive enough for the generic user to understand.

This is a step by step install guide for League of Legends Public Test Environment (LOLPBE):

Note - PBE is (Or should be) invitation only. If you did not receive an e-mail from Riot to join the PBE, please skip this guide.

1 - Check your e-mails. Riot will send you an E-mail to join the PBE. To Ensure security, check the sender. It should be: [EMAIL="riotgames@email.leagueoflegends.com"]riotgames@email.leagueoflegends.com[/EMAIL] (If the sender is NOT exactly as stated above, delete the e-mail.)

2 - At the bottom of the e-mail there is a large button stating to "CLICK HERE". Please click that large, Red button to continue.

3 - Your internet browser should open up and provide you with the form to sign up for the PBE. Fill out the form with the information it asks for. You may use the same username and password you used for the LIVE version (regular) of League of Legends.

4 - Once this form is filled out, Click the large red button at the bottom of the page labeled "PLAY FOR FREE". On this page, you should see "Download League of Legends" and another large red button with a windows symbol labeled "DOWNLOAD GAME" 'Public Beta Client, Windows'. Click that button and save the file it downloads to your desktop or downloads folder.

5 - Find the file you just downloaded and make sure it's called LOLPBE.zip or just LOLPBE (Windows Vista/7). Right click on this file and select "Extract All..."

6 - A window will appear after you click Extract All... In this window click "Extract". Your computer will now extract the contents of the .zip file you just downloaded. Once it's finished... >

7 - > ...A window will appear with the contents of the file you just extracted. In this folder window you should see 1 folder labeled "RADS" and 2 files with the little LoL icon labeled "lol.launcher.admin" and "lol.launcher". The file we want to double click on is "lol.launcher" (Do not use lol.launcher.admin)

8 - The LoL patcher should now appear and begin downloading the PBE client. (The launcher must download over 1Gb of data. This will take some time depending on the speed of your computer. (Please ensure that the region in the bottom left corner says "PBE". If you see North America or EU West/East, go back to step 5).

9 - Once the patcher finishes, check the PBE Forums for uptime schedules. When the servers come online, the patcher should state that the PBE Region is ONLINE. Click Play and log in with your PBE Account you created in step 3! DO NOT USE YOUR REGULAR LoL LOGIN INFO.

10 - Start some games and test away! Remember to post any bugs you find into the PBE forums in this format: http://http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1203830

I really hope this step by step guide will help you get online and play with the rest of us!

Add me in game for some PBE matches and more support!

Enjoy!

~

Sarg338

10-13-2011

I'd also like to add that you should keep the integrity of the file system (Leave everything in the RADS folder in there. Don't bring it up to the same level as the launchers).

TildeMerand

10-13-2011

Quote:
Sarg338:
I'd also like to add that you should keep the integrity of the file system (Leave everything in the RADS folder in there. Don't bring it up to the same level as the launchers).

Hence why I didn't mention it. I'd like to keep the basic users from touching anything other than what I state in the guide.

Thanks for the addition though! =D +1

EternaLegacy

10-13-2011

this is a good guide easy to read and understand

+1 it should be stickied

Myrkr Lokidottir

10-13-2011

+1

Needs sticky. Also, suggestion: FAQ on the bottom of the OP to troubleshoot problems. (Q: It's continuously patching! Why? A: You need to extract the files in the zip before you try to run it.)

JiYung

10-13-2011

Mine was about 300MB, what did I do wrong?

Sarg338

10-13-2011

Quote:
JiYung:
Mine was about 300MB, what did I do wrong?

Nothing. You are essentially downloading the whole game again (If you look in your RADS folder, it's pretty much empty). This is a separate client with separate folders and files.

Rikukun

10-13-2011

Will it have to patch everytime you open the client? or is there a way to save the patch. There is a window that pops up about archiving something when I run the client, but when I tried saying yes, i would get errors in a new window. So, I just closed the window. Should I have clicked yes and ignored the errors or done something different entirely?

Thanks!

JiYung

10-13-2011

Quote:
Sarg338:
Nothing. You are essentially downloading the whole game again (If you look in your RADS folder, it's pretty much empty). This is a separate client with separate folders and files.

the whole PBE folder is 1,52 GB. good?

Sarg338

10-13-2011

Quote:
JiYung:
the whole PBE folder is 1,52 GB. good?

Perfect.