Lich Bane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keeperofstars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2011

Idea is you can get 140 ap, vs 80 for same cost, most AP caster champions have slow auto attacks, and even slower projectiles. This also means your in auto attack range which for most ap casters is pretty small as well.

In regards to deathsfire, you get cooldown, mana regen, and with 400 ap, close to 45% of their current life instantly gone. Use it as an open attack and things get bad for a single target. Yes its Magic based but hit that carry with it followed up with a CC move and the carry is dead.
2000 hp average - 45% = 900 damage. Granted its on a 60 second cooldown, but it's always up in 90% of all fights.
Yes you could get 2 auto lich attacks off for 800 damage, but that means your using ability, auto attacking, using ability, auto attacking.

As other pointed out on some champions it's very worth it, on most though its only so so at best.

Quib

10-14-2011

If the game goes long nough, I tend to build Lich Bane as a last (or second to last) item on my AP Gragas. It really helps beat down those towers and inhibitors and steamroll to a win.

michlepauvre

10-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun View Post
It synergizes extremely well with Lux's passive, which makes it one of her core items.
I wouldn't recommend it at all as a core item. Lux is all about long range casting and staying behind her teamnates. You really need to know what you're doing if you want to use the most of LB.

Effective yes, her passive allow great damage. However it demands to stay closer to the enemy which is not good. I'd say more situational than core.

areid2

10-16-2011

Deathfire damage is almost always halved though so its not as good as people think. Plus it works off max health so you have to use it first before you start the fight which is risky.

Skilltestingman

10-16-2011

Only champs I know best for lichbane are: akali, kass, ryze, eve, leblanc, lux, gragus and AP amumu + Alistar

Ambrotos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-16-2011

Lichbane is great on Sion. (haven't seen him mentioned yet) Especially if you have his ult up, that's a large heal on yourself and a boost of health to teammates.

Kiyome

10-16-2011

Lichbane is good, but the problem has been said a few times in the thread. It's expensive and few champions make use of autoattacks naturally. Then there's also the proc battery that you need. Spammy low cd champs like Ez, Eve, Nidalee, Jax, Akali who generate a proc every cd and autoattack anyway, it's only beneficial. Champions who don't just.. don't. Brand, Annie, Karthus, Anivia. All of them stack AP but lack the drawn out spam or low cds to fuel getting a charge up once every 2-3 seconds (Forget which one) or have such a terrible auto attack that it's not mana or time efficient to use it.

Ephemis

10-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlepauvre View Post
I wouldn't recommend it at all as a core item. Lux is all about long range casting and staying behind her teamnates. You really need to know what you're doing if you want to use the most of LB.

Effective yes, her passive allow great damage. However it demands to stay closer to the enemy which is not good. I'd say more situational than core.
This. Lux wants no part of being close to an enemy, and definitely not at the point in the game you'd buy a lichbane. It can be a good defensive item, help her secure kills, and it can really wreck towers. It's still so much better to buy another item. I never paid much attention to the cost of it, but being almost the price of a deathcap? Wow, that's an amusing way to highlight why ap casters should never touch it.

Then again, I have been known to buy hourglass, which is very similar. I should stop that. :P

CryinOnionKnight

10-26-2011

You take lichbane if the champion has low cooldowns and a good auto attack. Kassadin, akali and twisted fate use it really, really well. But you need a lot of AP to really make the lichbane an exceptional item, so most people who get it would get it after a deathcap to maximize its efficiency. Shushei runs it on graggas, and westrice on akali, so you can't say high elo doesn't run it. But its not like the deathcap in that its not for every champ

Anonymosity

10-28-2011

Can't believe no one mentioned Cho'gath... though I usually use AP Cho in TT only, I have seen good things with this champion and lich bane. Depending on the champions in the game on both teams, I actually get it as my first big item after boots. The movement speed is nice for landing that feast and once you have some AP built, by just spacing out your knock up/silence/feast combo you no longer have to worry about having an AD carry shred your face while your attacks suck or you can't run.

Plus, Cho has to be close to people to truly nuke them with feast, anyway. Add a Rylais to the mix and flash -> feast, attack, silence, attack, rupture, attack... anything short of a MR tank is dead.