Personal Score - A Detriment to Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragels

10-13-2011

Personal score has already become much worse than K/D in SR, as far as the amount of stupid, irrelivant ****talking goes.

It's a totally arbitrary number that at the end of the game means absolutely nothing. It has nothing to do with how well you played, since most of your score comes from capping points, which has nothing to do with how much you helped in actually making the point cappable. I can be the deciding factor in the fight for the point, then leave to go defend another point since someone else is capping that one, and get no where near as many points as the people that stayed and capped. Defending points and roaming also gets no where near as many points as simply capping. All of this means that someone who doesn't actually do anything the entire game can end up in the top three by simply showing up and clicking a point.

Why does this matter? Because when people realize this, they want to cap more points to raise their score. This is generally a bad thing, because it means people are going to be attacking the enemies base points when they already have three capped. This is bad because it generally just leads to dissarray and can help the enemy team get back into the game. They will just cap one of your points back, then take their base point back with respawning people, then they're the one with the lead.

At the end of the day, personal score is simply detrimental to Dominion gameplay and should be removed. It's the source of a lot of bad play and people talking **** to their own team.

Zavy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2011

Just nitpicking... it's not an arbitrary number. Arbitrary would be if there was no contributing factor(s) and it was just some whatever number at the end.

However, I wholly agre with the idea of this post. I've won plenty of games one of the bottom two because the rest of the team refused to defend so I was stuck tower hopping to defend.

GammaEspeon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2011

Needs less weight on caps and more on defending, though a variance in the weight would work too.

Extremely tweakable idea to help deal with this.

Attacking a point (neut/cap)
- Any caps before the five minute mark, current value (40/40)
- Have 0 (Enemy 5), 100% more (80/80)
- Have 1 (Enemy 4), 50% more (60/60)
- Have 2, Current score (40/40)
- Have 3 (Enemy team 4-5 people alive), 25% score (10/10)
- Have 3 (Enemy team < 4 alive), 50% score (20/20, taking advantage of the weakened enemy should have a better reward)
- Have 3 (Enemy team all dead), 100% score (40/40)
- Have 4 (Enemy team >3 alive), 5% score (2/2)
- Have 4 (Enemy team 1-3), 25% score (10/10)
- Have 4 (Enemy all dead), 100% score (40/40)
- When capturing a point, you gain an amount of points based on how long you channelled on the point (Starting when the point is half captured at a 40 point value gets you 20 points)
- Breaking off of a capture and leaving the point but the point is still taken gives an amount of points proportional to % of capture performed (Capping a point to 60% and breaking off when the value is 40 gets you 24 points)
- If you participated in capturing a point but break off and remain near the point, you are counted as having participated in the capture for the full duration. If you die but the point is still captured after, you get a point bonus (Let's say, Capture Martyr, +15 points) as well.
- When capturing an enemy base point alone, if you die within 5 seconds of the capture, you are not entitled to the Martyr bonus.

The enemy team alive count is basically to deter people from blindly running at an enemy base point for that 4th or 5th cap when the enemy team is mostly alive. The fewer alive, the better the opportunity to take a point and it comes with a better reward.

Defending (Ticks are the current time between point gains, I think 10-15 seconds but could be wrong)
- Have 0, get out of fountain, it can defend itself.
- Have 1, 1 point per tick
- Have 2, 5 points per tick (Current value)
- Have 3, 15 points per tick (300% current, people will more likely sit on a point if they're concerned about score since every tick effectively gives them a kill's worth of points)
- Have 4, 20 points per tick if on enemy's base points, 5 points otherwise
- Have 5, 25 points per tick if on enemy's base points, 5 points per tick otherwise
- Breaking an enemy's capture (Either by disrupting it or being near and they split off), 10 points
- Defending a point gives 20% more points per enemy champion within X range of the point (A 5 point defend would be +1 for each enemy champ, while a 15 point defend would be +3 each)
- Defending a point with more than one other person splits the point cost evenly among all on the point (2 defending top when 3 are held gives both 15 points, but a third brings it down to 5 for each; 4 defending the only owned point gives each 0.25 points or 0 points depending on if partial points would be tracked). The split is negated if an enemy champion is near the point
- Taking back a point that is neutralized or taken while defending (Within 10-15 seconds of loss of point) is only worth half the value for the capture.

I have this set to be (intended at least) for holding 3 to be the optimal choice for points since holding onto an enemy base point is considerably more difficult than other points. However, if you CAN hold them, more power to you and enjoy a greater reward.

Kills can have their same current value.
Speed Boosts can have the same current value.

Killing minions gives 1 point each, 2 for a super minion and 3 for a promoted super minion.

Health Packs
Taking a health pack when at full hp should not reward any points (unless an enemy is within X range of it, in which case it's worth double, 4 points) If an ally with < 50% HP is nearby (same range), no bonus and should also probably be a negative value for denying your own team supplies.

This is entirely up in the air as far as values go, they're just rough ideas to get started. I feel that promoting smarter play through the scoring system would really get into the mindset on how to actually win a game rather than the "chicken with its head cut off" scenario many people are oh too used to seeing.

Edit: Added some more ideas to the list.

PriorityOne

10-13-2011

I'm not a big fan of a lot of these proposed changes to the score system.

Right now, the score system rewards running around the map, capturing points, and killing people. Essentially it rewards the elements in the game that make it fun. A lot of the proposed changes I read make it more rewarding to sit on a tower waiting for enemies to come. That is probably the least fun thing you can be doing in Dominion.

Instead of changing the score to make sitting on 3 towers and twiddling your thumbs more rewarding, Riot needs to make the reward for capturing more than 3 worth the risk so that the excitement doesn't slow down once you get 3.

GammaEspeon

10-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriorityOne View Post
I'm not a big fan of a lot of these proposed changes to the score system.

Right now, the score system rewards running around the map, capturing points, and killing people. Essentially it rewards the elements in the game that make it fun. A lot of the proposed changes I read make it more rewarding to sit on a tower waiting for enemies to come. That is probably the least fun thing you can be doing in Dominion.

Instead of changing the score to make sitting on 3 towers and twiddling your thumbs more rewarding, Riot needs to make the reward for capturing more than 3 worth the risk so that the excitement doesn't slow down once you get 3.
I agree, the game rewards you for having fun, and that's great. The only problem is, those actions are not necessarily fun to everybody. I like defending, I have tons of fun doing it. What I don't have tons of fun about it though is when people compare my score and claim I'm being useless to the team by holding a point on lock down from the opponent, using it as a means of harassment. Personally, I'd rather the entire scoring system be thrown out, my idea above was simply a compromise to equalize the scoring between offense and defense, and it's entirely adjustable, just a concept.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is, if the score system is designed to reward fun play, why is my idea of fun play, holding a point, worth less than someone else's idea of fun play, attacking and pushing back an opponent? Both are necessary to succeeding in the game, why are they valued so far apart?

Again, I think things would be best if the scores were just omitted entirely, maybe just listing Kills/Assists/Caps/Neuts/Defends.

Nekrogen

10-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaEspeon View Post

Defending (Ticks are the current time between point gains, I think 10-15 seconds but could be wrong)
- Have 0, get out of fountain, it can defend itself.
- Have 1, 1 point per tick
- Have 2, 5 points per tick (Current value)
- Have 3, 15 points per tick (300% current, people will more likely sit on a point if they're concerned about score since every tick effectively gives them a kill's worth of points)
- Have 4, 20 points per tick if on enemy's base points, 5 points otherwise
- Have 5, 25 points per tick if on enemy's base points, 5 points per tick otherwise

I have this set to be (intended at least) for holding 3 to be the optimal choice for points since holding onto an enemy base point is considerably more difficult than other points. However, if you CAN hold them, more power to you and enjoy a greater reward.
Nice ideas in here but I have a question. What would happen if you can defend their base points when you only have 3 points? still only 15 per tick?

As it stands, it is actually really easy for me to hold their base point bottom assuming their whole team doesnt come crashing down on me (in which case, free top point lol).

GammaEspeon

10-13-2011

Point was more to take and hold three, doesn't matter which. However, when having more than three, it's guaranteed you have at least one of their base points. As stated, things are tweakable, nothing in it is concrete, it's just a thought.

EricTheBarbaric

10-13-2011

I made this thread a few days ago, kinda gave up on it but seeing as you seem to have some ideas flowing, here's a suggestion thread for the score system: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post15639595

And here's my two cents.

No one likes to play this game in the same way. Saying that, I have always felt that the scoring system reflects the way Riot likes to play. By this, I mean they expected Dominion to be exactly what they said it would be: an action packed, fast paced slaughter-fest. If everyone was running around, capping nodes, and getting into small fights constantly (and I mean everyone on the team), then an action packed, fast paced slaughter-fest is what Dominion would be. The reason I say this is the way Riot intended us to play is because that is the most rewarding play style according to the score system.

However, as a player base, we have discovered that, rather than playing chaotically as I described, winning is easier to do if some players just defend a node, while others do the capping and the killing. I don't think Riot expected this split between aggressive and defensive gameplay (hence why defensive gameplay is almost not rewarded whatsoever). As said above, some people (and probably Riot) think it is boring to have to just defend a node. Saying that, it is not hard to see why defending is not rewarded, it is just not the play style that was expected.

Anyhow, although I think the scoring system is fundamentally flawed (see my other thread about how to troll and get points lol: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1341113), I greatly enjoy the idea of being able to see my contribution to the team. We should not get rid of it completely. When (or if) Riot fixes this score system to accurately reflect the contribution of the individual player (both aggressors and defenders, because they are equally important), I will be happy.

NightPigeon

10-13-2011

changing the score system again is stupid

if you don't like how the score system is now just go back to your SR or TT coz right now dominion is great

Wolfalisk

10-13-2011

While I agree, it does need some changing to reflect contributions that currently are not reflected in the overall score, the thing that must be remembered is that the team with the highest scores is more often than not winning the game.

By extension score is a reasonably accurate reflection of personal contribution. Albeit flawed in several ways, but you will seldom see the lower scoring team win.