If you're a tank...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melvear

10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basist View Post
Any smart team will just ignore the person holding that point, and just 3/4 man push one point and clear it out. Full tank sure is threatening....
So what you're saying is, they will commit 60-80% of their manpower to push you out? Sounds pretty good to me.

RavenGlenn

10-12-2011

Quote:
Any smart team will just ignore the person holding that point, and just 3/4 man push one point and clear it out. Full tank sure is threatening....
And what does the rest of your team do during this? Do they simply cease to exist?

DestroyerofCakes

10-12-2011

Quote:
Yes any smart team would just 3/4 to push one point.... however that just means the tank did his job.

DrDooma

10-12-2011

We seem to be getting down to the base strategy of Dominion now more than tank or no tank. If you can coordinate a 4-5 man push on a point then they better have 4-5 champions there to stop you. Any character who builds full tank besides galio, amumu, or rammus is bad anyways. There is no reason to build full tank on any other character for whatever reason. None. There are plenty of off tank items. You would be hard pressed to build "only survivability". I cant even think of six good items that all provide ONLY survivability. Example If you are garen going tank you can get a warmogs and an atmas, add in a banshees, and ouch that is one hard hitting tank.

DonCortez

10-12-2011

I've only seen him played a couple times in dominion but malphite's ground slam scales with armor. Soooooooo ya.

Jeepers Creepers

10-12-2011

I play alistar with cdr boots/frozenheart (adds cdr to cap it at 40% with my masteries and armor for those pesky melee) then an mr item if an annoying mage or thornmail. After that some ap items like perhaps rylais or roa that adds hp+ap.

Epiphanyinc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

A full tank amumu cant do **** compared to a AP tanky amumu, I was so mad someone took my little mumu and built full tank, I mean once your defenses pass 200 it kinda gets redundant, he'd try to solo 2 people doing no damage at all and lost our bottom turret quite often, you can build tanky dps or tanky ap and be more use because the enemy will ignore the **** out of you kill everyone who CAN do damage then finish you off

Deliani

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basist
Well, I should've expected a smartass on the first response but didn't. I figured everyone was not stupid to realize Rammus should've gone without saying, but ok.
Quote:
Rammus should've gone without saying, but ok
Quote:
Rammus saying ok
Quote:
ok
ok

Melvear

10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDooma View Post
We seem to be getting down to the base strategy of Dominion now more than tank or no tank. If you can coordinate a 4-5 man push on a point then they better have 4-5 champions there to stop you.
I believe what you meant was if you mount a 4-5 man push, you better hope the other team is dead or stupid, otherwise they'll cap at least 2 other points while you grab bot.

Dominion is not meant to have large team fights, short of the windmill 4v4 at the beginning and maybe a final push if you're behind at the end, or something similar. You need to have people at many places at once.

GwynApNudd

10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDooma View Post
We seem to be getting down to the base strategy of Dominion now more than tank or no tank. If you can coordinate a 4-5 man push on a point then they better have 4-5 champions there to stop you. Any character who builds full tank besides galio, amumu, or rammus is bad anyways. There is no reason to build full tank on any other character for whatever reason. None. There are plenty of off tank items. You would be hard pressed to build "only survivability". I cant even think of six good items that all provide ONLY survivability. Example If you are garen going tank you can get a warmogs and an atmas, add in a banshees, and ouch that is one hard hitting tank.
6 is easy, and you only really need 5 and boots to make the point

1) Force of Nature
2) Frozen Heart
3) Randuin's Omen
4) Sunfire Cape (unless you want to argue about the 35 magic damage per second)
5) Odyn's Veil
6) Warmogs
7) Thornmail
8) Aegis of the Legion
9) Mercury Treads
10) Ninja Tabli (viable in a game mode that favors AD)

I'll grant you, I do think some damage can be mixed in, because the normal barrier to mixing in the items that give enhanced survivability to Mages is that they are very expensive for their survival stats, so you end up with subpar survivability. With all the free gold, that is less of an issue. However, a tank can easily sit under a turret and stop people from capping for quite some time, he doesn't need to do a lot of damage, any will suffice. The tankier he is, the longer he can pull this off waiting for reinforcements.

Unlike tanking a team fight in SR, you don't need to be threatening to effectively defend a turret, just long lived and disruptive.

You're not wrong, but I believe you are overstating your conclusions.