Difference Between Runeterra & Valoran

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Troy L Jenkins

10-11-2011

I get the IMPRESSION "valoran" is a contient and runeterra is the name of the whole planet, but the terms get used interchangeably at least in the few things I've read.

Whats the difference? Almost every time they tend to mix & match the terms as if they are the same.

Also what is a "rune" as in "runewar" ? I mean i know what a rune as in, real life, but that does the lore mean it to be?

Mädchen

10-11-2011

Valoran is a continent, like Lokfar.

Runeterra is the planet.

Runewars are wars fought with runes.

Are we done here?

Tristan Trades

10-11-2011

But the runewars where only fought on Valoran... but they destroyed almost whole of Runeterra... then what if they have a runewar on an other continent? BOOM! Goodbye world?

Zwingley

10-11-2011

I think we're supposed to assume summoning magic is unique to Valoran, for the moment. So essentially, a rune war -can't- be fought on Lok'far, because their magic isn't powerful enough (as far as we know.)

Mädchen

10-11-2011

Lok'Far, as far as we know, is the Freljords 2.0. They're angry barbarians, with guys like Olaf standing as some of the tougher examples, him being a raider captain. There has been nary a whisper of spells being used in Lok'Far, so wit hthe knowledge at hand, we can probably assume that Valoran is the only one with the goods, as far as magic goes.

As far as blowing up all of Runeterra, I imagine it's less "great big bang" as "hey ,we're destabilizing Runeterra by imbalancing the magic which runs the planet. We may or may not implode." as being more of the M-O. At least as far as how a war localized to a continent could destabilize the planet in any meaningful way.

Troy L Jenkins

10-11-2011

Thanks for trying to explain... and for the mild insult, reminds me that I'm in the LoL community. (Been gaming for 30+ years, online there is always jerks, but LoL seems to have them in spades for some reason, even more than FPS games, which is a feat) Great game so far (im pretty new) but the insulting children are legion, if i have to quit it will be due to being tired of this already (and i typeically have a pretty thick skin.)

So even though generally it seems 90% of the lore is focused on Valoran and its constantly being referenced in way that sounds like its "the whole place" its really just a contient, among other, not particularly well known other continents.

Still dont know what a rune is from the above, sort of skipped over that and went right into talk about what a runewar is, without really drawing a distiction between runes (some type of magic i assume) and "other non rune stuff" (whatever a rune is).

Frequently

10-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwingley View Post
I think we're supposed to assume summoning magic is unique to Valoran, for the moment. So essentially, a rune war -can't- be fought on Lok'far, because their magic isn't powerful enough (as far as we know.)
Tell that to Brand >>