[ITEM IDEA] Spiritlooms

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

10-30-2011

I was getting a lot of complaints about how OP it was, just @ 10%. I only put it that low to satisfy the public. I'll boost it up to 7.5%, maybe. Does that make it a bit better?

Dialupman

10-30-2011

Tho the concept is unique, I have several problems with the item. I apologize in advance, but I will give you a very critical review.

For starters, it has a random component that effects players. With the exception of critical chance, Riot has been fundamentally against random components that directly effect players since their inception. I need a far more reassurance than trusting my life to luck. I would completely remove the random component and change the ability to something more consistent.

Second, as many people mentioned, your item progression makes no sense. You've changed it so many times, I have a hard time understanding your reviews to figure out what the original items were. With your current items of Wit's End and Madreds Razor, which are tier two items, you change up too many of the stats. With your current set of stats, Wit's End and Hexdrinker would fit the recipe much better. The resulting item would have extraordinary magic resist while providing enough offensive stats to warrant any auto attacking champions to purchase it. However, these two items are both excellent early/mid game items that trail off at the end game, where you are forced to sell them for better items. If an upgrade path were to be given to them, these items would become far more common, almost standard, as an excellent early/mid game item could be strengthened into late game without worry of the gold lost when sold. The item would need redone if you choose to follow this path.

Third, your active ability, which before I go into, you forgot to add a cooldown to it. To reach max stacks, you would have to hit something 14 times. However, starting at only 3 seconds, which is not much time at all, you would need to hit at least 2 times per second just to break even. The amounts you add for activating and the amounts you add for stacking are broken in more than one way. 40% movement speed will give any champion between 120 and 132ms without boots, runes, or masteries, which is almost as good or better than boots 5. Stacking it is almost pointless since you already gain 80% attack speed from the item and activation, but the attack damage doesn't stack fast enough to be noticed. However, the doubling of its passive magic damage, I do like. I would modify this active to be both easy to use and rewarding to stack.

Lastly, I dislike the combination of stats. It's very hard to counter this item effectively and its too easy to choose this item over many others as the best choice. It provides both physical damage and magical damage while increasing the rate at which both are applied. Not only that, it has great utility in defending against magic damage and increasing your movement speed to chase or flee. This combination of stats need to be toned down, altered, or removed so it has a good place among the items while not overshadowing the current items to the point it becomes a replacement.. Trinity Force is a good example of an item that does way too much, but does so in balance.

All told, your item is in poor shape. It's stats morph from one type to the next while providing a difficult to counter, but underwhelming base statistics and trying to make up for it with a difficult to use active component that goes way over the top while forcing its users to scrape for peanuts. It won't be fun to play with and it wont be fun to play against, therefore will not be purchased.

Again, I am terribly sorry if this post has hurt your feelings, as this was not my intention. I seemed to get meaner as the post grew in length, which I'm not happy about, but I felt it was necessary to give you an honest opinion of your item. I do hope you continue to tweak it until you and the community are happy with the results. However, I'd like to give you an example of what I would do if I were to add Wit's End and Hexdrinker.

Wit's End (2000g) + Hexdrinker (1800g) + (620g) = Item (4420g)
45AD
40%AS
52MR
Unique Passive: 55 Magic Damage
Unique Active: For 6 seconds, you gain 35MR and absorb 350 magic damage. For each physical attack, you gain an additional 10MR (Max 4 stacks). 180 second cooldown.

Good luck!

Jaykoboy

11-03-2011

Oh, no, you didn't hurt my feelings at all. I like it when people are brutal towards me. It helps me to do better on my creation. (One of my champs hasn't gotten a comment in a week, and it's driving me nuts.)

I like your new idea...but it sounds a bit expensive. I personally wouldn't want to pay more than a Tri-Force for something with signifigantly less stats. I mean, it's still powerful, but Tri-Force gives you a very thurough balance. Maybe we could use some other MR item, one less expensive (Although I do agree--it would be good to give those two items something to stack into.)

Wit's End is still in there. Maybe something like Quicksilver Sash. Although that would still be expensive...maybe a tier 1 item would work, like Negatron Cloak. Switch in that stat for Hexdrinker, you'd get something more like this:

Wit's End (2000g) + Negatron Cloak (740g) + (660g) = Spiritlooms (3400g)

Signifigantly cheaper, although we'd still have to work out some of the stats, due to there no longer being any random strike feature from Madred's. (Yeah, you're right, that's a weak point. I was just wondering why no items did it.) With some work, we could get something really awesome out of this.

Dialupman

11-04-2011

The reason why that item is freakishly more expensive that other items, in my opinion, is twofold.

This item is primarily an offensive item with a very powerful clutch defensive bonus. With base MR and this item, using the active will absorb nearly 800 magic damage, 900 with full stacks, and that's not counting any additional MR that the champion aquires. Its made to be a defensive choice against mages for champions who have an AD/AS synergy, but attempting to prevent it from being purchased every game regardless of situation.

Secondly, both components, as stated in my previous post, are very strong mid game items in their own rite. To have something that they can combine into is ludicrous enough that you shouldn't be able to have an amazing early/mid game by rushing these, then dominate late game because of this item. Also, you are free to use the active whenever you want, which is far more powerful than only being able to use it when your almost dead.

To be honest, I don't think an item like the one I posted would ever be implemented. In the right hands, this item is a game changer. Put just this on champions like Jax, Olaf, Riven, Shyvana, Udyr, or Xin Zhao, then watch them destroy any champion who mainly deals magic damage in the match until they snowball to victory. It will be Tanky DPS all over again.

I'm a big fan of making original Tier 2 items using existing Tier 1 items to create the perfect item you need for what your looking for. Perhaps if Wit's end or Madred's Razor do not provide the stats you need in your item, you should make a new Tier 2 and have it upgrade to a Tier 3 using another Tier 1 or 2. There's a decent amount of variety in existing Tier 1 and low grade Tier 2 items to make it possible.

Jaykoboy

11-04-2011

Yeah, you see that your thing can't work. It's a good idea, but not perfect. Plus, the original design was more aggressive based; shred through tanks who have low MR, then turn on the active and raze your way through the squishies in the back. It's mainly anti-champion attack speed/attack damage, with the MR being there just because I got a few complaints about it.

Although I like your idea of using the original Hexdrinker passive as an active instead, it doesn't really fit into the original design of the item. Which, now that I think about it, would be best for an assassin item. Observe: Talon buys 'Original' Spiritlooms. He's walking through the jungle, getting ready to gank, when he sees a struggling enemy Warwick trying to tear unsuccessfully through a Golem to get that all-important Blue Buff. So he decides to make his move.

He notices Warwick has his Banshee's Veil up, and unfortunately, it's not the Harrowing, so there's no Urf around to pop it. So jumping in for a quick kill with his W (Or E...I'm not so sure) is out of the question. So, he pops on the active for Spiritlooms and rushes in, his damage, attack speed, and movment speed greatly increased.

He moves so quick that Warwick doesn't notice him until the first hit. Then, Talon starts stacking from on-hit effects. Warwick turns to fight him, but to no avail. Talon's gotten too many stacks, and has amazing attack speed and damage. Futilely, Warwick tries to run away, but to no avail. Even Flash doesn't get him away. And Talon, who used his Q (Noxian Diplomacy) in the fight to pop his spell shield, uses his W/E (Still not sure which one's which) to pop right over to the crippled Warwick. By then, the stacks have fallen off, but it doesn't matter. He can finish him off easy. He uses Rake to deal another tapload of damage and slow Warwick to a crawl. And then...

Another jungler is silenced.

This all took place in just a few seconds. And, afterwards, Talon can just strut over to teh weakened Golem and pick up its buff easily. Now, nothing stands in his way. See? With yours, it would work well, but not in quite the same way. Observe:

It's the same scenario as before, but this time, Talon is popped just below half health by a wolf bite. Warwick senses him easily, rushing over in the nick of an eye to feast upon the weakened soul. Talon (Who is luckily playing just a room away) hears the other summoner snickering malevolently. He knows that laugh...he's about to use his Ultimate Move. Quickly, he pops on the Active. A spell shield moves in without a moment's notice, and the Ultimate is utterly nullified, doing nothing but restraining Talon for a moment. Talon sneaks in a few attacks into Warwick, using his fully stacked Bloodthirster to get him above half health. This removes Warwick's bloodlust buff.

This also gives him some magic resistance, which causes Warwick's Hungering Strike to do abo****ely nothing. Talon, using a quick Rake, slows down Warwick enough so that he can get a safe distance away so his Boots of Mobility kick in. He easily outruns the beast, leaving him to Master Yi, who, with full health, noticed his plight and decided to help out. But although he sees no Talon, he sees a very weakened Warwick from the brush. With a quick heavily-boosted by AP Alpha Strike, Yi one-hits the creature, leaving a corpse in the forest with no warning.

See? It enables Talon to get away, but nothing much else. My design works slightly better, I think.