Olaf worth buying? - 3150 IP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gorchek

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPandaBear View Post
Wanna let us know why? I haven't played him yet. Nor have I seen him in game at all lol. Maybe once.
Rank 5 Vicious Strikes gives him only 10.5 damage from Frozen Mallet! It's a huge gold sink that gimps your early-game damage significantly, leaving you with no kills, and no minion kills, weakening his late game as well.

Furthermore, one Frozen Mallet doesn't make him a tank, you need other tank items, and at that point, just play Shen instead.

FM gimps his damage because it is so expensive and only gives him 30, plus a slow that isn't even necessary. Tristanas, Teemos, and Twitches like red buff, but they don't go out and buy a Mallet if they don't get one. It's a waste of gold and stats on a ranged carry, and it applies similarly on Olaf.

Some good items on him are:

Youmu's Ghostblade (gives him a mini-ghost. Olaf relies way too much on ghost to get kills, so this is a great item. Plus it gives like every DPS stat, combined with him getting nearly every DPS stat from his skills except crit, makes for a well-rounded item)

Infinity Edge/Bloodthirster (get if you have 1850 or more gold when you first recall, otherwise maybe skip)

Stark's Fervor (Great for a several-dps team and a good item on him overall)

Tiamat (Hey, don't knock laning with a Beads + Charm, and after that Tiamat is just pure damage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musokage View Post
Because while Olaf's W does synergize decently with HP items, it doesn't synergize well enough to justify taking Frozen Mallet over say a Bloodthirster, which plays to his real strengths, absurd damage and lifesteal.

I'm not saying Frozen Mallet is bad, just not optimal.

When I play Olaf I use this build-

Doran's Shield + Health Pot
Boots of Swiftness/Merc Treads (Try and get BoS if you can get away with it, Ragnarok gives you leeway against everything except the most CC stacked teams)
Infinity Edge
Stark's
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Banshee's (Or another Bloodthirster if you can get away with it, lulz)

Have fun not dying, and enjoy the pentakills.
Pretty much sums it up, pure damage is probably the best thing to go for on Olaf. I haven't yet tried building insane amounts of damage + lifesteal, but I have acknowledged the idea.

The closest I got was a hilarious game versus four casters, where I bought Tiamat, Tiamat, Force of Nature, Starks Fervor, Merc Treads, and a Spirit Visage. I had about 120hp5 from items, it was absolutely bonkers.

JackAubrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musokage View Post
Olaf is more than an auto-attacker, and vikings are always fun. His main selling point for me? True damage. 300+ Unmitigatable damage on a three second CD... delicious.
He's got more True damage than just his E; with 3 ranks in Ult, Stark's, and ghostblade, you're at 75 armor pen already. Add in masteries / runes, and unless they're stacking armor you'll be doing full damage to them lol.

Musokage

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
He's got more True damage than just his E; with 3 ranks in Ult, Stark's, and ghostblade, you're at 75 armor pen already. Add in masteries / runes, and unless they're stacking armor you'll be doing full damage to them lol.
Oh I know, against anyone except Rammus their mitigation is typically zero.

Also YES to Ghostblade, and oddly enough Phantom Dancer is worth considering late against physical heavy teams.

Najster

06-11-2010

I bought him recently to be one of my TT mains... he is, ok. I regret not saving my IP for one of the 6300 (ezreal, nerf and all, is still awesome).

I think Olaf Still outshined by Poppy/Mundo/Jax, who have the damage, survivability and CC advantages (Olaf's Q is good early game, not too good end game and is a mana drain).

Proph3tX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najster View Post
I bought him recently to be one of my TT mains... he is, ok. I regret not saving my IP for one of the 6300 (ezreal, nerf and all, is still awesome).

I think Olaf Still outshined by Poppy/Mundo/Jax, who have the damage, survivability and CC advantages (Olaf's Q is good early game, not too good end game and is a mana drain).
Actually I would say the opposite, Olaf's Q is pretty **** early game because its damage is pretty fail (unless you rank it up early lol..) and the slow is terrible unless you rank it up early.

And ranking up Q over E first is just a bad idea imo.

Phage with E face smashing ftw.

Ghettobarney

06-11-2010

stacking sunfires has actually been working fairly well for me. Anyways if you like melee DPS then you'll like olaf, he's pretty fun.