Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Olaf worth buying? - 3150 IP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shruum

06-11-2010

He relies on a good team IMO. And like the guy a few posts above said, don't get mallet. Going for HP makes him too skill reliant.

Spazzilla X

06-11-2010

hes awesome, imo. tons of fun. buy him.

Musokage

06-11-2010

Quote:
FatPandaBear:
Wanna let us know why? I haven't played him yet. Nor have I seen him in game at all lol. Maybe once.

Because while Olaf's W does synergize decently with HP items, it doesn't synergize well enough to justify taking Frozen Mallet over say a Bloodthirster, which plays to his real strengths, absurd damage and lifesteal.

I'm not saying Frozen Mallet is bad, just not optimal.

When I play Olaf I use this build-

Doran's Shield + Health Pot
Boots of Swiftness/Merc Treads (Try and get BoS if you can get away with it, Ragnarok gives you leeway against everything except the most CC stacked teams)
Infinity Edge
Stark's
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Banshee's (Or another Bloodthirster if you can get away with it, lulz)

Have fun not dying, and enjoy the pentakills.

JackAubrey

06-11-2010

Quote:
MikeTyson:
bought olaf on a whim and i wish i got mundo instead. olaf isnt bad... its just that mundo is better

Mundo's 1350, it's not like you need to save up 6k for him.

Spazzilla X

06-11-2010

to add to your post Musokage

Ive found warmogs to be actually quite good on him.
As well as those items.

Absolute Omni

06-11-2010

Quote:
Musokage:
Because while Olaf's W does synergize decently with HP items, it doesn't synergize well enough to justify taking Frozen Mallet over say a Bloodthirster, which plays to his real strengths, absurd damage and lifesteal.

I'm not saying Frozen Mallet is bad, just not optimal.

When I play Olaf I use this build-

Doran's Shield + Health Pot
Boots of Swiftness/Merc Treads (Try and get BoS if you can get away with it, Ragnarok gives you leeway against everything except the most CC stacked teams)
Infinity Edge
Stark's
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster
Banshee's (Or another Bloodthirster if you can get away with it, lulz)

Have fun not dying, and enjoy the pentakills.

Problem with that item build is that you end up at around 2k hp in a normal game, and for a melee dps without any real survivability tool, that's amazingly poor.

I go with
Dorans
Boots
Phage
ninja / mercs
Zeal (essensial movement speed and the crit chance is amazing with his W)
Frozen
Brutalizer > Ghostblade
Starks
Sell dorans for IE
Zeal into Dancer, or BT.

Without mallet you wont ever really kill anyone without em being bad, as you have no way of chasing, as his Q is more or less useless.

OP: Olaf aint THAT fun, he's just another autoattacker, can't understand why everyone hypes em so much, stick to a caster imo, or if you really want an autoattacker for Jax for melee.

Verche

06-11-2010

You can do OK without frozen mallet but then you are very dependant on your Q ability when instead you could use your Q to get close to the target then keep them close with mallet.

The recommended builds here are nice and would work well for him. Personally I like to give him some HP and AD/AS items and laugh at teams when I keep myself alive for a fair amount of time using my W skill. Then you can pop your ult when you get too low and ghost on out of there.

Kriminalx

Recruiter

06-11-2010

no

JackAubrey

06-11-2010

Quote:
Absolute Omni:
Problem with that item build is that you end up at around 2k hp in a normal game, and for a melee dps without any real survivability tool, that's amazingly poor.

While I wouldn't agree with stacking so many bloodthirsters, much of Olaf's survivability comes from his lifesteal, which in teamfights is uninterruptable. With a buffer of hit points, he can keep himself alive for at least as long as his ult is up as long as he keeps attacking.

A joke build of, say, 2 bloodthirsters, Guardian Angel, Aegis, Force of Nature, and Thornmail would be funny to watch.

Musokage

06-11-2010

Quote:
Spazzilla X:
to add to your post Musokage

Ive found warmogs to be actually quite good on him.
As well as those items.

Haven't tried that, but the only issue I see with that is Warmog's is VERY expensive, and W's returns just aren't enough to justify that kind of investment in my opinion. That said, you claim to have had some good results with it, and I'm not going to call you a liar, if it works awesome.

Which brings me to something I've always said, just because one build is right doesn't mean others are wrong.

I'll try Mog's out next time I get a stupid good early lead.

Quote:
Absolute Omni:

I go with
Dorans
Boots
Phage
ninja / mercs
Zeal (essensial movement speed and the crit chance is amazing with his W)
Frozen
Brutalizer > Ghostblade
Starks
Sell dorans for IE
Zeal into Dancer, or BT.

Without mallet you wont ever really kill anyone without em being bad, as you have no way of chasing, as his Q is more or less useless.

OP: Olaf aint THAT fun, he's just another autoattacker, can't understand why everyone hypes em so much, stick to a caster imo, or if you really want an autoattacker for Jax for melee.

HP is on a non-issue, pop ragnarok, run into the enemy team and start chopping; if you have IE and a Bthirster they simply won't be able to kill you, your lifesteal > their damage. If you get two, its gg, period; champions will explode in half a dozen hits or less and you can liquidate towers. If you have Kayle on your team HAHAHAHA OH WOW. No damage and no CC? ROfl McWaaflllez.

Q useless? Its stupid good, its like a mundo cleaver that has railgun properties. Boots of swiftness take care of your chasing needs while being cheaper than merc's; ragnarok lets you get away with that.

Olaf is more than an auto-attacker, and vikings are always fun. His main selling point for me? True damage. 300+ Unmitigatable damage on a three second CD... delicious.