Alien First Contact in Valoran!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMountainGoat

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxifer View Post
They're shooting themselves in the foot. Despite what I've explained, a lot of my friends don't play this because they're convinced that you pay money for better stuff. The fact that these legendary skins are half the price of HoN by themselves gives them more reason to be content in the fact that they don't have to pay anything else ever. I know skins are aesthetic, but for ****s sake, this is ridiculous. The skins are meant to keep things fresh and fun, there is no reason there should be "exclusive" skins at such an insane price.
all micro-transaction free-to-play games have this "you get what you put in" thing going for them. buying a new skin definitely can pump a lot more enjoyment into an old champ, but you didn't have to pay for that up front. instead, you bought it when the fun was fading, and it brought new life to the champ. sure, you know scuba gragas is an option, and you're not ready to invest any money into the game yet, but there always is at least some small desire to have it, and when you finally 'cave' and decide to just buy it ("oh god, i'm spending money on a free game" you think), you think it's really cool to finally have, and you get a lot of fun out of using it for a while.

standard games that you buy up-front don't have that. when it's boring, it's boring. there was nothing unavailable to entice you, or create any longing to where when you finally recieve it, you have something totally new to enjoy. you get all content from the start, and when you got it all... you got it all.

(side note, valve understands this tactic very well, and have cleverly implemented it into tf2 without cost via hats and frequent free content updates)

this is my experience with paying $$$ for needless stuff in 'free' games, tho. sure, i look back at the hundreds of dollars spent on 'free' games and think "wtf that was so pointless" sometimes, but then i remember that spending all that money for silly cosmetic stuff kept the game fresh and enjoyable FAR longer than any other normal non-free game i've played. maybe i spent 100$ and the game was fun for an entire year.. well, i payed 60$ for call of duty, and it got old after 2 weeks. either way, you're just paying for entertainment, but which was the better investment?

tl;dr - spending tons of money on skins in LoL increases the longevity of your enjoyment with the game, making it worth far more than paying for 30$ for HoN

/end irrelevant walloftext @__@

StretchyStretch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

This skin will only deserve legendary status if his turrets are changed to the little guy in this pic.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...4&d=1274311149

Or he has a new, awesome, alien voice over. Or both!

Mr Bul Gogi

06-11-2010

I hope this skin doesn't encourage more people to play Heimdinger because he is a very annoying hero.

Nykidemus

06-11-2010

A new voiceover would be pretty sweet for him too, but that's probably enough work that it may as well be put into a new dude.

Nyoongahwdup

06-11-2010

Order entropy a never ending cycle

Good Work Riot Keep it Up!

FatalToothbrush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2010

He'd better watch out for Jeff Goldblum's Mac.

Amshel

06-11-2010

Oh my, I never realized how much I would miss him until he was gone. Not that much, as it turns out.

lol jk jk The new skin looks great. I don't know about how much you want to charge for it, but tell your skin's team to keep up the good work.

Zalvor

06-11-2010

Haha nice skin! Keep the nice ones coming RIOT!

jpitty

06-11-2010

You guys should of made an Einstein Heimer. An alien Heimer doesn't even make sense if you put it along side his spells and even his speech.

maxifer

06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMountainGoat View Post
tl;dr - spending tons of money on skins in LoL increases the longevity of your enjoyment with the game, making it worth far more than paying for 30$ for HoN
I've already spent over $50 on this game. I enjoy the skins' purpose BUT it seems like they're more focused on making legendary skins than anything else. The skins were originally just recolors and we complained. Instead of increasing the quality of the standard skins, the prices went up a ton instead. Then they introduce legendary skins as skins that should have been the style available in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't enjoy the skins, I just don't like the direction things are going - focused primarily on the microtransactions at the cost of balance, game modes, etc.