Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Katarina AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuchIsLife

06-11-2010

It really doesn't even make harassing easier early game. Early harass benefits enormously from a larger health pool, but AD can't can't build hp items into anything nearly as useful as Rylai.

JunKx

06-11-2010

Quote:
piratesas:
Either know what you're talking about or stop making these kind of statements, makes you look like a fool.

AP: Needlessly Large Rod = 80 AP
AD: BF Sword = 50 AD

AP: 35% of 80 AP = 28 bonus damage per dagger
AD: 55% of 50 AD = 27.5 bonus damage per dagger

So the AP here will do a whopping 5/10/15 (depending on level of DL/enemies in range) more bonus damage over the duration of the entire Death Lotus.

WAAY more indeed.

EDIT: and also, you can't cast spells on the tower.

sorry but in game you cannot just compare 1 AD item to 1 AP item...it doesn't work that way. doing it that way does make it look nice and close though.
and no you cannot cast skills on a tower, but if there are enemy minions you can BB, you can KI at any time, you can shunpo to either enemy or friendly creeps.

Priamos

06-11-2010

I ran comparisons once, and in a late-game situation, given that both AP and AS builds have around 10 K gold, an AD build will have a more powerful Death Lotus and BB, and generally deal more damage due to autoattacks. What an AP build does is have Rylai's for a slow on the ulti, Haunting Guise for more MPen, a lot more health, Zhonya's Ring for even more survivability, and access to Void Staff and Abyssal Scepter to get more MPen if necessary.

AD has more raw power, and in general is better, but AP has many little tricks that make it useful, and AP Kat is not as bad as its detractors say.

piratesas

06-11-2010

Quote:
JunKx:
sorry but in game you cannot just compare 1 AD item to 1 AP item...it doesn't work that way. doing it that way does make it look nice and close though.
and no you cannot cast skills on a tower, but if there are enemy minions you can BB, you can KI at any time, you can shunpo to either enemy or friendly creeps.

Actually you can. Give me one reason why I cannot compare the single largest base AP item to the single largest base AD item. For all intents and purposes, they are eachothers equivalent.

KI has a cooldown of 15 seconds, Lich Bane has a cooldown of 3 seconds. So yeah, activating it "any time" is simply not true. You can activate it once.

Now you can either go ahead and spout more nonsense, or you can admit that AD or AP Katarina is simply a matter of preference/team composition.

Note that I have at no point in this discussion expressed preference for either, I usually build her AD, but I am mature enough to recognize it's flaws, and APs strenghts. I have no need of trying to prove myself by shouting "mine is the best, if you don't agree you're doing it wrong."

Artelmis

06-11-2010

I like AD kat. while she's less adept at taking down groups of champions, she'll ruin one 1v1. minion waves dont stand a chance, and she can eat turrets for lunch.

Peanut88

06-11-2010

Honestly, I think that Death Lotus should be changed so that if it gets the damage from your AD, it should be physical, and if it gets it from your AP, it should be magic. That would make LW a decent buy on her as an AD build.

She should scale more off AD in general though imo, instead of just BB and DL.