Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Katarina AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheKillerWolf

06-11-2010

Quote:
Akado Bayushi:
Woah, now, let's keep it PG-13.

I always figured Katarina goes for AP because it helps her ult and her shunpo, and goes for burst with shunpo + ult, instead of better harassment with Bouncing Blade and AD. Attack speed doesn't really boost any of her abilities, so i'd rather have better burst than stronger autoattacks.

Plenty of other heroes can slam their heads into walls (towers), I'll pass.

so your saying better burst as in to shunpo (with the 3 items i have on her now) to hit for 660 dam on 1 guy. OR to bouncing blades the whole team for for 518 each with ki or without witch still deals a total more damage then that 1 shunpo.

almost forgot that her deathlotus still does more damage in ad form.....just sayin

Psi21

06-11-2010

Katarina is a bit OP now. But if you are handy enough with Deathfiregrasp you can use them too. This just complements her AP build. It is a bit ridiculous that using Killer Instincts and then Shumpo which pretty much allows Katarina to tower dive with a Deathlotus.

Deathlotus's damage was just upped too high. Don't care that it can be interrupted with a stun. It just in general does too much damage.

Ragefest

06-11-2010

Seems to be 'ability power' is just what it says, it makes you better at the ability you are performing, so it makes sense that AP could enhance a melee ability.

AD kat > AP kat

Fiolina

06-11-2010

I find that when playing Kat it really depends on what your team needs when deciding to go AP or AD. I generally like AP when I solo queue, since dying doesn't make me lose bloodthirster stacks. Sure you lose some Mejai's, but you honestly shouldn't be dying often as Kat.

In premades, though, AD is definitely the way to go.

SuchIsLife

06-11-2010

AP is generally better just because the build flows better. Rylai rush is pretty easy and gives you damage, survivability, and utility. No single AD item is anywhere near as useful to her.

piratesas

06-11-2010

Quote:
TheKillerWolf:
but why do ppl go ap is my question DL gets higher dam from AD and it makes harassing easier early game and if the rylais thing is a big deal why not just buy it later?

Quote:
TheKillerWolf:
almost forgot that her deathlotus still does more damage in ad form.....just sayin

Untrue

AP actually does a teeny bit more damage on DL per gold spent then AD, but that's pretty much negligible.

You play AD for the stronger harassment and autoattacks (AD Kat can down towers).
You play AP for the nice effects on some AP items and better survivability, Rylai's is god and Lich Bane the prophet. Won't hurt towers much though.

And also, since DL only benefits from either AP or AD, building AD and then Rylai's is really gimping your damage output. The only AP items you should consider getting when building AD are Void Staff or maybe Haunting Guise if your enemies are stacking resist.

JunKx

06-11-2010

Quote:
TheKillerWolf:

uhhh no im sorry it easily does not

all you guys can keep saying otherwise and keep building AD, it doesn't bother me none, but don't keep spreading these lies. AP build does WAAY more damage with death lotus - literally way more.

and going AP is not just for the damage on DL, its for shunpo. sure you can use ki and BB 2-3 people on their team for like 450-500 damage each but you can still do that as AP kat doing 200-250 damage each. Teamfights do not consist of 2 minutes dancing around letting you bounce off your 8s cooldown BB 10 times in order to have any effect in battle....just sayin.
auto attack? sure you do have that, but as AP kat you can easily get lich bane and auto attack for even more damage

why does katarina have AP ratios? who cares its just a game...she does well either way - like its been said she bats on both sides of the plate and everybody loves this redhead for doing so

edit:
Quote:
piratesas:
Won't hurt towers much though.
how will you not damage turrets doing 500-600 damage a hit after each spell cast with lich bane? lol

selenvar

06-11-2010

Quote:
TheKillerWolf:
i would like to see blitz get to 1000 ap with only 6 item slots i just crafted it and 3 of the best ap items gets you to 488 and still need boots unless you just ignoring that. so what 2 items gets you 512 ap

(he had mejais btw and this was before Zhonya's got changed.. he got like 5 zhonyas and a mejais fully stacked)

Actually it was a practice game and yes he was ignoring boots.. it was actually kind of funny, once he got to 1000 ap it started bugging.. and it started going down because he had so much AP.

piratesas

06-11-2010

Quote:
JunKx:
uhhh no im sorry it easily does not

all you guys can keep saying otherwise and keep building AD, it doesn't bother me none, but don't keep spreading these lies. AP build does WAAY more damage with death lotus - literally way more.

[...]

edit: how will you not damage turrets doing 500-600 damage a hit after each spell cast with lich bane? lol

Either know what you're talking about or stop making these kind of statements, makes you look like a fool.

AP: Needlessly Large Rod = 80 AP
AD: BF Sword = 50 AD

AP: 35% of 80 AP = 28 bonus damage per dagger
AD: 55% of 50 AD = 27.5 bonus damage per dagger

So the AP here will do a whopping 5/10/15 (depending on level of DL/enemies in range) more bonus damage over the duration of the entire Death Lotus.

WAAY more indeed.

EDIT: and also, you can't cast spells on the tower.

Layotees

06-11-2010

Quote:
TheKillerWolf:
but why do ppl go ap is my question DL gets higher dam from AD and it makes harassing easier early game and if the rylais thing is a big deal why not just buy it later?

Because in serious games 'justing buying it later' means you didn't get it in time to make a difference.