Katarina Vs. Akali

First Riot Post
12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Puppeteeer

06-10-2010

First of all, I do believe you CAN compare Katarina to Akali or Shaco simply because they all play the same role- go in, get kills fast and hopefully get out! Since I'm an Akali player and my brother is a Katarina player I'll leave Shaco out of this discussion.

To me it seems in early games Katarina is by far a lot stronger tha Akali, she can even effectively solo mid. Sure, with some kills Akali can become strong mid game; yet its really really hard to get any kills with Akali till she get her Ult. By that time Kat has scored a kill or two and simply starts to snowball. Naturally, during mid or late game Akali pales in comparision.

I'm not starting a QQ thread. Rather I'd sincerely like to know if this is indeed the case or am I doing something wrong with Akali while my brother is pwning with Kat. If so, I'd simply buy Kat and swallow any regrets of buying Akali.

TL;DR: Katarina seems significantly stronger than Akali in all stages of the game. Am I playing Akali wrong?

WarMammoth

06-10-2010

Katarina is a very strong hero. Akali is an average one at best. Played at the same skill level, Kat will always contribute more in her current incarnation.

logg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2010

you have spoken truth sadly. its not significant though.

Puppeteeer

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMammoth View Post
Katarina is a very strong hero. Akali is an average one at best. Played at the same skill level, Kat will always contribute more in her current incarnation.
Sorry to hear that! My feelings exactly.

Nanners

06-10-2010

Katarina = Pubstomp and good in preamdes

Akali = Pubstomper and not good in premades

Pick your poison.

Gurglingemu

06-10-2010

As you guys move up bracket-wise, you will start to see your brother do a bit worse. Intelligent players CC'ing Death Lotus will cripple him while Akali will stay somewhat strong.

That said, Katarina is still far superior with the right team setup or against uncoordinated teams.

Katjak

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurglingemu View Post
As you guys move up bracket-wise, you will start to see your brother do a bit worse. Intelligent players CC'ing Death Lotus will cripple him while Akali will stay somewhat strong.
As you move up bracket-wise Akali will have a much harder time than Kat for sure. Smart players grab vision wards for your smoke, and realize your no threat before lvl 6. It's not hard to guarantee an Akali stay underfarmed. Kat on the other hand, not the case. Even if her ult is CC'd she's got useful spammable moves and has a good early, mid, and end game. Akali's targetable nuke is much worse than Kat's and Kat's blink serves as a suitable replacement (and at times even better) for Akali's ultimate.

Reivur

06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteeer View Post
First of all, I do believe you CAN compare Katarina to Akali or Shaco simply because they all play the same role- go in, get kills fast and hopefully get out! Since I'm an Akali player and my brother is a Katarina player I'll leave Shaco out of this discussion.

To me it seems in early games Katarina is by far a lot stronger tha Akali, she can even effectively solo mid. Sure, with some kills Akali can become strong mid game; yet its really really hard to get any kills with Akali till she get her Ult. By that time Kat has scored a kill or two and simply starts to snowball. Naturally, during mid or late game Akali pales in comparision.

I'm not starting a QQ thread. Rather I'd sincerely like to know if this is indeed the case or am I doing something wrong with Akali while my brother is pwning with Kat. If so, I'd simply buy Kat and swallow any regrets of buying Akali.

TL;DR: Katarina seems significantly stronger than Akali in all stages of the game. Am I playing Akali wrong?
If there is one good thing Akali has that's better than Katarina it would be her ability to kill a backline squishy in mere moments. Katarina's closer is not that good, and trying to kill that Soraka in the back is a waste/too risky for the greater contribution she could offer for that fight. (Death Lotus)

Akali seems to have more in common with Kassadin than Katarina in that it feels like she has better burst but less of a chance of escaping after making that squishy dead or pop all their cooldowns.

She's also a better chaser than Kat, which is good early-to-mid game but becomes almost pointless since Katarina can cause a clean-up scenario after Lotus from Voracity refreshes. But I will say I think Akali's burst is significantly tied more into her skills rather than gear requirements. I have seen Tankali's do surprisingly well and have even picked up the role from time to time depending on how durable my opponents are. If they're all tanky, I go tank too and win through sustainability. If they squish, I squish. A durable Kat just can't really exist anymore like it used to be able to, not that its her role, but if situations arise to where the other team focuses you every time... Eh.

Puppeteeer

06-10-2010

Poor Akali

Arafel

Friend of Urf

06-10-2010

Akali has MUCH stronger early game burst than Katarina. With any decent disable or another burst, she is one of the best first blooders by far. She's also one of the more effective junglers, which is another huge plus. Akali can Green Beret save teammates with her slow while Kat can only save herself. Akali has a much stronger item build than Kat because of her amazing passive and the fact that AP and AD both benefit her in a huge way.

Not very comparable heroes. Being able to solo mid doesn't mean Kat's strong, it means she has a ranged attack and can last hit with two low CD resourceless abilities.

12345 ... 10