Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips for Garen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

06-10-2010

So, I'm not a new player, but I am fairly new to playing a dps carry that isn't Warwick (I got him for the Urf skin and enjoy playing him a lot.) I recently picked up Garen because his mechanics seemed interesting and I've gotten tired of playing Warwick when I'm not maining as Soraka or Heimer. Played a few practice games with him and noticed some key problems I'm having.

The first is my ability to fall back. Maybe it was the enemy team comp, but in the third practice game I played, I found myself frequently being run down by the enemy team, in spite of how much I used my qwe skills as escape mechanisms. Used Q for the boost of speed when needed. Threw up W when I saw a lot of incoming spells to soften the blow. Used E to break and avoid slows and snares. I still couldn't efficiently escape. Now, this may be a non-issue as in this game, I was frequently being chased by Teemo, and being without any sort of ranged attack to throw back at him to break his run speed buff, I would usually get mown down by him when fleeing.

The second problem I'm finding is that I'm unsure as to whether or not I should get any form of lifesteal. In my first game, I decided to forego a couple of the reccomended items like Last Whisper and get an emblem of valor (I think thats' what they call the badge thingie with the lifesteal/regen aura...if I'm way off, I couldn't tell you why I think it's called that) for the lifesteal, because Garen's regen only works when he isn't being hit, which can be a bit of a problem in teamfights. Seeing the aura, I was promptly told off by another player that Garen doesn't need any form of lifesteal, even if his passive doesn't work in combat. In my second game, I went pure AD and ASp and rocked the house, but in the third game, I found myself dying way more than I should have been. So, my question here is, obviously, Lifesteal or no lifesteal? Moreover, what kind of item build should I look at? In the games I played after the first, I focused on Infinity Edge and Last Whisper, as well as the one crit item on the reccomended list that slips my mind as to what it's named.

Finally, those two issues aside, any other important tips for playing Garen, or any non-WW carry, really?

RHINO Mk II

06-10-2010

Melee DPS all have trouble with survivability. Since garen doesn't have anything to get his health back up like warwick, you have to play a little more cautiously. It's generally a bad idea to be the first one in with garen unless you are the designated tank (which I don't recommend) I would still play Garen as a DPS champion with emphasis on armor penetration since his abilities deal physical damage. Get an infinity edge and either last whisper or yomuu's as soon as possible, then grab some survivability to make yourself useful in an all-out battle. Garen with ghostblade can close the gap quite quickly by popping his Q as well.

I haven't played garen very much, but this advice is based on my best experience playing as, with, and against him. Unfortunately he falls into the category of "just another melee DPS"

IntFam

06-10-2010

I play Garen with the conscious knowledge that he doesn't have WW's survivability. I don't normally initiate unless all my abilities are ready for use so I can burn down anyone foolish enough to come running into the bush I'm hiding in. So far, I've been playing him opportunistically after the laning phase, attacking Champs who are at maybe two thirds their total health or less. So, at the very least, I know I'm playing him as I should as a melee carry. Anyone else have some tips?

Hakairyu

06-10-2010

From what I read in this thread, you seem to be playing him well enough. Personally, I think Garen is much more suited to being a tank, since he doesn't scale as well as other melee champions.

If you think about it, in some sense, Garen's a downsized version of Pantheon early game. His damage is pretty good at that point, but not exactly comparable to Panth's. However, even in mid game, Garen's advantage quickly diminishes, and Judgment just doesn't scale well.

Ghostblade and Infinity Edge are definitely the top two items for DPS Garen. However, Phage can also be useful because it gives you a little health and if you slow the target before you Judgment, they'll be slowed for most of the duration. You really don't need much in the way of damage after these 3 items, and can focus on getting a little more survivability. Atma's Impaler isn't a bad item if you have enough health (over 2000 is fine, it gives you 40 damage that way, 4/5th of a BF Sword), because it adds damage, armor and critical strike, all of which you benefit from.

I think of Garen as an in-and-out DPS. He goes in, spins around, crits a little, and finishes off a target with his ult, before darting out. His cooldowns are short, which allows him to do this frequently, and he can initiate well (Q + W) so he can take advantage of this.

Oh, by the way, I wouldn't get life steal on Garen. Most of the time, you get life steal because
1. you're rarely in the middle of combat (e.g. Tristana) so you can heal up the little damage you take from AoE
2. you want to stay longer in lanes without having to heal up (not the case for Garen because of his passive)

colloquial

Emissary of the League

06-10-2010

You'd really have better luck in Guides and Strategy (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16) since they love talking about and helping people with builds. You'll probably get more responses as well as find more guides there than here. Also check out Leaugecraft (http://leaguecraft.com/champion/Garen) which has a lot of guides that you may find useful.

IntFam

06-11-2010

Quote:
colloquial:
Guides and Strategy (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)

Now I feel stupid. Didn't even cross my mind to try there. Guess I'll repost over there.

Wolfsona

07-14-2011

spin to win?

FearAzrael

07-14-2011

http://www.solomid.net (http://www.solomid.net)
Your best bet.

Demon Firebrand

07-14-2011

Garen is best played as Tanky DPS rather than a glass-cannon type build. Build enough armor and magic resist to be tough, and fill the rest of your item slots with damage items. This will drastically improve your survivablity while allowing you to remain a serious threat if ignored.

Typically, I build an Aegis of the Legion and one other defensive item based on the enemy team composition. Force of Nature for lots of AP casters, Thornmail for lots of physical autoattackers, and Guardian Angel if they are balanced. Possibly Banshee's Veil if I think it will mess with an enemy combo caster, or Quicksilver Sash if they have a lot of CC or an ultimate like Malzahar's Nether Grasp.

Lifesteal isn't a very good choice for Garen, his Judgement (spin) does not proc lifesteal and his attackspeed is slow. However with just Doran's Shield and his passive, you should find yourself regenerating at a very acceptable pace. If you get harassed, hang back and let your passive heal you up. If there are a lot of powerful enemy AP champions, building a Force of Nature to counter them will also provide bonus speed and a ton of regeneration.

As a melee champion, you will constantly eat harassment, whether ranged autoattacks or abilities. Running directly at enemy champions will be less effective than ambushing from bushes, Garen can stack Decisive Strike and Ghost for a very intimidating charge from the bush that will leave your foe silenced, followed by Judgement and then his ultimate if they're low enough for the kill (squishies often will be).

Henry9000

07-14-2011

U need Sunfire!!!!!! Always rush Sunfire!!!

Life steal is always good, but no rush. Leave it for late game.