LoL causing my adapter to disconnect? o.O

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lady Darena

10-08-2011

I have a Linksys AE2500 USB adapter, and for some time now, when I play LoL, it will randomly shut off. It's not just disconnecting from the internet, but the computer seems to lose it... even the internet icon on my screen vanishes.

The only thing I can do is unplug it and the plug it back in again. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the device and made sure the driver is up to date. I've also made sure I'm not behind on my Windows Update.

The reason I think this is being caused by LoL is that it doesn't happen with ANY other program I run. I've been online for entire days without any problem, and the device itself is only a few months old. I think this has begun happening only since the last patch was released, as before this didn't happen even with LoL.

Any ideas why the client or game would randomly interfere with my internet connection? Could some missing exception in my firewall be disconnecting it to compensate for something trying to come though? At this point, any information would be appreciated.

penguinsandwich

10-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darena View Post
I have a Linksys AE2500 USB adapter, and for some time now, when I play LoL, it will randomly shut off. It's not just disconnecting from the internet, but the computer seems to lose it... even the internet icon on my screen vanishes.

The only thing I can do is unplug it and the plug it back in again. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the device and made sure the driver is up to date. I've also made sure I'm not behind on my Windows Update.

The reason I think this is being caused by LoL is that it doesn't happen with ANY other program I run. I've been online for entire days without any problem, and the device itself is only a few months old. I think this has begun happening only since the last patch was released, as before this didn't happen even with LoL.

Any ideas why the client or game would randomly interfere with my internet connection? Could some missing exception in my firewall be disconnecting it to compensate for something trying to come though? At this point, any information would be appreciated.
There's several possibilities here, some of which I have personally experienced.

Your adapter may be physically designed to shut down when too much data is being passed through. This is a technique used in modern routers to combat piracy (Massive connections and data).

The next possibility lies with the hardware itself, it could be faulty and need replacing.

You would need to contact your ISP (If they issued you this model) for a technician to diagnose this issue.

The data lines in your house and the outside connections are damaged and need replacing. Or there is something causing a ton of attenuation on the lines within or around your house, something that generates a lot of static.

The port you are assigned to on their switches/servers is faulty and needs replacing. This can only be done by a technician from your ISP. This issue affected me personally when I was running a home server. It took weeks before they finally figured out the issue.\

The next possibility lies with your subscription service itself. You may be subscribed to a bandwidth capped subscription, causing you to lose connection when you continuously go over the safety net provided for exceeding the bandwidth cap.

EDIT: Your first step would be to contact your ISP about this issue.

Lady Darena

10-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsandwich View Post
Your adapter may be physically designed to shut down when too much data is being passed through. This is a technique used in modern routers to combat piracy (Massive connections and data).
This is a possibility, but I've not seen anything in the documentation that indicates this is the case, nor do I have this problem with any other game I play, some of which I KNOW draw far more bandwidth than this one does. ...Or did. Once again, this all started when the last patch was released.

Quote:
The next possibility lies with the hardware itself, it could be faulty and need replacing.
I haven't been having ANY trouble with this adapter before the last patch, so I'm going to have to discount this one. I've also run through all the settings and conditions of the adapter in live chat with the manufacturer, and they also have no idea what's causing this. This isn't the router, btw. It's the wireless adapter plugged into my computer.

Quote:
The data lines in your house and the outside connections are damaged and need replacing. Or there is something causing a ton of attenuation on the lines within or around your house, something that generates a lot of static.
Once again, I would have to discount this unless that something were added just as the latest patch was released. Before that time, I had never had the adapter disconnect randomly during a game, no matter how much lag there was, how many things were on the screen, or what mode I was playing. Nor had I had *any* kind of disconnect when playing something other than LoL.

Quote:
The port you are assigned to on their switches/servers is faulty and needs replacing. This can only be done by a technician from your ISP. This issue affected me personally when I was running a home server. It took weeks before they finally figured out the issue.
This one I seriously hope has nothing to do with it. The entire house is not losing connection; it's just me alone. Other people are online in the house as well without incident.

Quote:
The next possibility lies with your subscription service itself. You may be subscribed to a bandwidth capped subscription, causing you to lose connection when you continuously go over the safety net provided for exceeding the bandwidth cap.
To my knowledge, there is no cap on bandwidth. Though Optimum Online tends to be weird sometimes with how they distribute their bandwidth in a given area, for the most part they don't cut you off completely at random. And even if they did, that would cause me to be disconnected from the internet only. It wouldn't cause my system to not even recognize the wireless adapter.

You know how when you're connected and it shows the little computer with the waves next to it to show you're connected? And how when you're not, it shows that computer, but with a red X? I'm getting the third option; the little computer completely vanishes. That usually means you have no device to connect to a wireless network available. This is what I mean by "shutting off my adapter"... it's as if the adapter is being disconnected from my system.

So far, of your suggestions, only the very first, that the device has a failsafe that cuts it off if too much data is going through it, makes sense. But I've seen nothing to indicate that this device has that feature in it, nor did the rep I spoke to seem to know anything about it. I'll keep trying to look into it... but I think the main cause is rooted someplace in the last update.

penguinsandwich

10-08-2011

Okay. Based on this information, since you are the only one losing connection, this limits the possibilities greatly.

The adapter is malfunctioning.

The router you are assigned to has a QOS setup with a bandwidth cap assigned to your assigned internal IP or MAC address.

Something is interfering with the connection between your adapter and the router.

The router is malfunctioning.

Someone is adjusting the wireless connection settings during the time this happens and the wireless broadcast is being interrupted until the settings are finalized and ready to rebroadcast.

The port you connect the adapter to in your PC is faulty or malfunctioning.

The drivers you are using are corrupted, malfunctioning, outdated, or are unable to correctly work with the router.

Someone setup a QOS to give priority to another connection based on MAC address, thus booting you out.

Lady Darena

10-08-2011

Quote:
The adapter is malfunctioning.
I don't think this is it. The adapter is only a month old, and seeing only moderate use. And once again... it's working fine otherwise.

Quote:
The router you are assigned to has a QOS setup with a bandwidth cap assigned to your assigned internal IP or MAC address.

Someone setup a QOS to give priority to another connection based on MAC address, thus booting you out.
This *is* possible... but at the same time, I don't think so. The people who's router I'm connected to don't have the technical savvy to put something like this in place, and I like to think they would let me know if they had done it in any case. And AGAIN... it only started with the most recent patch. Before this patch, this NEVER HAPPENED. I find it hard to think they would have timed limiting me so closely to the patch as to have them occur simultaneously... though I have to admit it IS faintly possible.

Quote:
Something is interfering with the connection between your adapter and the router.
Why would it only interfere when I was playing LoL?

Quote:
The router is malfunctioning.
Since no one else is experiencing the slightest problem like this, and I'm only getting it when I play LoL, what within the functionality of LoL is causing my router to malfunction? Any ideas why it would only mess up when I play the game?

Quote:
Someone is adjusting the wireless connection settings during the time this happens and the wireless broadcast is being interrupted until the settings are finalized and ready to rebroadcast.
No. I'm not losing connection to the internet. My adapter is being disconnected. It literally stops being recognized by my computer until I pull it out and plug it back in. This isn't something to do with connection speed, signal or anything else. The adapter itself... the physical hardware... is being disconnected without anyone touching it.

Quote:
The port you connect the adapter to in your PC is faulty or malfunctioning.
This has been tested. I have two USB slots on the top of my computer, and four in back. I've tested the router in all of these. It works fine... until I get this glitch from something within the LoL client or something being transmitted through it. Then it stops being recognized and has to be pulled out and plugged in again.

Quote:
The drivers you are using are corrupted, malfunctioning, outdated, or are unable to correctly work with the router.
I reinstalled the drivers for the adapter yesterday, with assistance from a Linksys live advisor. They're up to date and uncorrupted. Once again... this problem ONLY occurs when I play LoL. I can surf and be online for days without it happening otherwise.

Right now, I'm thinking that there was some bit of data that was added with either the Dominion live patch or the Xerath patch that, when switching between connections within the game, causes this to happen.

That, or my LoL installation is just plainly too old, and needs to be uninstalled and re-installed to work properly. I'm a bit leery of doing the latter, as if things are already messed up, who knows what trouble will come of me re-installing while it's going on?

Today, when I attempted to play the game, there were a large number of people who were having trouble connecting at all... they couldn't get into the queue properly, and if you formed a group, it dropped all but the person who initiated the group... and then crashed them out as well. There was also a problem where after getting into the queue, the game wouldn't let me leave it, nor log out of the game... it would pop up the "Champion selection Imminent!" panel, then put me back in the game. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del just to shut the client down.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on now, but I think i'll just avoid playing until Riot addresses things, and perhaps try a full re-install if all else fails. If you have any other info on what it might be, please let me know.. I appreciate greatly the ideas you've thrown at me so far, as some of them just might have something to do with the problem.

penguinsandwich

10-08-2011

I too have noticed the large increase in connectionless champion selection users and auto dodgings. I have also recently experienced the Champion selection imminent lately. It is very possible that all this is related to the latest patches. I am fresh out of ideas. I really hope your situation is resolved or someone a lot smarter than I can come along and help you! :'(

K4T

11-12-2011

This just started happening for me today. I went so far as to roll back all drivers, uninstall and reinstall the client itself, disabled the firewall (made no difference), disabled and enabled my network adapter and wireless card, ummmm let's see did just about everything I could...oh also uninstalled Pando Media Boost. Enabled my firewall to allow all LOL related stuff. Still continuing to happen....and it only happens when I play a game. I can chat on this thing all day everyday without issue, and I have no issue elsewhere with any other game anywhere that I play. I am not sure what else to do and am having a hard time believing it is me or my stuff since up until now I have never had any issues and nor do I have issues elsewhere and not even really with the client other than when I enter a game. It is weird too because I hear a strange little glitchy noise in game just before or after I freeze that signifies to me that my internet connections are all going to disappear. This is some random craziness is going on here.

I just tried to run the repair utility the start of the client opening and it started and was going along then at some point did the same thing to my network adapter as it does in game, then on top of it evidently shut my entire computer down. I am telling u this is the craziest stuff happening over here.

Jyrex

11-19-2011

This also just started happening to me today. I usually am able to play LoL game after game without problem. Today I've been disconnected twice in about 8 games played. 2 of which I was unable to get the internet back up and running. I have not checked to see if any other devices could run on the net, but both my router and modem show that the net is working every time I disconnect.

I have also noticed a lot of times in games people disconnecting and I figured they just left. Now I am reconsidering that and they must be having the same issue as me. This is really breaking the matches as it is not making it fair for one team over the other if someone is gone for the whole thing.

This is a huge issue considering the style of game. I also play WoW and this has never happened to me with that game, and I'm sure there is a lot more communication server wise with that (plus I've downloaded updates and this game while playing it and had no probs). These disconnects are severely crippling fair matches....and honestly, if this is truly a LoL problem and it continues, this makes the company as a whole look like a joke if it's not fixed and not responded to.

After reading the posts, this is not a unit malfunction on the user end, this is something that needs to be repaired and fixed on the manufacture side of things. Get this fixed!

Thanks~

K4T

11-20-2011

Honestly I am glad to see someone else having this issue besides me and the initial poster. You would not believe the amount of stuff I have tried in trying to work around this problem, last nite (in task manager) I set leagueoflegends.exe to priority high, and LOLClient.exe to priorty low and that helped for a short amount of time. I was able to play 3 games under 30 min...but the issue came back hard core today. I swear I can play about 5-11 minutes on average before it makes the weird sound...everything stutters then comes to a halt and freezes completely. THEN and ONLY THEN when i click on my internet connections do I see my main connction disappear, then the remaining ones stay (though I cannot connect to them) then they all disappear and it tells me I there are no connections. There has got to be something about this program and its recent updates that is either conflicting or changing settings .... I have played this game for 2 whole years and never had an issue and I have always run Norton, had 2 firewalls, run a multitude of other things while playing, never unchecked peer 2 peer transfer, never ran as admin always had medium-high in game graphics settings. I mean for gods sake my pc is only about 2yrs old and ive been able to play this entire time til after the Shyvana patch without issue. I was one of the few people that never experienced issues in game, never had lag (even with my epic fail internet provider) never froze, never disconnected, never had session close, never had anything happen. Now this, plus excessive session closings, random rad errors etc etc... All of these things just scream to me SOFTWARE ISSUE.... or settings conflict. I just know as much stuff as I have tested and switched out it is not my computer. It has to be something else, and probably something simple that I need to add or change or adjust or install...BUT WHAT IS IT!?!??!?!!?

this is the link to my post I have done even more than this entails

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1481060

K4T

11-21-2011

Ok I am on a laptop and I happened to be in the back removing the fan for cleaning (I have a Dell Inspiron 1545) and I happened to notice there were 2 cables kind of that looked like car battery cables so I was looking closely and one looked kind of like it was popped up a little. So I pushed it back on and closed it back up and turned on the computer and low and behold my fan kicked on really good like louder than it has been in a while. So now I am wondering if that loose connection was the cause of all this issue? I played a few games and no problems, although I have not gone over 30 minutes and the night before last I got a few games in at about the 30 minute mark without issue) However as I jostle my laptop around, a loose connection would definitely explain the intermitent activity I was experiencing. So anyhow I will post again if the issue comes back. Might be worth a check for those of you having this issue and running on a laptop.