The Jungle Book - A community based jungle guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brawny Hooves

10-08-2011

When jungling to acquire one of the buff's (Blue or Red Buff) ALWAYS smite for the last hit, do the quick math to see what HP the Buff holder needs to be at for your smite to kill it, I can not stress this enough, I've seen plenty of people just smite halfway through killing it.

PROTIP: the mobs regen HP too, so not using smite to kill the monster WILL make you take unnecessary damage, as well as leave you open to be smite stolen.

Brawny Hooves

10-08-2011

On junglers that have abilities which reset attack timer's (Trundle's and Xin's Q abilities) make sure to cast them DIRECTLY after an auto attack for the quickest clear times.

As well as on Udyr, (If starting with Tiger Stance) use the ability, which will give you the On next hit buff, then after you attack the golem, wait for the DOT to go away, then recast Tiger stance.

Rex Draconem

10-08-2011

for junglers who get their main ganking abilities at level 6 or you are still learning how to jungle or what have you there is a safe route to take if you want to reach level 6 relatively quickly.

Wolves -> wraiths (smite) -> Golems -> back -> blue (smite) -> wolves -> wraiths -> golems ->red (smite)-> wolves -> wraiths -> golems. this has gotten me to level 6 by ~6:30

its another option that does work though I only found this useful for specific junglers such as nocturne, warwick, skarner, and others that their main ganking abilities at 6.

this is not the most efficient route I'm sure but it is an option that can be mentioned

Viribe

10-08-2011

You need to efficiently farm creeps If your forcing yourself to gank top while you just finished dg your losing valuable time and gold. therefore structure your route to include ganks.

The std route has 3 opening for ganks in your first round (blue to dg)
1. after blue you just hit two and can easily gank top (best with strong ganking champions such as: nunu, gp, rammus, and xin zhao.)
2. after wraiths you hit lvl 3 and can easily gank mid (works well for farming junglers examples are: trundle, udyr, fiddle,)
3. you hit lvl 4 with red buff and can easily gank bottom (best for sustained junglers since many will be too weak at this point and will have to go back and heal: warwick, olaf with proper runes and leash)

std route can be branched into a counter jungle route with fast jungles but thats a post to itself.

Thats just the insight of one route and there are other ones stonewall008 has a pretty good explaination on optimal routes for your champion (optimal doesnt mean its the best).

ColossusCrusher

10-08-2011

Also, if you need to jungle a tank, Amumu and Rammus are generally the ones seen, but Malphite can be surprisingly effective. His Q provides moderate ganks at level four and once he hits level six his ganks can be just as or even deadlier than Amumu or Nocturne, provided you aim properly. He's pretty blue reliant early, but once you get some mana, either from Frozen Heart, Banshee's Veil or whatever, he doesn't need it as much. And please, please, PLEASE don't build him full tank. He needs that Atma's. Wriggle's is pretty useful on him too in the jungle, for obvious reasons.

Yarr0w

10-08-2011

Have a jungling plan. Know what route your champion can take quickest and most efficiently. After completing your route, know if you're going to either:

a. Counter jungle if they have a jungler

b. Cover a lane if someone is low

or c. gank.

After doing A,B, or C, proceed to re-clear your jungle and then do ABC again until later in the game when team fights start happening after the "laning phase."

Also be sure to stay on top of killing dragon, its could change the game.

Espy Psyche

10-09-2011

I jungle Irelia pretty often, and I thought I'd put some info up on her because she's an odd jungler.

For runes, I'm running Attack Speed reds, HP/Level yellows. Right now I have CDR blues, but I think I'm gonna see if that's even the best option. I have two ASpd quints and a Exp quint so it's just enough for me to get to 2 from just blue camp. Irelia relies on her attack speed to do damage and sustain herself in the jungle.

For masteries, I'm running 11/19/0 and taking the masteries that affect minions. For skills, I take them in the following order: W, Q, W, E, W, R, Q. Her W is first because Irelia's jungling is entirely dependent on her true damage mechanic and her passive lifesteal. For summoner spells, I either take Smite/Exhaust or Smite/Ghost. I prefer Exhaust, but I take Ghost when people threaten to report me for not having an escape spell.

I start blue and use a leash. Irelia doesn't need a particularly hard leash, one hit and run away is plenty. Her health will drop quite a bit on blue because she isn't CCing it at all, but once you get the buff and start on the minor lizards with it your health will go right back up from the potion and passive.

Route is blue --> wolves --> wraiths --> golems --> red. Once she finishes off red she'll be level 4 and have her E. At 4, Irelia can now gank lanes pretty easily. Q to the enemy, then E to slow (or stun if you're ganking at less than their health) and then hit W to get your true damage mechanic up. Since she now has red, she'll be slowing on every hit too and dealing additonal damage from the buff.

When ganking as Irelia, don't tower dive them. Circumvent the tower through their jungle and Q --> E them on the other side when they try to recall then retreat back into the jungle on their side of the turret.

Irelia can't kill dragon as early as others, primarily because she relies on her attack speed to sustain and dragon nerfs her attack speed. A good strategy for her is to ward it though, so she can see the enemy jungler trying to get it early and gank him when he tries. Her ganks, especially with exhaust, are quite strong.

Cragspyder

10-10-2011

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for jungling with Shen. I realize he's not a popular jungle or tank because the character itself is not very strong, however I have been jungling with him for a bit with mixed success.

I get 5 health pots and cloth armour. My route has been blue > wolves > wraiths > red > golems but I find that it is very tight health-wise for me, likely due to my runes which are not jungle-optimal. So I find I have to go back after golems as I am too low health to gank and when I get back blue is worn off, though I suppose I could gank with red only. It does allow me to pick up Boots of Speed as well.

Do you think I should change to wolves > wraiths > golems > back > full jungle starting with blue and gank at level 5 instead? I watched Stonewall's jungle video for Shen and he does the route I mentioned earlier, except due to his runes he ends up with 3/4s health left by golems and I don't think he even used all five pots. Also, he killed the single wolf first at the beginning which I suppose might make a huge difference though I don't see how?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have heard that proper runes make or break a jungler more then any masteries, item or character choices, which if true I suppose I will stop jungling until I get a proper runepage set up for it.

Also, I have been getting Wriggle's Lantern as my first item which seems to help jungling quite a bit but also seems to wreck my survivability, causing much team rage later in the game. It really shouldn't as Wriggle's Lantern is a tankish sort of item (and free wards are nice as well) but the lifesteal doesn't benefit Shen too much. I follow with Mercury Treads and then usually Aegis of the Legion. Would I be better off just getting Madred's Razors and getting my first tank item earlier?

Beaumains

10-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalusc1 View Post
Always pick smite,
and don't gank over-extended lanes.
This needs to be quoted in the OP. Always take smite, even if you don't "need" it. For natural junglers, Smite allows them to jungle faster, and with higher health, both of which enable them to counterjungle and resist counterjungling. It also means their ganks are safer.

As for my own 2 cents. Flash is an extremely potent option for the jungler. Assuming your opponents are at least as smart as you, they will try to gimp your success as a jungler.
- If they try ganking you, Flash gives you an emergency escape.
- If they try to steal your creeps/buffs, Flash will enable you a more secure pursuit if you catch them, or a more secure response (steal their creeps) if you don't.
- If they ward against your lane ganks, Flash gives you the ability to gank creatively; and Flash is primarily a positioning tool, so this is where it's strongest.
- It can also help secure dragon or Baron, but I'd rather not spill everything.

However, Flash is not a must; if your particular jungling champ would make better use of another summoner spell, then go for that one. I mention Flash because it seems to be misunderstood and/or highly underrated.