Who should tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Biggus Fishus

10-08-2011

Play Cho'gath, fill every role.

Tank? Check, and an unkillable one at that.
Support? Well, you can be useful without too many items, so check.
Jungle? Superspecialawesome Check.
Carry? Attack speed build is incredibly strong, so check.
AP? Checkaroo.

xXSanctuaryXx

10-08-2011

You're not obligated, and like others have said often it's better to have a GOOD dps than a bad tank (although not always, I had a bad amumu in one game who although he couldnt land a skillshot to save his life and wasted his ults I still would have taken him over... no actually never mind he was awful. NEVER be a bad tank). If you hate tanking but your team is being instalock ****s just learn to play a tanky DPS like Xin Zhao or Nasus really well and fake tank, in most normal games it's good enough and people dogpile the first champ they see.

That said, as much as I love being the guy who goes 15/2/8 with Ashe (actually I really do that more with Amumu, but that's besides the point) or some other DPS squishy, usually I'm more of a benefit to my team by playing the role no one else really wants to play and doing it really ****ing well. So I learned how to play the most OP tank champs I could find and carry my teams to victory. I highly recommend you do the same, my win-loss ratio has skyrocketed positive since I learned this.

Also, play draft mode, people actually seem to give a **** about a decent team comp more often than not.

UbberTengen

10-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post
When ever this happens to me I wait a few seconds generally. I like playing the tank, but not always.

If your team tells you to tank after instalocking I would just pick who ever you feel like playing, if on the other hand no one says anything and you want to pick up the slack I would just go tank.

Either way you are not obligated to tank when your entire team decides to through team work and communication out the window.
This ^

Beaumains

10-11-2011

Yeah, the way I see it, if everybody else insta-locks assassins/carries, they clearly don't care a whole lot about winning, which means you're free to play whatever you feel like. Relax, don't worry about winning that match; odds are the other side has a bunch of insta-lockers too.

If you want to make your pick based on increasing chances of success; consider a tank - but make that decision thoughtfully; maybe a support would be a better option; or maybe a mage would, since 4 AD carries means they'll all just stack armor, and that effectively makes your 4 'friends' automatically tanks for you.

If they all insta-lock and tell you to tank, I would advise against it. That's proof that, in addition to not really caring about victory, they are a player(s) such that your pick may have little if any bearing on the game's outcome.

If they ask, you to tank, or politely suggest it - e.g. "it would be awesome if you could tank," - consider it, but don't feel obligated. The bottom line is that they insta-locked without consulting you first; they don't even know if you have a tank, so expecting you to pick one up (possibly first time ever) really tells you something.

Quiters R Ghey

10-11-2011

i normally pick soraka with revive and clarity if that happens, and someone will give me a new team

Nefarious Intent

10-12-2011

i love when people want to isntalock and are terrible at the champ.. but tanks arent really needed.. ive won many a game with no tanks on my team against tanks.. wanna kill a tower? push with ur minions and kill it, people are usually smart enuf to not focus the tank in a teamfight but if there not yeah i guess but the tank gets focused down in 2 seconds anyways.. not really a point to having a tank imo

EleJames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

Personally: I like winning. I can play any role (not any champ) well enough. I will be the responsible one and play tank or support.

Yeah i hate you for auto-locking, but i still wanna win.

EleJames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2011

teams dont need "tanks". teams win (usually) when they have more durability and CC.

I support a banshees veil on EVERY champ.

AP carry? RotA
AD carry? Frozen Mallet

to be useful to your team you should not be dead.

EzraTwitch

10-12-2011

Short Answer: No

Long Answer:Time to dust off Sunfire Eve. (In game "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY DONT STACK, I DO THIS IN DOTA ALL THE TIME")

Metroid Queen

10-12-2011

Hm, considering the last time that happened I decided to let someone else tank and it was just an abomination...

I try to tank more matches...Just to avoid the occasional derp. xD (Of course, we all have our occasional derp moments,not just team mates so it goes without saying.)