Thornmail: The secret is out!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViashinoWizard

10-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewnam View Post
The damage return on thornmail is negligible if any AD carries are actually smart enough to adjust their build. Merc tread + hexdrinker + wit's end combined with any lifesteal item will take care of that, though it does mean they're gaining less or no health from their lifesteal where otherwise they might get a lot.

That being said, 100 armor for 2000g still isn't bad, but there's nothing they can do to get around you getting a ton of CDR and the haste debuff aura from a frozen heart.
It still forces them to buy less AD/AS and counters out some of the survivability those items give.

Also, Thornmail calculates damage before it's reduced by armor, so they need more than 30% lifesteal.

Tewnam

10-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
It still forces them to buy less AD/AS and counters out some of the survivability those items give.

Also, Thornmail calculates damage before it's reduced by armor, so they need more than 30% lifesteal.
If they're only buying AD/AS and no MR/Armor then they should be getting destroyed anyway. And yes, I know it calculates before armor, but you're forgetting that it also does magic damage and is thus reduced by MR.

With merc, hex, and wit's you're going to be around 150 MR and so you're only actually taking 12% of your damage returned. Still a reasonable amount, but if that's the only armor they have, then a single lifesteal item will mostly counter it. Not to mention that MR is useful against far more abilities than just that thornmail. As I said in my post, yes it's still useful because it will reduce the amount of life return they get, but it's not going to kill them.

It's great against people that just buy big damage items and don't adjust to the game at hand.

LuckSkillVictory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdelgato View Post
wat if rammus has sunfires thornmail warmogs aegis randuins? then getti nthornmail is usless

anyways idk why i said but il try thornmail
You don't understand how thornmail works do you?

MindlessLegend

10-07-2011

I used 2 thorn mails vs jax and he still kill me, Gunblade stacking too op, too much life/vamp leeching.

Weirding

10-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewnam View Post
The damage return on thornmail is negligible if any AD carries are actually smart enough to adjust their build. Merc tread + hexdrinker + wit's end combined with any lifesteal item will take care of that, though it does mean they're gaining less or no health from their lifesteal where otherwise they might get a lot.

That being said, 100 armor for 2000g still isn't bad, but there's nothing they can do to get around you getting a ton of CDR and the haste debuff aura from a frozen heart.
So what you are saying is that an AD carry has to get over 5k worth of items to counter a 2k item, and none of those 5k worth of items actually counters the damage reduction?

Thornmail is still amazing then.

Rafein

10-07-2011

Yeah, i think I'd rather have Frozen Heart. The Atk speed slow works well, especially since most champs get Lifesteal to heal through Thronmail.

I've been messing with a funky Udyr build, where I start with Tear, point in all q,w,e. Then spam the hell outta abilities before you leave fountain. Then Finish Manamune and rush Frozen Heart. Very nice AD and the CDR lets me switch between tiger/turtle much faser, so I'm doing more damage and taking less. Add Dodge boots, Sanguine Blade, and go odin's Veil, and he turns scary.

I do think Riot should look at Tear and fountain farming. With spammable abilities, can get 120+ Mana easily before you can even leave the fountain..

nukular power

10-07-2011

Not sure how you define secret...