3 v 3 and Supports

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

darkjak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2011

taric def

Noikat

10-06-2011

Karma solo bot is viable as well. PLAYED AS A SUPPORT.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I was against her. She wasn't like most karmas you see that are either too aggressive while playing as a support or too pasive while trying to play as a mage.

She used a doran build, leveled first Q->E->W. Used heal but not bomb-shield.
Ended up carrying 2 ad champs. We couldn't do anything. They got to late game and we were screwed.

KawaiiSchoolGirl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2011

Ya I think Zilean is the best but mainly cos you play him like an AP carry, you just have that utility value too.

Soraka and Sona both work, but as mentioned above you build them with more AP than support items. WotA and Rylais work great on both champs depending on your team.

Janna seems less viable to me simply because even building her AP, it can be difficult to deal damage with her. With that said, however, there's less space and more chokes on TT and this, combined with her tornado range can mean a good Janna will be game changing.

Taric is good in 3s. Armor buff, stun, ulti buff, all work for him. He can be tanky and still have AP. Just a beast.

Alistar, Karma and Kayle are, imo, more suited to 5s. Also you can take champs like Orianna and Morgana that essentially double as an AP carry and Support. Orianna is actually really good in 3s as well because the latest range nerf affects her much less in 3s than in 5s.

As for specific pairings there are too many to list, but I'll give some examples. Taric works well laning with basically any champion that has a stun. Stun/CC locking in 3s is really effective early game. Someone like Renekton works. Janna obviously works with basically any AD carry, but because of her tornados she can actually handle a solo lane if you have a jungler. The difference between Janna in 3s and 5s is that in 3s you usually want to be supporting a melee AD rather than ranged ad. Janna and Tryn, for example, is godly. Soraka and Sona can basically support anyone, and while Sona isn't great in a solo lane Soraka with Starcall is. Zilean also works with just about anyone but you usually wanna be giving that speed buff and ult to an auto attacker. Tryn, Jax, even Vayne come to mind.

infinite azure

10-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by synyster jay View Post
Ya I think Zilean is the best but mainly cos you play him like an AP carry, you just have that utility value too.

Soraka and Sona both work, but as mentioned above you build them with more AP than support items. WotA and Rylais work great on both champs depending on your team.

Janna seems less viable to me simply because even building her AP, it can be difficult to deal damage with her. With that said, however, there's less space and more chokes on TT and this, combined with her tornado range can mean a good Janna will be game changing.

Taric is good in 3s. Armor buff, stun, ulti buff, all work for him. He can be tanky and still have AP. Just a beast.

Alistar, Karma and Kayle are, imo, more suited to 5s. Also you can take champs like Orianna and Morgana that essentially double as an AP carry and Support. Orianna is actually really good in 3s as well because the latest range nerf affects her much less in 3s than in 5s.
Alistar, karma and kayle are actually among the best supports, in fact EU meta claims the only viable supports are alistar karma. Kayle makes 1/3 of your team invincible, which is super strong, while also having carry damage. Karma has crazy good scaling on an AoE burst and shield, alistar has so much CC and can headbutt people over walls and into fountain, What is this I don't even.

John Madden

Recruiter

10-07-2011

Depends on how someone defines a support. Soraka/Karma/even Janna for instance can take a solo lane and masquerade as an AP carry while having some support power. This is okay but they won't have as much burst or damage as a normal carry would, so your jungle needs to get some decent farm and damage as well.

If you want a dedicated support, you have to duo top/roam with someone like Taric or Alistar. Ideally you will be able to shutdown their top lane and feed your lane partner (Vayne, Cait, etc.), and be able to roam and interrupt their jungler or gank bot. Excessive warding is crucial. This style was somewhat popular in EU recently.

Ex: Taric/Ali + Vayne/Cait/Kog/Ez + Brand/Cass/Annie/Orianna (bot)

Lots of burst at range and CC to keep your carries safe and fed, with enough damage to carry you through at least mid-game, hopefully not allowing your opponents to get nearly as much farm. Risky playstyle that punishes your mistakes hard.

Conncept

10-07-2011

I love playing support, but few are as efffective on TT as Dominion and SR. Sona is the worst of all and she is my main. The problem is supports usefulness is equal to the number of people they can support. Sona for instance, she has a damage aura, in a team fight on SR this can give everyone a small damage bonus which can stack up to and exceed 1200 damage in a single fight, and in addition can give heals and defense buffs which deny thousands of points of damage from the enemy teams output. However in TT, this buff applies to a measly three people, one of which is Sona, who only does paltry burst damage... making it way less useful. Many support characters have similar issues...

EDIT: But, as stated above me, most supports can play AP/off-support... but that isn't really playing support in my opinion

Captain Kopp

10-07-2011

Ive seen a soraka 1 vs 2 jax and trynd from full health with ults on 3s, just saying. It was a bad soraka too.

infinite azure

10-07-2011

I think the major flaw in some supports is not contributing enough alone to make them worth a slot, in some cases they can act as a hyper-utility mage, such as janna with tons of disables and a strong utility ult, or karma with huge damage mitigation on her shield and a respectable burst.

Playing them as a pseudo-AD carry or mage is really the only approach simply because there is no room for a dedicated support on a 3 person team. This means Sona better have AD carry runes and rush a sheen, and karma better be stackin some AP. They have the potential to work, but as a team you have to make their buffs worth it to the carry, whether that is in the support picking up extra damage themselves, or trying to mitigate the risk of an already risky glass carry strat. Like rushing IE before getting even 3 dorans or a ruby crystal/giantsbelt.

Rabbitsuit

10-08-2011

Haha, so essentially they're all fine. They just all need farm and to build for some damage?

I think I'll try to push for Soraka and Morgana picks.

dream

Adjudicator

10-08-2011

Just want to echo what most people have said already. Support heroes in general are fine as long as you dont build them like SR supports, you have to be able to do damage.

I'll also add that I don't think any supports who depend on allies all the time are viable. There are a lot of situations in TT where you'll have to be able to fend for yourself, even if only for short periods of time. For example: Janna can solo lane, clear creep waves, survive ganks, and zone out dragon all by herself. Someone like Sona doesn't really have the damage or survivability to pull all those things off by herself, at least not very well.