Why does the patch take so long?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Virux

Senior Member

10-05-2011

What the hell do they do to take 3 hours with an offline server? (edit: It's only been 3 hours so far, is what I mean)
I couldn't spend 3 hours offline redesigning their entire website.

All they're doing is tweaking some champion values, which are all probably kept server side, and adding a new champion with skins that are downloaded. All of this should just be made behind the scenes and then servers taken down, files copied over and download added to startup queue, start servers back up and they're done?

I don't get it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HolyChalice

Senior Member

10-05-2011

adobe air

'nuff said


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightyears

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-05-2011

It's down for 10 hours with this patch, not 3.

And you obviously have never done change control in a NOC.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Almighty J

Senior Member

10-05-2011

It is a hell of a long time for a patch.

Also what is taking 3 hours? isn't the patch 10 :S


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadow Squiggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-05-2011

Huh thought it is 10 house and not 3 this time...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Virux

Senior Member

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightyears View Post
It's down for 10 hours with this patch, not 3.

And you obviously have never done change control in a NOC.
But it's such a small amount of files and data.. and it's not like they have to manage it for different people, everybody is getting the same download. They've only got a core facility in California, and a much smaller one in some other state(I think it's a web design team), so it's not like trying to update a spread network.

Edit: I mean if you can share insight that would be great, I just don't understand what would take this long other than actually designing the patch.. lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EagLeaf

Senior Member

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVirux View Post
What the hell do they do to take 3 hours with an offline server? (edit: It's only been 3 hours so far, is what I mean)
I couldn't spend 3 hours offline redesigning their entire website.

All they're doing is tweaking some champion values, which are all probably kept server side, and adding a new champion with skins that are downloaded. All of this should just be made behind the scenes and then servers taken down, files copied over and download added to startup queue, start servers back up and they're done?

I don't get it.
They're:

Packaging the patch and sending it to every single server in NA (may be done before the servers go down, though I'm not sure)
Disconnecting every summoner from their servers
Installing the patches on every single server
Restarting every single server (this itself can take a very long time to accomplish)
Running tests to see if the patch is stable
Reconnecting every server
Making sure the patch packages are being sent out correctly and aren't causing any conflicts.

The logistics of handling every single server do all of this and making sure that nothing goes wrong makes this take a long time. You're acting like it's a single machine which is accepting the files and spits out data to every connecting summoner. It's more complex than that and sometimes there are some changes which you do not see in the patch notes (remember the Chinese fonts that were imported that one patch) which can take a while to sort out on each machine.

Controlling a group of machines isn't the same as controlling a single machine.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

coffee addict

Senior Member

10-05-2011

perhaps they tear down the servers and manually clean the dust out of them?

i don't know

or maybe they just sit around for 9 hours then install patch in the last 30 minutes


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Virux

Senior Member

10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglef2 View Post
They're:

Packaging the patch and sending it to every single server in NA (may be done before the servers go down, though I'm not sure)
Disconnecting every summoner from their servers
Installing the patches on every single server
Restarting every single server (this itself can take a very long time to accomplish)
Running tests to see if the patch is stable
Reconnecting every server
Making sure the patch packages are being sent out correctly and aren't causing any conflicts.

The logistics of handling every single server do all of this and making sure that nothing goes wrong makes this take a long time. You're acting like it's a single machine which is accepting the files and spits out data to every connecting summoner. It's more complex than that and sometimes there are some changes which you do not see in the patch notes (remember the Chinese fonts that were imported that one patch) which can take a while to sort out on each machine.

Controlling a group of machines isn't the same as controlling a single machine.
Perhaps if it was like that it would make sense. But webservers don't have duplicate databases on every machine. The 'database'/patch machines would be contained on a fraction of computers inside the local network, being that LAN speeds are high enough to distribute game data to the game controller systems. Not only that, but I'm sure if they had to update and test every system they would have a modular and automatic way to do it. Especially by now.
Edit: But I have absolutely no idea how their internal network is designed. I'm just guessing as this is how the majority of networks I do know of are set up.
Edit 2: Also disconnecting every summoner takes only a split second. lol
Edit 3: And your last step doesn't even happen until after the patch has been released.

@swoleasbro: hahaha that's funny **** man made my day


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZiggyOnMars

Senior Member

10-05-2011

because...they finished their job then go to bed for 8 hours.


12