Healing Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotZALE

Associate Software Engineer

07-21-2009

So I was thinking about healing champions in the game. The only real one right now is Soraka, and she's pretty much one-dimensional. No real attacks, all her skills are defensive and healing except for starfall, but that's nothing more than an early-game annoyance.
I played a couple games as Soraka, and she's actually a lot of fun, but the way it always turns out is: Soraka hangs back, the other team goes for her first, if Soraka can heal through it her teammates bring the enemies down.
Something that might be more interesting in a healer is a bit of flexibility and some other options for playstyles.
Imagine a healer that is half offensive (say two damaging abilities) and half defensive/healing (a defensive ultimate and a heal spell). A really cool healing mechanic, I think, would be to give a healer the ability to give their health away to allies, since healers are going to be prime targets, so they would have to balance the downside of making themselves more vulnerable with the upside of saving their allies. Furthermore, forcing the healer into combat to restore their own life (excluding the possibility of gearing for health regen, because that could be a strategy too) would force the healer to play a little more dangerously, and I think it could make a really fun experience.
So, I think an interesting reworking of Soraka (or potentially different hero) might be:

Health Drain (channeling): Steal health from an enemy.
Gift of Health: Give X of your health to target allied champion (only the health the ally gains should be increased by AP, not health you lose).
Wish: Restores mana to the friendly target unit.
Aid (ultimate): 3s cast time, teleport to target friendly champion.

Removable Disk F

07-21-2009

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...read.php?t=640

There are some interesting ideas being toyed with in that thread, you may enjoy it.

Qort

01-18-2011

soraka is good. she just needs a better CD on Q ability and more damage on E ability
and the ULT should heal ally minions. maybe give them shields just like W ability. thanks.

txtmsg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

I agree with the idea that this games needs more healers. So far I think there are five out there? (correct me if Im wrong). But I dont completely agree with the offensive healer idea.

I want to see a champ with 2 healing spells (one with a chainheal-like mechanism) a utility spell (different from mana replenishment) and a versatil ultimate like a summon for example.