Every game I play as Poppy people cry "poppy op"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prplcheez

10-03-2011

Is Poppy really OP on dominion? I haven't noticed a difference between Summoner's Rift, Twisted Treeline, and Crystal Scar. She still focuses on getting in really close and instagibbing one person, then kinda hoping for the best if more people are around. She really doesn't seem OP to me.

CaffeineJunky

10-03-2011

Those people who claim Poppy is OP typically are squishy and build no resists.

Poppy is definitely strong in Dominion due to the increased gold gain; she can get Trinity Force rather quicky and deal a whole lot of pain to squishy characters with it.

The only thing that I find too strong about Poppy is her passive, but it isn't horribly overpowered in most circumstances.

cAZNc54

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2011

imo, i believe she is more viable in cs than in sr

first, she has an advantage in small maps where her e has more walls to hit. and with less open space it increases the chances you can hit the wall increasing your chances to optimize your e.

second, mvt speed is more important in dominion than it is in classic because of the high pace of the game. being that she is one of the faster champs in the game she has that viability advantage.

third, poppy's biggest weakness has always been her ability to farm. compared to most champs, she is like the worst farmer in the game. that is why, to counter poppy, all you have to do is out lane her and not allow her any farm (or kills). since the current meta in sr are champs that have superior laning abilities, poppy loses viability there. however, in dominion you don't need to farm to get cash. you get plenty of gold for just sittin around, so that takes away a good portion of her weakness. which goes into the meta of dominion favoring more late game champs because it is easier to finish your builds. once poppy gets goin, she becomes very difficult to stop.

tl;dr - poppy makes use of small maps with her charge, mvt speed is more favorable in dominion, less need in dominion to be farmed because of the increased passive gold gain.

Prplcheez

10-03-2011

I don't even notice Poppy's passive most of the time. In fact, I really don't know exactly what it is.

The whiners do tend to be squishies (mostly Master Yis).

CaffeineJunky

10-04-2011

Quote:
I don't even notice Poppy's passive most of the time. In fact, I really don't know exactly what it is.

The whiners do tend to be squishies (mostly Master Yis).
Poppy's Passive is quite broken in terms of the actual ability itself: If an attack would deal more than 10% of her current health, then it is reduced by 50%. So in other words, she almost always has 50% damage reduction.

Panwar

10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineJunky View Post
Poppy's Passive is quite broken in terms of the actual ability itself: If an attack would deal more than 10% of her current health, then it is reduced by 50%. So in other words, she almost always has 50% damage reduction.
I was under the impression that only the amount of damage that exceeds 10% is reduced by half.

So if Poppy has 2000 hp and she gets hit for 500 damage 300 of that damage exceeds 10% of her hit points. So she is hit for 200+300/2 = 350 damage

Necks

10-04-2011

The short answer is: Yes.

gnmish

10-04-2011

OP Poppy.... OP Jax..... OP Akali.... OP Singed..... OP Rammus...... OP Shaco ... OP Heimer ... OP Trynd ..... OP Kass ..... OP Panth .... OP Nocturne ...... OP Riven ...... OP Lee Sin ...... OP Gangplank.

At some stage we should just call them viable and identify the ones that suck instead.

K J

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2011

Poppy is one of the champions that I see absolutely no reason to cry OP for. She does massive burst vs glass cannons after the 10-ish minute mark if she builds right, but it's easy enough to avoid her stun 98% of the time.

I find vayne's knock-back to be much more potent, and the stun on it is much harder to avoid since it's ranged and she can tumble through you for positioning whereas poppy needs to move, making her attack patterns obvious.

CaffeineJunky

10-04-2011

Quote:
I was under the impression that only the amount of damage that exceeds 10% is reduced by half.

So if Poppy has 2000 hp and she gets hit for 500 damage 300 of that damage exceeds 10% of her hit points. So she is hit for 200+300/2 = 350 damage
It could be this, but the literal string provided to me doesn't suggest that.

Quote:
Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures.
The problematic word here is 'exceeds'. Typically exceeds is interchangeable with 'greater than', so the statement would read:

"Any damage that is greater than ten percent of Poppy's current health is reduced by 50%."

To change this statement to have the meaning that you think is true, I would say it that it should say this:

"The excess of any damage that exceeds ten percent of Poppy's currently health is reduced by 50%."

So if this is what Riot intends, then they should change the passive's description.